Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default To play, or to ref...

Im going into U16's this season and have been playing since U6's

I took my ERLA 1/2 course last season and have always been really interested in refereeing the game

I've reffed a few games for the younger age groups and some for mine and ive really enjoyed the experience and was thinking about joining a society

i have no idea whether to continue playing rugby for my club or start refereeing every Sunday instead...

Need help on what i should do ,, THANKS

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To play, or to ref...

Are you a good player?

It's always worth joining a Society as they can give you support and training. See which you prefer.

I was awful at playing and had a bad temperament for a player (partly because I knew I could do better) so I switched quite young.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah im not a bad player , (A team winger), Thanks, is it possible to try out at a society then ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome.

It's a hard choice I imagine. My lad did ELRA at 14 and continued playing until U17 then went and played Hockey (not much help I know) however he still refs school matches.

If you are really fit or prepared to work to get so and then work hard on the law/management stuff then the pathway for advancement is there. There are a few younger lads on here Bryan, Jacko, sgoat etc who have turned themselves over to refereeing and are well up the pyramid. Time is on your side and to get to the top you can't afford to wait until your thirties/forties (like lots of us did) and hope you'll still make it.

It really depends on your aspirations - if you want to just ref but aren't that ambitious about advancement then keep playing. If you fancy "having a go" for Elite status then start refereeing now or certainly before you get to 20.

That's my advice for what it's worth. Whatever you do it's supposed to be fun remember!

Good Luck
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doofy96 View Post
    Yeah im not a bad player , (A team winger), Thanks, is it possible to try out at a society then ?
    ok, how about this for an option (once you turn 17 of course). play for an adult team on Saturdays, and ref junior rugby on Sundays. if you find you're enjoying the reffing far more than playing and want to progress you'll need to start covering games on Saturdays too (and stop playing regularly), but either way you'll know.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lee, it would be amazing to get to elite level!....

And thats some good advice dave thanks , just need to work on fitness now so i can work hard 2 days in a row :S

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think Dave-Clark has the answer. Most of us take up reffing when the body can't take the pain any more (or, in the case of we wingers, we start developing an unfamiliarly close relationship with opposition flankers), so we have no realistic prospects of advancement in reffing. Those prospects properly belong to the younger refs, adn good luck to them all.

IMO, there's nothing quite like playing. The sense of unity with the team, the ability to bask in the glory of your own achievements, or the reflected glory of the team's. At 51, I still smile at the occasional recollection of a particular swerve or score. I've never smiled at the recollection of a particulary tricky decision correctly made, and if we are all honest, at the post-game festivities you are something of a spare willy at a wedding, even if you've had a good game and the hosts are friendly. (Don't even ask about what happens if your game was a bit off and the crowd was on your back!). A player's career in his prime will very rarely last into the mid-30's. That probably looks like forever from where you are sitting, but I'm still pretty active and have been a non-player for longer than you've been alive.

So if you have aspirations to get to the very top of reffing but doubt you could play at the same level, then I'd say take up reffing and pursue it for all you're worth. If you have no particular desire to invest heavily for success in reffing but fancy the challenge, I'd go with Dave-Clark's approach. If you are not much fussed either way, I'd say play until you can no longer get out of bed on a Sunday morning, and at that point take up reffing.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My experience is a bit different to Dixie. I was a poor to average player & enjoyed the comaraderie, etc. Started reffing when I was getting on a bit.

But for refereeing I would never have:
    1. been #4 at Melbourne C'wealth Games 7s,
    2. never been timekeeper for 2 Tests
    3. never gone to Delhi for C'wealth Games
    4. never been timekeeper for Melbourne Rebels
    5. never been timekeeper for IRB 7s in Adelaide, Wellington and Hong Kong

To be an elite player you need to be f***ing good. To be an 'elite" official, often just need to put yourself in right place at right time

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But for playing social rugby for some 25 years I would never have enjoyed the team camaraderie on away trips and tours. And would certainly never have... (sorry but you are too young doofy96 and much too impressionable to have the details, and who knows if things like that still go on??)

However 20 years of reffing, mostly grass roots social stuff, kept me in touch with the game and the players, and now on the touchline I can use some of that experience in trying to help other refs. And I don't regret any of it.

As they say, "Reach for the stars and you will get to the moon, if that is really where you want to be." Others just like to keep their feet on the ground, and nothing wrong with that. Whatever, do what you enjoy and have fun doing it

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    To be an elite player you need to be f***ing good. To be an 'elite" official, often just need to put yourself in right place at right time
    Not in England - to make it to National Panel you need to be an exceptional referee, to make it to the Elite you have to be very very very good as well. At each stage there is a competitive assessment (which is measured and objective) to get to the next step of the ladder. Yes being in the roight place at the right time helps, but ability, commitment and on-pitch performance are the key criteria.

8 elite and 45 or so national Panel Referees out of our 5,500 Society members in UK is a very small % !

Thread Information