Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pre-match 'talk'

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    if I was at your briefing I might ask exactly what action you expect to see at the command of pause

(and you'd probably mark me down as trouble maker before we'd even started )
    "You all to have your arms back off the opposition's shoulders with your head and shoulders still and above your hips" is my response.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Very same for me.

Do all the boots ask for FRs (and replacements) 9, 10 and Capt. to remain otherwise they all bugger off and you have to call them back

Do CTPE as per aboves.
    LO whatever you mark LoT etc.
    #9 in middle of tunnel and get onside.
    Quick PK FK - not behind me
    #10 - 5 at scrum 10 at the LO - you boss all the backs

Skipper is there so he can hear it all. Find out if they intend going back in to changing rooms pre-start and sort toss at mutually agreed time - I try to sort it after 2nd brief about 30 mins to kick off - any later and you end up cutailing/missing your warm up or one team is off in/coming out and/or you end up doing it just before kick off (which is fine if that's what you want)

At toss both skippers - what you want in terms of game. Mine is tackle area "protocols" and listen to what I'm saying. Decisions will be explained not debated and only at breaks in play. Discipline is your (their) responsibility.

That's about it.

If you are kicking off at 1500 try to get all the above done by 1430 at the latest.*

All this is out on the pitch - going in the changing room to do it is a pain in the arse IMHO. That gives you 5-10 minutes to sort TJs and Physios and anything else and 20 mins to get warm.

I think that's it.

YMMV

*This tends to get bollocksed up the lower the standard of match as fat smokers are just wandering out at 1450.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    lso who will be at the front of the lineout, at the first lineout I will set the gap and it's your job to keep it all day.
    even if he is 40m away not involved at a shortened lineout?

see my comments above

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

one small request from a coach... it would be really helpful to arrange with the skipper, before they start their warm up, when might be a convenient moment to come and do boots and the chat. This isn't about being dictated to, but ensuring that you get people's attention and don't break the warm-up in an inopportune moment. In the nsame way I would imagine wyou wouldn;t want to have to break your own warm up and mental prep to go and check some boots etc .

cheers

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    one small request from a coach... it would be really helpful to arrange with the skipper, before they start their warm up, when might be a convenient moment to come and do boots and the chat. This isn't about being dictated to, but ensuring that you get people's attention and don't break the warm-up in an inopportune moment. In the nsame way I would imagine wyou wouldn;t want to have to break your own warm up and mental prep to go and check some boots etc .

cheers

didds
    100% spot on first thing I do is ask for skipper and ask him when is good to do studs and briefing 99/100 they say now is fine. This is just polite surely doesn't everyone do this?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

even if he is 40m away not involved at a shortened lineout?

see my comments above

didds
    Short lineouts are called very often down here, and 99/100 I am at the front of the lineout anyway so can set a new gap if they are too close.

On your other point about talking to the teams and not interfering with their warm up I will always find a player I recognise and ask when they are going into the rooms and will follow them in and talk to them whilst they are getting changed.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

cheers

didds
    Agree - I ask the coach when he/she would like the boots and talk done. At that stage it's about working with the Coach and Captain. When we start to actually talk, the dynamic changes to me taking control, but it's a nice touch to look like you're not an autocratic prick
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

cheers

didds
    standard practice at L5 and L6 to ask when and where for boots & FR / 9 / 10 brief, who's got match cards etc.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    At the pre-match brief I get the front row, scrum half, fly half and the captain if he wants to listen. I say:

Lads, the engagement sequence will be Crouch (1 2) Touch (1 2) Pause (1 2) Engage. Listen to my calls; don't go in early; bind long on the torso, not on the arm with your knuckles up. Do not push until the ball is put in. Front man at the lineout? I'm marking the defensive line today so when it's your ball give the space, their ball the mark is yours OK? 9? I will try and stay out of your way at the scrum however I do need to see the engagement so please don't rush me until we've engaged safely. 10? At the lineout if it's caught and brought down my arm will go up. Ensure your line stays 10 metres. It's your responsibility to set your line 5 at scrums and 10 at lineouts; any doubts ask me before the set piece OK?

Doesn't take long, gets the points I need across, and doesn't hang me out dry.
    Oh, and I brief the captains at the toss:

We're a team today so please work with me. Remember your are responsible for your teams.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of good advice.

Main issues:

Sound confident and relaxed.

Go through engage sequence with all FR and FR replacements - this is critical, if you do nothing else do this!

Pretty much all else is optional, but I recommend the approach of talking to scrum half about when you will rule the ball out of a ruck (when the ball leaves the ruck is what law says), but that when the ball is won he can dig for it a bit. Hands on doesn't equal out, but he can't put hands on then mess about, if necessary tell him you will call play on.

That's the main area of uncertainty and will vary ref by ref, to a degree, so that's why you mention it.

Also mention no tap PK when you are not looking.

Most other things are well covered in Law and mentioning things like no back chat, questions only via captain, offside lines etc should go without saying - but if it suits your style then fine.

Personally I would set the lineout at the first lineout, you have time then, and you can stop them taking it till you're happy. Subsequent ones just follow the same pattern. They should know that your arm up at lineout means backs stay back.

Shorter is sweeter, they know the game, they should know the laws - you're not there to give them a crash course, merely to clarify any issues that may vary from ref to ref, and there should not be too many of those or we are wasting our time with assessments and on here.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Thread Information