Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Dangerous Play vs Foul Play - Assistant Referee Question

Hey,

Sorry, I know this isn't the right place for this question, but it's the only place I'm currently allowed to post in.

I just became certified as a referee and I wanted to start out as an assistant referee / touch judge before diving in head first into refereeing full games. I was wondering what is the difference between dangerous plays and foul plays, and what are the most common dangerous plays. (For example, during a lineout, if a jumper pulls on his opposing jumper while in the air, is this enough to be considered dangerous play?)

The second part of my question is, do assistant referees alert the referee on both occurrences or only on dangerous plays (i.e. by holding the touch flag at a right angle to the touch line of the pitch)?

Thanks,
    -Jon DeAgro

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dangerous Play vs Foul Play - Assistant Referee Question

on the whole ARs are only ever appointed to the match by their society etc... club appointees/passing bloke handed a flag only have TJ responsibilities - basically marking touch and flagging goals.

didds

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I know. But my society is assigning ARs for all upcoming games to give us newbies experience. Hence my questions, and just to know in general as a ref. what is considered dangerous play.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdeagro View Post
    Yeah, I know. But my society is assigning ARs for all upcoming games to give us newbies experience. Hence my questions, and just to know in general as a ref. what is considered dangerous play.

As an AR, you should be briefed by your referee as to what he wants you to do.

Some ask that you signal foul play and dangerous play only. Others could ask you to call in knock-ons, forward throws as well, while others might also want you to mark the offside line at rucks and mauls, or watch the binding of props in the side opposite him.

How much the referee asks you to do will depend on your experience and level of expertise.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    As an AR, you should be briefed by your referee as to what he wants you to do.

Some ask that you signal foul play and dangerous play only. Others could ask you to call in knock-ons, forward throws as well, while others might also want you to mark the offside line at rucks and mauls, or watch the binding of props in the side opposite him.

How much the referee asks you to do will depend on your experience and level of expertise.
    True, I guess that makes sense. But I guess I'm still trying to learn what constitutes dangerous play?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Dangerous play is foul play - see Law 10.4 here

That gives the basics, but there can be a line between dangerous and OK that is quite fine, hard to define and, and moves depending on context - experience is your friend there, and you just need to watch lots of rugby at the level you will be officiating to get a feel for it. Watch every game you game you can, at that level - ignore professional rugby, they have their own protocols that are not relevant to us.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    Dangerous play is foul play - see Law 10.4 here

That gives the basics, but there can be a line between dangerous and OK that is quite fine, hard to define and, and moves depending on context - experience is your friend there, and you just need to watch lots of rugby at the level you will be officiating to get a feel for it. Watch every game you game you can, at that level - ignore professional rugby, they have their own protocols that are not relevant to us.

I would just like to clarify Davets post

Dangerous play is always Foul Play, but Foul Play is not always Dangerous Play. Obstruction, throwing the ball into touch, intentional infringing of any Laws of the Game, time wasting and repeated infringements (even if unintentional) are all Foul Play but not Dangerous Play.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    South Yorkshire
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    I would just like to clarify Davets post

Dangerous play is always Foul Play, but Foul Play is not always Dangerous Play. Obstruction, throwing the ball into touch, intentional infringing of any Laws of the Game, time wasting and repeated infringements (even if unintentional) are all Foul Play but not Dangerous Play.
    And this is where the briefing is crucial. I would expect my ARs to flag if the ball was deliberately thrown into touch, but if my AR stuck his flag in because he felt I was missing some time wasting or repeated infringements, I would find a new home for his flag. I would expect a flag for ANY dangerous play, whether I've seen it or not.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. I guess I wrapped my head around it better from all your responses. In particular, during lineouts would you consider it dangerous play if a jumper pushed/pulled/tugged down on another jumper?

Referees in Malaysia

Soc/Assoc
    Malaysian Rugby Union
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdeagro View Post
    Thanks. I guess I wrapped my head around it better from all your responses. In particular, during lineouts would you consider it dangerous play if a jumper pushed/pulled/tugged down on another jumper?
    well...for me..if a jumper pushed/pulled/tugged down on another jumper..that was a foul play and for my opinion...i will consider it as a dangerous play because if the jumper was at the highest point..and he being pulled down..so maybe it will cause an injury to him...

Law 19.10 (g) Lowering a Player. Players who support a jumping team-mate must lower that player to the ground as soon as the ball has been won by a player of either team.
    Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

as the law also said that a jumping team mate must lower the player..so if the jumping team mate just release the jumper on the air..we can give a free kick to the team rite?

so if the situation is happen..i would consider it as a dangerous play..

just my opinion...Seniors please teach us..

Thread Information