Hampshire
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shake up among the Elite?

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    So far the elite list has not been published

A certain amount of speculation can be interesting, but let's not take it too seriously.

I'll wait and see.
    Well, apart from here: http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazo...on+restructure
    -----------------------------
    www.refblog.co.uk / www.twitter.com/refblog/ www.rugbyreferee.net
    My view on my sport.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KML1 View Post

What some are suggesting (and I don't agree) is that this list is just the referees who have been selected and its not the official panel.

This is spite of the fact that as far back as I can go there has never been a published list of appointments for either the June Internationals or the Autumn Internationals that did not include at least one appointment for each member of the panel at that time.

Always a first time I guess.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KML1 View Post
    "the latest selection of nine elite referees" - is that what you are referring to? Does that necessarily imply there are no others, or do they represent a selection from the current group of elite referees? In the past the IRB has published lists. Much clearer.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"the latest selection of nine elite referees" - is that what you are referring to? Does that necessarily imply there are no others, or do they represent a selection from the current group of elite referees? In the past the IRB has published lists. Much clearer.

Click on the link and download the PDF

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    What some are suggesting (and I don't agree) is that this list is just the referees who have been selected and its not the official panel.
    I am saying I don't know, so I am waiting for the usual definitive list.

This is spite of the fact that as far back as I can go there has never been a published list of appointments for either the June Internationals or the Autumn Internationals that did not include at least one appointment for each member of the panel at that time.

Always a first time I guess.
    I don't know, and I can't be bothered to try and check. You may well be right.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know, and I can't be bothered to try and check. You may well be right.
    I recall only one occasion in the last few years when a referee was on the Panel and not appointed to any matches in any capacity. It was Wayne Barnes and AIUI, he was not appointed at his own request because he was involved in examinations (for the Bar?). IIRC that was in 2009.

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I believe Argentina only became T1 when they came 3rd in the 2007 RWC, hard really to ignore them then.

I believe Italy only became T1 when they joined the 6N. So were allowed into 'the club'.

This tier thing should be changed to pools, or similar.

Elite Pool of referees to referee the teams in the top 15 of the world. (10 refs)

B Panel of IRB Referees to referee the teams 16-30. (The up and coming Refs & those out of form) (10 refs)

Below that FIRA and the other local appointments take over.

The fact that a team ranked 9th in the world is treated worse than a team ranked 12th is just old fasioned and stinks of inequity, for rugby to move forward more, it must change.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
    ------------------------------

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    There or there abouts
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Paddy O'Brien has effectively been "moved" from the head of refereeing role to 7s - you can flower it up all you want, but he's been kicked sideways and slightly down a bit. Trying to say it's a "promotion" is the eternal optimists' view...

That list IS the panel - the apps for the June window have been made, Barnes and Pearson have been dropped. Being English I'm naturally disappointed for them both. Pearson - let's be honest, he's not going to be at WC 2015. Is Canada his swan song?

Barnes.... out of form and dropped, bitterly disappointed from him but am sure he'll be back.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    NA
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It takes one hell of a PR spinner to spin O'Brien's "promotion" to 7's.

Reality is O'Brien should have been shown the door for the unprecedented nature of the attack on Stuart Dickinson. It's fine to do that, but to attack and apologise to his home team is something that a PR of Ian's standard could barely spin. Furthermore to not even continue the precedent showed that his position really should have been rendered untenable at the next poor refereeing performance shows that it is quite an extraordinary situation.

Speaking of Dickinson I hear he could be POB's replacement. As someone alluded to earlier in the thread, probably not a bad fit either. Dickinson has relevant experience in business, has a Masters in something or other and has worked extensively with consulting. Certainly a better resume than Paddy O'Brien. I also heard Steve Lander if that name rings a bell to anyone?

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

all very interesting and I guess it's all very natural that you can look upon the O'Brien move in a positive or negative light.

not sure myself, did he jump or was he pushed? I think having a panel select and appoint the elite panel is a good move though.

Thread Information