Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shake up among the Elite?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

No-one will be replacing POB as iRB Referees Manager.
    Last line of the IRB release would suggest otherwise!!
    -----------------------------
    www.refblog.co.uk / www.twitter.com/refblog/ www.rugbyreferee.net
    My view on my sport.

Referees/Trains Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Warwickshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Can't believe they have kept Clancy!

Playing golf with Barnes and Pearson next month........
    Warwickshire.......the home of Rugby Football.

Follow my blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

15s to 7s a promotion - that is class one spin!

Have they been dropped from the list (or simply not appointed to the June tests?)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Group
    Grade
    Level 5
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Barnes and Pearson are down as ARs for some of the top tier games, and refereeing the tier 2 games at the Pacific Nations Cup.

http://www.irb.com/mm/Document/Train...GMATRIX-NC.pdf

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    london
    Grade
    B52
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

just not appointed for June -on the best for best principle have selected the refs they consider on top- of their form right now. Others still retain all "elite" benefits, back up, etc.. They will be appointing a new "operational" elite ref manager to do the day to day housekeeping, working for the committeee - my money is on a certain German!!! or outside chance of slander if pob is taking his job.
    De fide et officio arbiteris non recipitur quaestio.
    Nil lusoris illegitimae carborundum.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
    15s to 7s a promotion - that is class one spin!
    So, you don't think the iRB regards the inclusion of Sevens in the OLYMPIC GAMES as being all that important then? If not, then it would rather make one wonder why they spent so much time, money and effort getting it done.

IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “Paddy’s exceptional dedication and application to driving forward elite match official standards has significantly benefitted the Game over the past seven years. I am delighted that he will be channelling all his experience into preparing the best up-and-coming match officials on the HSBC Sevens World Series to ensure that the very best referees are in peak form for 2016.”

Do not underestimate the importance that Sevens has in the future of Rugby Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
    Have they been dropped from the list (or simply not appointed to the June tests?)

I would say they appear to have been dropped...

Following a thorough review of performances during the recently concluded RBS 6 Nations, the selection committee commitment to promoting consistency has been reflected in the latest selections with nine elite referees appointed to the top games in what is a busy June international window that also sees the beginning of the schedule involving tours to Tier 2 Unions.

They are: George Clancy (Ireland), Jérôme Garcès (France), Craig Joubert (South Africa), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Chris Pollock (New Zealand), Romain Poite (France), Alain Rolland (Ireland) and Steve Walsh (Australia).

Tier 1 matches (i.e. the plum appointments

George Clancy (Ireland) x 2
    Jérôme Garcès (France) x 2
    Craig Joubert (South Africa) x 2
    Nigel Owens (Wales) x 2
    Jaco Peyper (South Africa) x 2
    Chris Pollock (New Zealand) x 2
    Romain Poite (France) x 1
    Alain Rolland (Ireland) x 2
    Steve Walsh (Australia) x 2

and

Wayne Barnes (England) - nil
    Dave Pearson (England) - nil
    Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand) - nil

WB's only referee appointments are in the iRB Pacific Nations Cup, along with other refereeing luminaries such as John Lacey (who?), Pascal Gauzere (who?) and Keith Brown. DP gets a coule of Canada games, and Bryce Lawrence has no appointments of any kind... Referee, AR or TMO.

This tells me those three have been dropped from the elite panel!!
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 24-03-12 at 13:03.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

7s in the Olympics is great news. But to claim it's as big as the 15s game is simply not the case. I can see it happening but it's a long way off.

I think that the world cup 15s (and 6 nations in the North) is a bigger deal than the 7s part of the Olympics.

(Clearly Olympics is bigger as a whole than the w/c and 6 nations etc).

In the UK I would also suggest that footy world cup is as big as the Olympics

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

There has been no panel announcement, and until such happens they are still on the panel, and anything else is just speculation.

It could be form, it could be something else.

Once a Panel list is produced, if they are off it, then they have been officially dropped.

I agree that having Garces & Clancy ahead of Barnes is a little strange, but maybe they are just doing something right with their assessments.

Reading into it the way some of you have could mean that they believe Gacres is a better ref than Poite as he has 2 games to Poite's one, I believe it's just development, Poite remains one of my favourite referees having great command over the scrum and general play. I don't think I have ever seen a game refereed better than last years HC Final.. He was truly outstanding!
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

7's will be a more popular game after the Olympics, no doubt about it, possibly it may even be played in more countries than the 15's game.

In turn this also benefits the 15's game, but with the ease of set up I don't think it's quite a demotion, I think Paddy has a chance to really enrich the world with this brand of Rugby, and I wish him all the best.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    So, you don't think the iRB regards the inclusion of Sevens in the OLYMPIC GAMES as being all that important then? If not, then it would rather make one wonder why they spent so much time, money and effort getting it done.
    On the basis that they were NEVER going to get 15s in, then on a "2nd best is better than nought" basis 7s it had to be.

It's a political game anyway. Olympic status opens up govt money in many countries - including the UK AIUI. So the effort etc put into making 7s an olympic sport was done as much as anything because 15s was very very unlikely to get accepted, so its rugby lite to get it under the wire and open up the coffers. In this regard there are global benefits for those countries whose govts distribute cash in this manner. Whether ultimately this will equate to as much cash as the IRB have presumably spent schmoozing the IOC ... sorry I mean putting their case, will remain to be seen - lets hope so eh?

If it wasn't for govt cash, its a waste of that time, money and effort IMO. Sevens already HAS a global tournament circuit. How many people OUTSIDE of direct rugby involvement know it exists? How many people INSIDE direct rugby involvement know what is happening easily and readily? If the IRB wanted to prote rugby sevens (or if you prefer, rugby union through the forum of sevens) then that time, money and effort would have better spent promoting what it ALREADY HAS globally. Simply giving away the TV rights to every and any broadcaster would be a better move to spread the gospel and stand more chance of it becoming a globally recognised sport with global interest. As it is, how many broadcasters in non traditional rugby playing nations are going to be giving it coverage during the olympics anyway?

And quite what does PoB's demotion to this role no matter how much spin its given do to change any of this? &s olympic inclusion I doubt was made with the proviso that PoB was in charge of the refs. If its to make the 7s a better spectacle by better reffing, then not only does his history show that potentially it won;t make a jot of difference to what the coaches and players want, it also won;t alter the fact that if the IRB wants to sell the game globally thru 7s it is still better off promoting it through its existing infrastructure.

didds

Thread Information