Thread: U13 yellow Card

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Some great responses to my original post - thanks to all.

Like my original post stated: a tricky one.

Would NEVER criticise any ref unless they are unsafe - certainly not the case here - was not my intention to sound as critical as it came across. He applied the law s he saw fit.

I have no doubt that he was doing what he thought was right. As a side, the YC made no difference whatsoever. Because of the disparity, I had already shaken up my team to have players out of position. The YC just gave my players the resolve to defend their hearts out and (on the next play following the YC) got a turnover from a knock on and counter attacked to score under the posts.

It was a league game but I honestly do not really care too much about results (yes, I know I am unique and proud of it). Funny thing is, the kids play best when they are enjoying themselves and have the freedom to take risks without fear of admonishment from their coach). THE OPPOSITION ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS MY LADS. - why would we want to beat them by 40 points? Nobody learns anything out of that.

Perhaps my only disappointment with the ref is that it was all about him and not the players?????? Maybe he's reading this and will learn from it.

End of monologue :-)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: U13 yellow Card

I have yellow carded an U13 for a team offence.

4 or 5 PK's in defending 22 on the trot - for differing offences. Told the skipper that there were too many PK's in this area and they were cutting down my options in how I would deal with it. He did tell his team to keep their discipline and understood what I meant. Two mins later, still in defending 22, blindside break and there is a high tackle. Not overly malicious or clothes line etc but a definate PK. Skipper and offender over - told skipper he had been warned and YC to offender.

Game finished and coach of offending team was apologetic in regards the penalties and no issue with the YC. Player came over and apologised and I told him the high tackle on it's own wasn't a YC, but he took one for the team. Bar afterwards and no-one disputed anything. Game finished 25-18 to the 'offending' side.

In this situation, I felt I didn't have a choice but it is the only one I have given at this age group in 4 years. They do have to learn as has been pointed out, but it was a last resort and wasn't the same player offending.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Reading the OP there is a strong feeling that the ref was balancing things up by requiring more from the dominant team. I haqve on occasion done this at adult matches, in a friendly game, after talking to dominant captain - "You guys are playing really well, and are at least as good as them at getting away from the tackle, and letting play go on - but why don't we take this opportunity for me to ref your boys as if they were at the next level up, more speed faster response etc? It might mean you give away a few more PKs, and allow them back in the game a bit - but are you up for the challenge?"

I don't think anything like that would be appropriate at junior rugby, and certainly not at U13. And if the captain was reluctant then I wouldn't force a bias on the game.

If this was being refereed without any "corrective bias" then certainly 7 Penalties in succession at the breadown near the goal-line is waaaaay too many - ref should have had a word after the second and YC after 3 - and I don't care if it's U13 or not.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The topic of U16 and younger leagues has been hotly debated in Hampshire's Youth Forum and after 4 seasons they are likely to be stopped next season, reverting back to a Cup Competition at all age groups U16 to U13 plusf riendlies.

Some reasons raised were :

1. Win at all costs attitude of many, affecting player discipline
    2. Limited game time for non first choice players
    3. Mental and emotional presure on players (and coaches)
    4. Growing spectator referee abuse (these are ELRA qualified club refs)
    5. Pressure on Saturday school players to 'illegally' play on Sunday too
    6. Too intense week in week out competitive rugby, reducing skills and coaching opportunties.
    7. Increase in injuries and no recovery time

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    The topic of U16 and younger leagues has been hotly debated in Hampshire's Youth Forum and after 4 seasons they are likely to be stopped next season, reverting back to a Cup Competition at all age groups U16 to U13 plusf riendlies.

Some reasons raised were :

1. Win at all costs attitude of many, affecting player discipline
    2. Limited game time for non first choice players
    3. Mental and emotional presure on players (and coaches)
    4. Growing spectator referee abuse (these are ELRA qualified club refs)
    5. Pressure on Saturday school players to 'illegally' play on Sunday too
    6. Too intense week in week out competitive rugby, reducing skills and coaching opportunties.
    7. Increase in injuries and no recovery time

1- are leagues really that different from friendlies and cup games
    2- yes, do need to balance league games (best XV) with friendlies (lots of rotation)
    3-
    4- are leagues really that different from friendlies and cup games.
    5- I do think we should play leageus after christmas, avoiding the clash with the one-term schools at least
    6- is stretching it - the largest league in Hants is 8 teams (many smaller) so that's only seven league games in a 30 week season.
    7- this is to do with the maximum numbe rof games played, not the nature of the game. We could look at having a season limit of 20 games (or 15 or whatever). I am not sure league games have more injuries than friendles and cup games.

One might argue that all-or-nothing cup games are more risky, pressured and OTT than leagues where the odd loss or draw doesn't mean you are out.

If you stop leagues in Hants I wonder if we will see Hants teams joining the HML, Surrey or Sussex leagues?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I am only passing on the comments as discussed at their meeting. It is up to the YouthForum and their Committee to make their decision based on the issues they have raised in their juristiction.

On point 6, 8 teams = 14 fixtures (home & away).
    On point 7, Cup losers go into Bowl at first round and Plate after second round.

If the decision is made the Hants CB Management and Governance Committees are unlikely to allow their affiliated Hants clubs U16 to U13 teans join external county leagues.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Games are not home and away.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

they're not home and away in essex either - looks like it could be some sort of policy across the board.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    Reading the OP there is a strong feeling that the ref was balancing things up by requiring more from the dominant team. I haqve on occasion done this at adult matches, in a friendly game, after talking to dominant captain - "You guys are playing really well, and are at least as good as them at getting away from the tackle, and letting play go on - but why don't we take this opportunity for me to ref your boys as if they were at the next level up, more speed faster response etc? It might mean you give away a few more PKs, and allow them back in the game a bit - but are you up for the challenge?"

I don't think anything like that would be appropriate at junior rugby, and certainly not at U13. And if the captain was reluctant then I wouldn't force a bias on the game.
    I'll admit that I will apply a "should know better" burden. An experienced player who is offside will more likely draw a PK than a player who is clearly a newbie. I won't ignore the latter but will take on a more coaching role. In other words, my materiality margin may vary.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

that's different from applying a 'your team is winning' bias

Thread Information