Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rugby League in Northampton

Northampton RL

I hope it works but suspect it won't. This appears to be another approach to expand - this time into a RU hotbed (East Midlands) and I suspect it will be doomed to failure. Attempts to try expanding RLs boundaries have met with very limited success in UK, the only team of any "distinction" being Harlequins RL/London Broncos/Fulham.

Kent, Wales (North and South), Nottinghamshire, Gateshead have all flirted with pro/semi pro rugby and failed whilst Sheffield Eagles keep bobbling along.

Perhaps if some Saints stars crossed over for the summer it might take off? Dunno?
    Now let's check out the latest sound from Courtney Love's Hole - An unknown US DJ

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rugby League in Northampton

Maybe they can take Ashton back!!

But seriously, it's rugby all year around for Northampton. I think it could work.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Harlequins RL didn't work.

I still think the world of rugby union is hopelessly confused about RL. Because of the history of bitter conflict there is now far too much emphasis placed on being 'nice' to RL, misplaced in my view: RL is the competion for RU, it's ASDA v Tesco, or Yahoo v Google.

In the long run there will be only one type of professional rugby, the stakes are high.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

In the long run there will be only one type of professional rugby, the stakes are high.
    I don't disagree. The unfortunate thing is that decision rests with an Australian bloke with a big telephone bill!(allegedly)
    Now let's check out the latest sound from Courtney Love's Hole - An unknown US DJ

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    North Mids
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I love the idea that RL is expanding into traditional RU areas but it is ot something particularly new. Many years ago, I played in the MASWARLA league and played all over the Midlands. Unfortunately, I was forced to play under an alias as the RU would have banned me from playing RU at the time - I assume that that requirement is no longer valid!!!!!!!!!!!

I have refereed on local pitches where RL has been played on the next pitch but this was usually at university level. If RL does indeed move to summer seasons then I would not mind getting involved in refereeing as I certainly enjoyed playing the game in my youth.

But at the top level, I am in agreement that the two sports are in direct competition with each other and sooner or later ............

NM

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Na Madrai View Post
    But at the top level, I am in agreement that the two sports are in direct competition with each other and sooner or later ............

NM
    which means that inviting RL teams to use RU stadiums is like tescos lending their carparks to Sainsburys.

RL isn't the enemy, it's the competiion, it isn't evil, it's just a game and there is nothing wrong with it -- but it's a tightly competitive product in a tighty competitive world and the RU world shouldn't ever forget that.

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think people are quite capable of liking two different sports. And if played at different times, why not?
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    12+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Burns View Post
    I think people are quite capable of liking two different sports. And if played at different times, why not?
    of course they might like both - just as p eople enjoy shopping at both tescos and sainsburys, but that's rather the point isn't it? They are similar. Tesco is not a threat to Top Shop, they are different, but it is a threat to Sainsburys.

at the moment there are two sorts of rugby, neither of which have enough money to to survive, in any country.

and rugby itself faces competition from other sports : rugby of either code is the #1 sport in just one country, NZ, everywhere else it lags behind...

sooner or later there will be just one type of pro rugby. The IRB and the [whatever the RL equiv is] are fighting for survival, but i don't think the IRB always remember it.

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Don't forget Georgia, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, South Africa.

Not quite only 1 country.
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think the sports are still different enough to appeal to different audiences. Northampton are definitely going about this the right way in that they've established a community-level presence first and have built the start of a decent talent infrastructure from the ground up; in London they did it the other way round with pro clubs at the top spawning the infrastructure downwards, and it's only now I'd say we're at the stage where the pathways to improve the two professional clubs from the local area are decently solid and comprehensive and starting to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Na Madrai View Post
    I have refereed on local pitches where RL has been played on the next pitch but this was usually at university level. If RL does indeed move to summer seasons then I would not mind getting involved in refereeing as I certainly enjoyed playing the game in my youth.
    League in the South has been played in summer for the last 10 years or so. 25th February in Dagenham if you're interested, season starts in late April/early May. Course cost is £25 but you'll get that back in match fees after two games.

Thread Information