Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney West Rugby Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Craig Joubert

After watching the England/Australia test, I would have to say that it was one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen.

Joubert's refereeing of the ruck was inconsistant at best, incompetent at worst. The amount of times he allowed England forwards to fringe around the ruck to slow the ball coming out was astounding, and you could see the Wallabies getting frustrated with this later in the game.

One particular ruck comes to mind - where Joubert penalised Benn Robinson for not releasing the tackled player (from which England kicked a penalty early in the 2nd half). Robinson's arms are clearly seen rising above his shoulders after the tackle before he went for the ball.

His scrum calls, like a few international referees, are too long, and caused the game to finish without a single scrum!

The amount of knock ons he missed from both sides was terrible.

Frankly, he shouldn't even be refereeing senior rugby with a performance like that.

BTW - England were the better team, but Joubert ruined the game.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Craig Joubert

Was at the game so not in the best place to judge. Will watch the game back.

What was great was watching an England team making progress. Well from an England POV any way.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Munster Association of Referees
    Grade
    IRFU Level 1 Referee
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't seen any of the games so far but I've heard from my mate in Cardiff that Steve Walsh was brutal. I've heard from dozens and dozens of people that Keith Brown was terrible in the Ireland game today and surprise surprise Australia lose and the Australian fans are complaining about the referee.

When we lose the mistakes the referee make always seem worse.
    To the Brave and Faithful Nothing is Impossible

For those who are interested in following a rugby blog or else just reading and commenting casually:

redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

England were greatly improved and deserved their victory. Cueto had a tremendous game, and Youngs was amazing, pure and simple.

Joubert needs to have a look at himself - some really poor decisions. Robinson decision outlined above just one of many ruck decisions that seemed ill thought out at best.

He was poor for both sides - England kicked their goals and scored some great tries. Well played - great test.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donal1988 View Post
    I haven't seen any of the games so far but I've heard from my mate in Cardiff that Steve Walsh was brutal. I've heard from dozens and dozens of people that Keith Brown was terrible in the Ireland game today and surprise surprise Australia lose and the Australian fans are complaining about the referee.

Well we thrashed the Scots 49-3, but I am not happy with Dave Pearson's performance today.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11240

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney West Rugby Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donal1988 View Post

Don't get me wrong, as much as it pains me to say it, the Poms played good running rugby - running rugby which seems to not belong in the same sentance as English rugby - and were by far the better team, but it is frustrating when you can clearly see that the ref has made some monumental blunders in all areas of the game.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    NA
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

England deserved there win today, with Rugby like that they can win the RWC. I still haven't learnt, never right off the English. Cueto and Ben Young's were electric, and that is some of the best Rugby I've seen ANY team play under these interpretations. Credit is well deserved.

Now to Joubert. Australia's scrum was probably marginally better than the English tonight. Joubert came to the game hoping to fault one player whenever the scrum went down, a lot of the times he was wrong. Simply wrong. Both ways.

His ruck handling was inconsistent. Both ways. He put his whistle to his mouth about 4-5 times in the match, where he thought it was a dubious turnover, but he refrained from blowing.

His release the tackler interpretation was poor. Both ways. Inconsistent, and simply incorrect.

Australia and England both got there fair share of rubbish, so really the score reflects everything.

It's a shame, because I've started to like Joubert. But it was an off performance.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

England were a class above the Wallabies today and thoroghly deserved their victory. They have shown that they can run the ball and attack out wide. It is fair to say that Australia's defence was not up to scratch but I think a lot of that comes back to being put on the back foot by some great English counter attack.
    As far as Joubert is concerned, I thought he was OK generally but that penalty against Robinson for not releasing was a shocker. He certainly wasn't the reason why Australia lost the test.
    He did miss some knock forwards from both teams and I honestly believe he was intent on not letting the scrums become a time wasting issue by finding a FK or PK from just about the first engagement of each scrum. To me this detracted from the game as I love to see the scrum contest. I would say that England's 8 would have been frustrated at not being able to have a go at the Wallaby pack. POB should make all of the referees watch Wayne Barnes' CTPE sequence from the Wallabies V Wales game. Joubert just held them too long. Robinson was one of the best FRers in the game last year but in every scrum he contested today his back was arched with his head too low.
    From Australia's point of view we made some seriously flawed decisions.
    1. O'Connor taking long range PKs for goal when he clearly does not have the distance. 2 of these early in the game when we should have put the pressure right on England with attacking LOs within their red zone.
    2. Genia's decision to take a quick tap from 15 metres out when we were 13 points down and would have only been down by 10 after a successful PK at goal. England score from a great counter after Genia tried to barge through a couple of phases later and all of a sudden the difference is 20 points instead of 10 and THAT was where the test was lost. Genia should be benched for next test.
    3. Quade Cooper is brilliant in attack but tackles about as good as me and I am fat, fifty and finished. This is a real concern and other teams would have taken notice of his weakness in this area.

For me, Joubert gets a 5 out of 10, Australia get a 5 out of 10 and England a 9 out of 10. It is the most exciting game of rugby I have seen England play in a long long time and if the scrums had been more of a contest with a decent CTPE sequence, then they probably would have got a 10 out of 10.

As Elsom commented, we were beaten by a very sharp England side today.
    Ever notice that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is this the first Test of all time without a completed scrum?

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    England deserved there win today, with Rugby like that they can win the RWC. I still haven't learnt, never right off the English. Cueto and Ben Young's were electric, and that is some of the best Rugby I've seen ANY team play under these interpretations. Credit is well deserved.
    ► "England deserved their win....."
    ► "I still haven't learned, never write-off the English."

I know I am being pedantic here, but this forum does have standards when it comes to grammar!

Typos are one thing, but the use of incorrect homonyms is annoying.

Here is a list of the most common ones.

http://homeworktips.about.com/od/eng...a/homonyms.htm

Now to Joubert. Australia's scrum was probably marginally better than the English tonight. Joubert came to the game hoping to fault one player whenever the scrum went down, a lot of the times he was wrong. Simply wrong. Both ways.
    And you know this how?

► can you read his mind?
    ► did he tell you this?

I seriously doubt that ANY referee at elite level comes into a game with that kind of preconceived idea.

His ruck handling was inconsistent. Both ways. He put his whistle to his mouth about 4-5 times in the match, where he thought it was a dubious turnover, but he refrained from blowing.

His release the tackler interpretation was poor. Both ways. Inconsistent, and simply incorrect.

Australia and England both got there fair share of rubbish, so really the score reflects everything.

It's a shame, because I've started to like Joubert. But it was an off performance.
    Agree with all of this, however, anyone can have a bad day.... Quade Cooper certainly did.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Thread Information