Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: U13 yellow Card

Spike - I'd be interested, generally speaking, to find out exactly where the interest for leagues stems from... maybe you could ask the CB? ;-) I hear you write a good letter/email ;-)

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeno10 View Post
    Just out of interest I got a report from our CB today looking to introduce leagues into our area from U13 upwards.

IMHO this will kill the game stone dead here. Apologies as this probably isn't the forum for this debate.
    but why spike?

our kids play in Herts-Middx Leagues http://hertsmiddxleagues.co.uk/

- just seven out of the twenty-four fixtures we have this season are league
    - the formality and competition league adds an extra excitement and bite to those few games
    - our kids enjoy league matches and were relly chuffed the year they got promoted
    - leagues actually lead to better friendlies as well - I can arrange friendlies against unknown clubs in Surrey, Sussex, Hants and Berks by looking at the league tables to see how good they are and arranging suitable, competitve games for our A and B alike, really reducing the number of 55-0 whitewashes that are no fun for losing kids, and no benefit to the winners.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate for ALL our game to be league games, but the current system where a third them are works really well, I think, and the boys get a lot from the leagues (just as they get equally as much from the friendlies)

the league is very popular with clubs as far away as bedford joining, and I believe the HML have had to close the league to new entrants outside Herts and Middx as the area was getting too large, and there's a waiting list of teams in HM wanting to enter
    Last edited by crossref; 14-02-12 at 16:02.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    But do they play at school as well?

The issue is often not the lack of competitive spirit - I have yet to meet a 10 year old rugby player who was not competitive. It is more to do with the number of competitive games of rugby per week and cumulative over season that young physiques can stand.
    There are a few different groups:

1) those who go to state schools who will generally play some form of inter school sport on Fridays, rugby league or soccer on Saturdays and then club rugby on Sunday (all competitive leagues)

2) those who go to private schools who will play rugby on both Saturday (school) and Sunday (club) and some form of mid week sport as well

When the representative season comes along those kids will generally have a school game (or rugby league) on Saturday, a club rugby game on Sunday morning, then a representative rugby game on Sunday afternoon

As the boys get older (Under 16), rugby league moves to Sundays so we will often have boys running from league to union games (or vice versa) on the same day - in some cases more than half the team.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

whilst I general agree with Davet on this, TC's post highlights something else that is possible... whilst we protect (?) lads from playing rugby for school AND club in a w/e in theory, what happens when thats ame lad is swimming Friday evening for his SC, football saturday for this AFC, the going for a bike ride with his dad and mates sat pm before playing rugby Sunday morning for his RFC club before kncokcing out a couple of games of squash on a sunday evening?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

combining rugby union and rugby league is IMO a problem.
    down here in the south RL is a summer sport, so it means kids playing endless rugby, winter, spring, summer, autumn year after year after year.. rugby..

- Some of our u15s have now been playing rugby every week since the RU U12 season started in sept 2008.. that's nearly four years of rugby without a single week off, other than christmas.

- and from Feb to April, and then from Aug to Oct the seasons/pre-seasons overlap so they are training/playing both at same time (as well as school for some)

I just don't see how long they are going to last without an off-season break, before just giving up rugby altogether..

And do we do anythnig to discourage it? On the contrary we fall over ourselves to rent our pitches to RL clubs to make a little money...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the notion of rugby burnout; too much of a good thing and all that...

But we may be a little overprotective of kids physical development just when they of an age to take all the CV exercise (though not heavy hits and frame changing work) that can be thrown at them...

I would be interested in the medical stats for exercise requirements in the 12 to 16 year age bands.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Soc/Assoc
    Swaffham
    Grade
    I am a Coach (ELRA1&2)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever do you mean Didds???

As for killing rugby here I probably need to explain. In the county we have 20 teams of which 15 run youth sections - some are huge, some not.
    There are clubs who "collect" players in order to build a team to win (at all costs), this in turn leads to a number of players being sidelined at those clubs as the next great thing takes there shirt.
    There is also a perceiption that representative squads are picked from certain teams already.
    These elements together with a league structure which IMO only encourages a win at all costs mentality will see players migrate to 1 of 3 or 4 clubs who will select and discard them accordingly and we will very quickly get left with those very few clubs all playing each other and the rest of the clubs not able to field teams.
    I can understand how this might work where there is a greater density of clubs and much larger numbers involved but can't see how it will work here and if I'm honest can't see any value to it. For competition there is a CB cup tournament at the minute (which works - sort of).
    ------------
    spike

Mr Carling had a point......

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Does that not lead to the discards going to other clubs where they will get a game and relish the opportunity to stuff one up the discarders?
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

when there are 20+ miles between clubs it might not be so simple to switch clubs, especially when relying on dad's taxi services which has to be split between 3 equally demanding kids...

when i was coaching, it was hard enough to get all the kids to training despite living in the same town. if you added a 20 mile round trip (approx distance to Brentwood, next nearest club with a full youth section), it would have been nigh on impossible.

perhaps more likely, these kids would merely give up and start sniffing glue and mugging old people (or whatever the youth of today get up to). which would be no good for the future of our sport.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeno10 View Post
    Whatever do you mean Didds???

As for killing rugby here I probably need to explain. In the county we have 20 teams of which 15 run youth sections - some are huge, some not.
    There are clubs who "collect" players in order to build a team to win (at all costs), this in turn leads to a number of players being sidelined at those clubs as the next great thing takes there shirt.
    There is also a perceiption that representative squads are picked from certain teams already.
    These elements together with a league structure which IMO only encourages a win at all costs mentality will see players migrate to 1 of 3 or 4 clubs who will select and discard them accordingly and we will very quickly get left with those very few clubs all playing each other and the rest of the clubs not able to field teams.
    I can understand how this might work where there is a greater density of clubs and much larger numbers involved but can't see how it will work here and if I'm honest can't see any value to it. For competition there is a CB cup tournament at the minute (which works - sort of).
    it sounds like your CB (no leagues) is worse than our CB (with leagues).

you should try leagues!

Yes in HML there are one or two clubs who are very strong who field A teams with loads of massive county players. They play eachother in Div 1 and (so far as i can see, looking at their fixtures) precious few friendlies. No doubt their boys are too busy lifting weights with the CB and playing for top schools. Good luck to them.

Further down in the weeds, in Div 5 , Div 6 are plenty of small clubs, along with the B teams of middle-size clubs, who have an excellent time playing evenly matched competitive games against teams with similar ethos and ability.

For friendly games we look no further than teams in Surrey 4 and 5, and Hants and Sussex 3 with similar numbers, ethos and ability. Our boy have great fun, and so do the coaches. After games they all enjoy a burger in the clubhouse and a beer for the coaches and - beleive me - promotion from Div 6 to Div 5 gets just as big a slap on the back as winning Div 1.

Thread Information