Thread: How should I have re started?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How should I have re started?

I appreciate that as I "get it" already I do have possibly a squint view of this... but what minefield is there in this regard?

there is only one question a ref (or anyone!) has to consider - who was responsible for putting the ball into in-goal last before the ball was made dead?

As for scenarios where the ball gets passed in and kicked out but charged down back in... its still a simple single question - who was responsible for putting the ball into in-goal last?"

The only minor wobble in this is when you come down to debating what constitutes "responsible" - such as a ball glancing off a defender's leg who didn't move. Which happens to infrequently as not to be worried about generally and whatever you as a ref decides in all likelihood won't be queried.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the PK failed and the defender caught the ball and touched it down I assume you would have no query.

By touching it down he made it dead.

By kicking it back over DBL he also made it dead - same effect, same result.

If time left = 22 DO
    If time up = no-side

As Didds says all that matters is who put the ball in goal.

I did once see a defending winger pass the ball back from FoP to his FB ingoal, pass was poor and did not reach FB, attacking winger nearly got to it but, off balance, his boot clipped the ball and sent it over DBL. - Crowd baying for a 22DO because attacker "kicked it dead" - Ref correctly awards 5m scrum.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Crow View Post
    The minefield of in goal, thanks fellas
    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I appreciate that as I "get it" already I do have possibly a squint view of this... but what minefield is there in this regard?
    Darrell, In-Goal is one of those sections where suddenly everything drops into place - or as Didds says, one day the penny drops and you "get it" and you wonder why you didn't "get it" before. As has been said, the main thing to remember is who put it in-goal? Attackers (22DO) or defenders (5m scrum).
    Link to Headcase - Recognising the signs of concussion

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Texas
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aggie ref View Post
    I had this happen the other week also, except the defending team attempted to catch the ball, bobbled it and it went over the dead ball line. I awarded a 22 meter drop out. Howls of protest. Another ref who happened to be playing said I should have awarded a 5-meter scrum to the attacking team. I looked it up and found it under:

22.11(a) When the ball touches the touch-in-goal line or the dead ball line, or touches anything or
    anyone beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead. If the ball was played into in-goal by theattacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was playedinto in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the attacking
    team throws in the ball.

So it is only important who brought the ball into in-goal, not how it might leave.
    Yay I got one right! And it only took 4 posts!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Darrell, In-Goal is one of those sections where suddenly everything drops into place - or as Didds says, one day the penny drops and you "get it" and you wonder why you didn't "get it" before. As has been said, the main thing to remember is who put it in-goal? Attackers (22DO) or defenders (5m scrum).
    Unless it is held up!! I made that mistake once in a game of sevens! oops

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

... in which case it wasn't made dead... :-)

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Back before we had the ELRA and we had paper exams instead, an old exam question used to be:

"Red v Blue. In open play, the blue winger kicks ahead into red's in-goal. The red full back, under pressure from the advancing blue winger picks up the ball and attempts to run out into the field of play. He realises he will be tackled and, before crossing the goal line, passes the ball back to the red centre, who is now in-goal.

The red centre attempts a clearance kick but the ball hits the goal cross bar and bounces back beyond the DBL without touching down in-goal. The ball lands beyond the DBL.

What should the restart be?"

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

22DO

Ball only went into in-goal once, and then stayed there until went over DBL.

Blue attacker put it in-goal

Red Defenders get 22DO

Red FB gets rocket for messin' abart rather than simply take the 22DO on offer in the first place. Red Centre gets rocket for messin' abart, rather than simply take the 22DO on offer and clear from 22 metres further upfield.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Notts Lincs Derby
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again guys, how ever complicated the scenarios are, the basic rule applies throughout.Thanks

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Crow View Post
    Thanks again guys, how ever complicated the scenarios are, the basic rule applies throughout.Thanks
    Exactly. That's your basic principle - there are 2 simple exceptions though eg:
    1. if the attackers kick through in-goal the defenders get a scrum back option as well and
    2. with a kick off or restart if it's kicked into in-goal and made dead "immediately" the non-kicking side get a "kick again or scrum" option.

As long as you remember the general rule and a couple of exceptions, the jobs a carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDG View Post
    Back before we had the ELRA and we had paper exams instead, an old exam question used to be: "Red v Blue. In open play, the blue winger kicks ahead into red's in-goal. The red full back, under pressure from the advancing blue winger picks up the ball and attempts to run out into the field of play. He realises he will be tackled and, before crossing the goal line, passes the ball back to the red centre, who is now in-goal. The red centre attempts a clearance kick but the ball hits the goal cross bar and bounces back beyond the DBL without touching down in-goal. The ball lands beyond the DBL. What should the restart be?"
    22m DO. Blue kicked it into in-goal ... and the ball went dead. All the other stuff is just there to complicate matters.
    Last edited by Taff; 28-02-12 at 19:02.
    Link to Headcase - Recognising the signs of concussion

Thread Information