Referees in Germany

Soc/Assoc
    Germany
    Grade
    ? Regionalliga
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Safety issues?

After having played rugby for a long time, I'm most likely going to referee some games this year.

There's two issues I'm not sure I will have to do something about:

1. Some players in the women's competition wear hair pins, e.g. bobby pins (see wikipedia). Although they don't have sharp edges, they're probably illegal:

A player must not wear any items containing buckles, clips, rings, hinges, zippers, screws, bolts or rigid material or projection not otherwise permitted ...
    Since I'm just always nervous about anything happening to anyone's eyes, I'd prefer them to take them off. However, am I really supposed to check for things like that in my first games? No one else has ever worried, I think. I'd probably not set myself up for a great start;)

2. One of our local pitches is in a terrible condition: very hard, the earth appears to consist of sand and gravel rather than soil. Since the club, the Union and everyone seems to put up with it, I guess so should I? I certainly wouldn't want my kids to play there though.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Safety issues?

You can ask the women to remove hair pins at the boots/mouthguard check, though I've never heard of anyone doing so, or anyone being hurt by them. You might want to weigh up the risk of being hurt by hair pins, versus having chunks of hair torn out because its got loose.

You put up with it, though raise it with your local appointments manager, club, or local council (if it's a council pitch). Most associations will struggle to find enough pitches to play games on, so unless the pitch is demonstrably dangerous they'll play on it.

What region are you in?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RugbyFish View Post
    There's two issues I'm not sure I will have to do something about:

1. Some players in the women's competition wear hair pins, e.g. bobby pins (see wikipedia). Although they don't have sharp edges, they're probably illegal:

Since I'm just always nervous about anything happening to anyone's eyes, I'd prefer them to take them off. However, am I really supposed to check for things like that in my first games? No one else has ever worried, I think. I'd probably not set myself up for a great start
    Just don't forget to do the bra inspection for wire...I'm sure they won't mind.

I'll get my coat.....
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in Germany

Soc/Assoc
    Germany
    Grade
    ? Regionalliga
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    You put up with it, though raise it with your local appointments manager, club, or local council (if it's a council pitch). Most associations will struggle to find enough pitches to play games on, so unless the pitch is demonstrably dangerous they'll play on it.

What region are you in?
    Just realized I hadn't updated my association - I live Germany ATM. I haven't ever seen a pitch as bad as this in NZ (or anywhere else in fact) - grass doesn't grow as well over here because it gets much colder in winter as well as quite dry and hot in summer. -> Rugby playing countries tend to be green!

Will obviously talk to association first - but have a feeling no one will want to offend the club.

There seem to be almost more pitches than teams over here btw - apparently rugby used to be bigger and there are clubs who still own pitches but don't have a team.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As to the hair pins, I'd speak to the whole team at the stud check and tell them what common feminine attire you DON'T want to see on the pitch - including long fingernails, hair grips and any piercings anywhere. There is a limit to what you will physically check - but make it clear that this is a warning under law 4.5c, and anyone found to be wearing such an item on the pitch will be sent off in accordance with that law, with the associated hearing and ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine
    You might want to weigh up the risk of being hurt by hair pins, versus having chunks of hair torn out because its got loose.
    The day I see Martin Castrogiovanni or Sebastian Chabal wearing hair grips is the day I may accept that I've misunderstood the risk of chuncks of hair being torn from the scalp during rugby. Until then, the longer-haired among us (and I include Simon Thomas in this) will just have to use a ponytail tie.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You can ask the women to remove hair pins at the boots/mouthguard check, though I've never heard of anyone doing so
    You've heard of it now. I do it all the time.

No ear-rings, metal grips/clips in the hair, visible studs from piercings, no rings and a fingernail check - and I was told to do all of these on my first refereeing course.

The only thing I don't do which was on that course is ask to see the IRB label on any padding they're wearing - I never do that for men either! (Though I suppose if I lived somewhere where League was more popular I might have to consider it.)

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Referees' Association of the German Rugby Federation
    Grade
    IRB Lvl 2/1st DivisionDE
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't want to hijack this thread but I am a ref in Germany too. I have been reffing here for a few years now and most of the pitches tend to be in great nick. They are very protective of them and will often postpone games when they would almost certainly have gone ahead in Ireland.
    @RugbyFish, pls feel free to pm me if you have any questions about local peculiarities which you may be unsure of. Btw, whereabouts are you in Teutonialand?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Youth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You can ask the women to remove hair pins at the boots/mouthguard check

Mouthguard check? I've never done that.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
    Mouthguard check? I've never done that.
    Wearing of mouthguards is not a requirement in many countries (including England). Only a strong recommendation.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hair pins are illegal.

Simples.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref