Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default New myth?

To me anyway...

running touch today and marking 5m back from scrums (U11s in England FYI).

At half time one of the coaches - very politely - informs me that the 5m offside isn't enforced for the attacking side. I thought about it over half time and discussed it with my other TJ and the ref and we weren't sure TBH. So as I went back for the 2nd half just said to the coach ... "OK... but of course if they get shoved off the ball then they'd have to get back OK? " He seemed a bit nonplussed as he clearly hadn't thought of this possibility.

I've checked law 20 having got home now, and I was "right" - 5M offside line DOES exist for both sides as I was marking (and continues to mark the rest of the game as it happened anyway).

So - alert out for potential new myth!!

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8 and Advisor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New myth?

Also, when a side looses the ball against the head, their backs immediately run up flat against the rearmost heel, forgetting the 5 metre law.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    Also, when a side looses the ball against the head, their backs immediately run up flat against the rearmost heel, forgetting the 5 metre law.
    The same happens at a lineout - something I have to point out rather too often at low levels.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If one AR/TJ is watching the binding on the far side of the scrum and one is watching the defenders offside and the ref is watching the bind on the near side and the put in - that leaves the third TJ to watch the attacking sides offside - ah we do not have one of those.

But generally the attacking side want space - so they are usually lined up on the diagonal and not a problem.

If they come flat they are more likely to be closed down by the defense or throw a forward pass.

Hence the myth.

Of course if the ref does not have ARs they just have to have extra eyes.

Camquin

Referees in Australia
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Western Australian
    Grade
    Established
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I never pull my AR in to watch binding, as far as I'm concerned the can watch it from 5m. I can see it from there when on the line no problem.

I also don't use my AR's as a reason for why I call things. It's my whistle and I take responsibility for everything I pull up. As they say, the buck stops here.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
    ------------------------------

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Burns View Post
    I never pull my AR in to watch binding, as far as I'm concerned the can watch it from 5m. I can see it from there when on the line no problem.

I also don't use my AR's as a reason for why I call things. It's my whistle and I take responsibility for everything I pull up. As they say, the buck stops here.
    Stop bringing logic to the discussion!

The AR being level with the tunnel is a good one from a management point of view. You make the mark and ask the AR to watch the binding on the props on that side over the comms and the props then behave.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Burns View Post

The AR being level with the tunnel is a good one from a management point of view. You make the mark and ask the AR to watch the binding on the props on that side over the comms and the props then behave.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post

That would probably work even if you turned your mic off.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Game 0

CoachA: "Sir, I notice you let the put-in side side creep up beyond the 5 quite a bit"
    Ref: "Did they, that's unusual it normally them that wnat the space, so I suppose we tend not to check on them as much as the defenders, there's a lot to look at and it had to enforce everything"

CoachA: "Hey, did you know they don't enforce the put-in side 5m offside at scrum, ref told me the other day"
    CoachB: "Hmm, I could use that, maybe..."

CoachB: "Excuse me, TJ, you do know your not supposed to enforce the 5m offside for the put-in side?"
    Didds : "Eh??!!"
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    Game 0

CoachA: "Sir, I notice you let the put-in side side creep up beyond the 5 quite a bit"
    Ref: "Did they, that's unusual it normally them that wnat the space, so I suppose we tend not to check on them as much as the defenders, there's a lot to look at and it had to enforce everything"

CoachA: "Hey, did you know they don't enforce the put-in side 5m offside at scrum, ref told me the other day"
    CoachB: "Hmm, I could use that, maybe..."

CoachB: "Excuse me, TJ, you do know your not supposed to enforce the 5m offside for the put-in side?"
    Didds : "Eh??!!"
    Looks like a case of Chinese Mythpers to me!!!

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Thread Information