Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into rugby refereeing for juniors?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    1 and 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Getting into rugby refereeing for juniors?

I wrote to a rugby club and they were delighted that I wanted to help the kids referee in their club, problem is I just want to do it for my PGCE application- to be a PE teacher. What should i write back in the return mail? Should I say i just want to referee kids to aid my appliction which is honest or should I lie and say I just want to get into rugby refereeing? Other thing is I am crap at the rules, how do I explain this to the club without putting them off?
    I have done a two day course, but still crap on the rules with scrummage, rucking and mauling.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    1 and 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting into rugby refereeing for juniors?

I would like to add live near Bournemouth

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Would you rather be "economical with the truth" and get caught out later, or be straightforward in the first place?

If you really are crap on law knowledge, you need to put that right or you will not be helping anybody very much - not even yourself.

I imagine that applies in Bournemouth as well as elsewhere - welcome anyway!
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by textbook View Post
    I wrote to a rugby club and they were delighted that I wanted to help the kids referee in their club, problem is I just want to do it for my PGCE application- to be a PE teacher. What should i write back in the return mail? Should I say i just want to referee kids to aid my appliction which is honest or should I lie and say I just want to get into rugby refereeing?
    Most clubs will be glad of the help whatever your motive (as long as it's not something dodgy, obviously).

Other thing is I am crap at the rules, how do I explain this to the club without putting them off?
    Get better at them? (Starting by calling them "Laws"...)

Watch some rugby. Turn up at that club on a Saturday afternoon and watch a proper community game. Offer to run the line, etc.

I have done a two day course, but still crap on the rules with scrummage, rucking and mauling.
    Get better. Learn the book. Do the Laws test linked to this site and keep doing it until you're getting 90% or better.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    6 (Development Squad)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I spent 10 hours reading and studying the law book before attending the course, so I had a firm understanding of the laws. Watch AND referee as much rugby as possible.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    11+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

be honest with the club.
    clubs earn brownie points for community work.. you might be helping them as well as you.
    start small - most training sessions will end with a 20 minute knock-up game - if you are totally green, that might be a good starting place - ref it exactly as if it was a real game.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Textbook.

Are you offering for the 15 man game (yr 7 upwards) or the reduced format games played by kids younger than that? You need to be clear in your own mind what you are signing up for. A two-day course that left you unsure of the laws suggests the younger age groups, where detailed knowledge of law is less important. If you are thinking of the 15 man game, you need to do ELRA: the Entry Level Referee Award.

In either case, you'll need a CRB clearance through the RFU (any school-related ones won't work). If you are going for the 15-man game, you'll get found out pretty quickly so you need to do some studying. I assume you've got access the the laws; if so, head down to the club for a few Sundays and watch a ref control a game. Agree with the club that they'll start you on U.13 and U.14 games - ideally friendlies, so any mistakes won't matter too much.

You will inevitably make mistakes in your first season - one of the few certainties of reffing. If you can identify the gaps in your knowledge and correct them, excellent. You'll reach a point, however, where the errors are ones you don't recognise as they happen - and you'll need help with matters of positioning etc . Having an observer is essential at this point - ask the club if they can arrange for another club ref to watch you and give feedback.

In your shoes, I'd be absolutely upfront about all matters. If they know what to expect, they can plan accordingly. If you hide your uncertainties and they ask you to do a league decider assuming you know your stuff, it could kill the relationship.

Good luck - I hope you have a great time with it. You never know - you might get the bug!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by textbook View Post
    I wrote to a rugby club and they were delighted that I wanted to help the kids referee in their club, problem is I just want to do it for my PGCE application- to be a PE teacher. What should i write back in the return mail? Should I say i just want to referee kids to aid my appliction which is honest or should I lie and say I just want to get into rugby refereeing? Other thing is I am crap at the rules, how do I explain this to the club without putting them off?
    Am I correct in reading that you will be a PE teacher?
    No comment

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    SWG Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I know Bournemouth pretty well (assessed there a number of times this season) and theya re a very well run, large club.

Be open and honest with them - plenty of folks go for "work experience" and as a PGCE student you are doing that at schools too for part of the course anyway.

You never know you may catch the bug too and carry on doing it !

Is the two course the ELRA ? All of us keep learing the Laws, even after years of refereeing. As a teacher, you know that we learn more by doing thinhgs than just hearing the concepts.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Can't you be a PE teacher without being a rugby referee? I expect there are easier sports to master.

Thread Information