Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    11+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default injured player recovers at crucial moment

- Red 12 made an interception about 30m from his own line, and hared off down the pitch

- Blue full back had come into the line to attack, so red had a clear run to the line

- but is, of course, hotly pursued by blue 14 and 10, who are on his left and right shoulders

- way ahead inside the blue 22m is an injured blue player, prostrate on the ground, being attended to by a physio while paly continued

- red 12 is fast, and with the head start from the interception it looks like he will get all the way the line, but constrained by his pursuers is heading quite close to the injured player and physio

- but when the injured blue player sees what is happening he leaps, just in time, to his feet and makes a half-tackle, not enough to stop the ball carrier, but slowing him sufficently to let his pursuers catch him.

- The injured blue player subsides to the ground again, still injured.

My friend who saw this, asked me if there is anything wrong with that ?
    I don't think there is, is there? The only thing I'd worry about is whether the physio was getting in the way, but I didn't see it, just described to me.

Referees in Switzerland

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Federation
    Grade
    Swiss Federation
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: injured player recovers at crucial moment

Nothing wrong with it from a law perspective. The physio and medics might not like it from a medical perspective though.

I would play on fro mteh incident as described. Of course many other things may require the game is stopped (i.e. medic in way)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Although if you stop play because it is getting near the injury then you have done his work for him... he doesn't even need to bother getting to his feet.

And the attackers may not be best pleased.

Nor the spectators.

I think it is a very contextual judgement, and one would need to be there to decide wheteher there was a safety issue that required you to stop the game.

But lacking such an issue - the recovering player is onside, not sure what other problems there could be.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had something similar a few years ago in a L6 exchange to Torquay. At the time I let play continue, asked assessor after the game if I was correct and he concurred
    It was also discussed on this fine forum.
    I remember at the time my brain was screaming that I should penalise the injured player, but logic was asking upon what basis? Logic won out on the day, and will continue so to do.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with fewer - William of Occam

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree that there is nothing in the LoTG to penalise except (perhaps) ungentlemanly conduct. The attacker is studiously ignoring the injured player, treating him as out of the game. For him to come back into the game just in the nick of time - and while still injured at that - seems unsporting. But it would be a very contentious call either way - referee is in a no-win situation.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Auckland
    Grade
    C Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You could penalise the injured player on law 10.4m - A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship. If the player got up in the nick of time and continued to play in the game I probably wouldn't penalise him, but to basically get up, disrupt play and go back to being treated by the physios seems very off.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    You could penalise the injured player on law 10.4m - A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship. If the player got up in the nick of time and continued to play in the game I probably wouldn't penalise him, but to basically get up, disrupt play and go back to being treated by the physios seems very off.
    Hang on!

The prone player in onside and has not breached any LotG. Surely the onus is on the running player to realise that the prone player is still an opponent and could get up at any time. If he is sucked into thinking the prone player is out of the game, more the fool he.

IMO, this is one of those rare occasions when something looks wrong, but it isn't.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    ... The attacker is studiously ignoring the injured player, treating him as out of the game.
    Perhaps that's his first mistake - maybe he shouldn't have been ignoring him.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    You could penalise the injured player on law 10.4m.
    But I'm not clear what you would penalise him for? He's still on the field of play, he's onside and is entitled to take part in the game if he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Hang on! The prone player in onside and has not breached any LotG. Surely the onus is on the running player to realise that the prone player is still an opponent and could get up at any time. ... IMO, this is one of those rare occasions when something looks wrong, but it isn't.
    Sounds sensible to me. If the injured player was sitting on the floor and rubbing his calf without a physio, would we penalise him if he got up and carried out a textbook tackle? I wouldn't. Does the presence of the physio take him out of the game? I would say no, but I'll go with the flow.
    Last edited by Taff; 15-02-12 at 09:02.
    Link to Headcase - Recognising the signs of concussion

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    11+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Does the presence of the physio take him out of the game?
    perhaps that is actually the nub of it
    ... a player on the ground on his own clearly could get up at any moment, and is therefore part of the game (once he does)
    ... Does the presence of physio/first aid change anything?

I guess not - I mean if the player in the scenario had been on his feet with a physio strapping a finger, then no one would be the least bit surprised if he abandoned the strapping to defend his tryline.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Auckland
    Grade
    C Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You could say he had done something contrary to good sportsmanship, which he had. (and is thus against the LoTG.) I think the presence of the physio, and whether the player continues afterwards is important. If he does, fair play - he got up at the right time. If he immediately continues getting treatment from the physio afterwards, it puts the physio as a) an extra person on the field, and b) in danger of being hurt because essentially they're in play.

Thread Information