Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Default Re: Weird In-Goal Play Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    If you are the OP, don't read this.

However, if you are an experienced ref, you will know that if Team A kicks the ball in-goal and a Team B player picks up the moving ball in-goal while having a foot in touch, then there is an option of a 22DO or a scrum where the ball was kicked. Equally, if the ball itself went THROUGH in-goal to go beyond either the Touch-in-Goal or Dead Ball lines, then the same option applies. Others that may apply but not (as Ian makes clcear) in this scenario of a grubber: If a kick-off, restart or 22DO is kicked into in-goal without touching another player and is then immediately made dead by Team B, the options are kick again or a scrum at the place of the kick. Also, if the kicker from Team B failed to kick the ball out of in-goal, and it was collected by a team-mate closer to the goal line and then grounded, that team-mate is offside and a PK is awarded on the 5m line. Equally, if the Blue player caught the ball on the full in in-goal and shouted MARK, the mark is awarded as a FK on the 5m line. There may be others.
    Got a laugh out of this.
    Ian, did you think Dixie was telling the OP not to read your post #6?
    I took Dixie's post as continuing on from your post #6 but advised the OP not to read Dixie's examples for fear of confusing him at such an early stage.
    Dixie, have I interpreted that correctly?
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Or "fetcher", "gate", "clean-out", "ankle-tap", "forward pass", "truck and trailer", "feed", "blindside", "openside", "gain line", "breakdown", "grubber kick", "wipers kick", "offload" and "turnover".

NONE of these commonly used rugby terms are listed or defined in the Laws of the Game, but it doesn't stop any of us from knowing what they mean and using them when we watch, play or referee the game.
    Guess I am now out of touch!! "Fetcher" and "wipers kick" (should there be an apostrophe there?) are new to me. As for "Jackler" mentioned earlier, the only reference in Google is back to this board. Perhaps just as well I no longer referee

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

The Wipers kick was a term mainly used in the SH in the 1970's and early '80's, indicating a low, scudding crossfield kick from 1st 5/8 to a point well behind the openside defensive winger.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

The Wipers kick was a term mainly used in the SH in the 1970's and early '80's, indicating a low, scudding crossfield kick from 1st 5/8 to a point well behind the openside defensive winger.
    Well of course in NH the ball would have stuck in the mud long before it got across the pitch, hence not a popular tactic...
    (I played social rugby at FH in those days and speak from experience of many such miss kicks...)

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Not quite. It was used well into the 90's.

A well executed wipers kick takes a low trajectory, just over the opposing back-line but often in front of the last defender. It pitches a couple of metres inside the field of play and skids out. The idea is that being low and fast it is difficult to field the ball cleanly so it could draw a knock-forward.

Aaron Mauger was a great exponent of the wipers when he played 1st or 2nd 5/8 for Canterbury, the Crusaders and the All Blacks.

You don't see the wipers very much these days, possibly being killed off by the QTI

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    Guess I am now out of touch!! "Fetcher" and "wipers kick" (should there be an apostrophe there?) are new to me. As for "Jackler" mentioned earlier, the only reference in Google is back to this board. Perhaps just as well I no longer referee
    I'm surprised that "jackler" only comes back to this board for you with a Google search. I get

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/blog...upreme_jackler

http://rugby-coaching-blog.com/2010/...ck-laws-drill/

http://www.rugbycoachingclub.co.uk/r...es/end-jackler

et al
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

"wiper" is a familiar call to me thorughout 70s, 80s and 90s.

When I switched to #10 on coming out of retirement to play for Alton, this was a set move, especially in our own half. We had two experienced centres who could kick (Jenko - Taff Evans-Neath, Aly Sly-London Scottish) and they were repectively left and right footed.
    Coach Alistair McHarg had us use the wiper a lot with me making a postman long pass (as an ex scrummie) to the centre who would put in a long diagonal kick through to touch between half way and oppo 22m line. Also we had two good kicking scrum halves for boxes, and with me at fly half with long raking kicks too, we would constantly put the opp back into their own half. That was the L7 to L6 promotion season.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post

Coach Alistair McHarg had us use the wiper a lot with me making a postman long pass (as an ex scrummie) to the centre who would put in a long diagonal kick through to touch between half way and oppo 22m line. Also we had two good kicking scrum halves for boxes, and with me at fly half with long raking kicks too, we would constantly put the opp back into their own half. That was the L7 to L6 promotion season.
    That sounds exciting!
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Having refereed Alton on a number of occasions during the 80's and 90's, Simon, I must confess the subtlety of that ploy was lost on me!! But then when you are chasing up and down a hill as steep as that one it is lung capacity that becomes more relevant.

PS Did you do it up the hill as well as down into the muddy bottom left corner?

Soc/Assoc
    Leinster Branch
    Grade
    Trial Member

Hi,

I have another 'weird in-goal' law question. This didn't actually happen, it was a scenario that formed in my own head while reading the law book last night. It states in the laws that a ruck, maul or scrum cannot form inside the in-goal area. That's fine, I can see how a ruck and scrum cannot form in in-goal, but what if the following scenario occurs. Gold are attacking, Blue are defending. Blue defender carries the ball into his own in-goal area where a Gold attacker tackles him, Blue player stays on his feet long enough for his team mates to arrive, meanwhile Gold's teammates also arrive. The ball is in Blue's possession but Gold have the ball and player wrapped up in the tackle. What has formed resembles a maul, but it has formed in-goal. Now, what happens if the maul doesn't go to ground or doesn't leave the in-goal area, it just becomes static. What is the referee's call? Secondly, if the 'maul' for want of a better term, leaves the in-goal area and re-enters the in-goal area and then goes to ground where the Blue defender is in possession, what is the call? There is probably a really simple and obvious explanation, if anyone provide it that would be interesting.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    Having refereed Alton on a number of occasions during the 80's and 90's, Simon, I must confess the subtlety of that ploy was lost on me!! But then when you are chasing up and down a hill as steep as that one it is lung capacity that becomes more relevant.

PS Did you do it up the hill as well as down into the muddy bottom left corner?
    Usually down the hill was for touch and a real 45 degree diagonal, whereas up the hill was a lower kick at a flatter angle behind the outside centre wing and 5-10m in from touch.

Thread Information