Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What can RL officials learn from RU and vice-versa

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    LLP are you serious "most of the RL pundits (especially Sky) have a grasp of their rules" Stevo is as bad as Barnes!!!
    Perhaps? They are both opinionated granted however I think Eddie Hemmings reins Stevo in whereas Miles Harrison accepts what SB says as if it's gospel and indulges his LotG flights of fancy.

I like Phil Clarke - he was a fantastic player and does a good job on Sky.

I also like Brian Noble on the BBC.

Jiffy gets on my thruppenny bits as RL or RU pundit.
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 21-12-11 at 16:12.
    Now let's check out the latest sound from Courtney Love's Hole - An unknown US DJ

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    York RLRS
    Grade
    RL
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Burns View Post
    There are a number of things that are different that could work in both codes:

RL Differences:
    Two referees in the NRL. (one on the attack lines one on the defence line, I believe the defence line has the lead).
    The TMO extended powers
    The Wave off for missed penalties (makes it clear that the officials saw it and decided it missed)

RU Differences:
    The reversing of penalties
    The ATP & ability to use cards as management tool, not just an ungrudging of sanctions.
    The general warning for repeated team offences.
    I agree with most of this I would like to reverse penalties or card for a one off high shot, theres been a few times where a tackle has looked not bad enough to warrant a red but close but those upstairs wont allow me to sit the player down for ten.

As for the on report cop out mentionned elsewhere look at our disciplinary results published on our website, it seems the majority of players get away with a warning letter or sending off sufficient which means to us that the on field disciplinary is backed up by those off field as it were. Maybe if we had an RU style one where players got longer bans it might be more of a deterrent and the cards might be out more or hopefully just the game gets cleaner.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

RU officials at the grass roots level might learn to demand a match fee, as their RL counterparts do. Alternatively, RL officials at the grass roots level might learn that reffing for nothing means that you can never be accused of not providing value for money.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    York RLRS
    Grade
    RL
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yep but it wouldnt stop the speccies enquiring how much your getting paid during the match. To be honest Im not sure that many junior members take up reffing for the love of the game anymore, they get paid £18 in my area for an under 12s - under 15s game, if they double up its double money. I wish I could say that wouldnt be a factor in keeping them but I'd be lying

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RLRef1984 View Post
    Yep but it wouldnt stop the speccies enquiring how much your getting paid during the match. To be honest Im not sure that many junior members take up reffing for the love of the game anymore, they get paid £18 in my area for an under 12s - under 15s game, if they double up its double money. I wish I could say that wouldnt be a factor in keeping them but I'd be lying
    Now I'm really interested!! more than I get paid at worK
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    York RLRS
    Grade
    RL
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Dunno what it is in Cumbria but for my refs its:-

U10s / U11s £13 per game
    U12s - U15s £18 per game
    U16 and above is out of my remit but starts at £28 for a game on your doorstep

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Aus has match fees, I believe it's $40 for an adult game (which is inline with what RL gets according to above).
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
    ------------------------------

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    York RLRS
    Grade
    RL
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yep an adult game ran by BARLA affiliated leagues is cash in hand from the home team and starts at £28 for 0 - 50 miles and has bands up to £50 for a 200 mile round trip. If you referee on Rugby League Conference (an RFL affiliated competition) its £24.50 plus 30p a mile plus up to £10 allowances if you make a 200 mile round trip

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"On report" is a great idea, but in Australia particularly it's used far too often as a cop-out. When you get to the point where the referee himself sees something, says "that's a deliberate attempt to injure" (Isaac Luke trying to twist Rangi Chase's leg off) and then goes for on report, you've got a big problem.

I do agree that the judiciaries should be prepared to give longer suspensions for foul play; for some reason we've been reasonably successful in dealing with grapple tackles, and with chicken-wings, but the good old-fashioned high shot is still hanging around like a bad smell.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

RL LAWS FOR RU

THE 22M LINE

I would like to see RU do away with the current 22M line. Either push it out to 25m (a true quarter-line) or bring it back like RL to 20m (the "Gain-No Gain / Mark" provisions would move with it).

THE 40/20 KICK
    I like this. It brings skilful tactical kicking into play, and has the potential to be a lot more exciting than the current "tactic" that seems to prevail in RU, i.e. belt the bloody pigs-bladder aimlessly into the air and hope the catcher makes a mistake). As a bonus, the 40/20 kick forces the defending player to play at the ball because he knows he will lose the throw to the line-out if he lets it go into touch.

RU LAWS FOR RL

THE SHOULDER CHARGE
    I don't like it, and IMO RL should consider making it illegal. The potential for injury (from the full weight of a player at high speed using the point of his shoulder to strike an opponent) is too great to be ignored.

PENALTY TRY
    The penalty try Law in RL is far too restrictive.

Section 6.3 (d) the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team.

I like the RU Law better because the balance of probability favours the non-infringing side.

Penalty tries are very rare in RL. I can only ever recall seeing two;

► the NRL Grand Final in 1999 (for Melbourne against St George)
    ► the 2008 World Cup Final (for New Zealand against Australia)

I have seen a number of occasions in RL where a PT would likely have been awarded if they were using the RU criteria

Thread Information