Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    SWG Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Masaga's tackle on Mvovo

No PK imho, accidental clash of heads due to both players' body positions, tackler's arms were about to wrap, and play on (at this level) 9initially - I was concerned that the AR did not stop to check the players' condition.

At any community non-pro level match I would expect an immediate safety whistle to attend two players down after such a head clash.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Very unfortunate collision that. Should the AR have used the radio mike to instruct the ref to stop since it really looked like a serious head injury?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Though down on the park, at level 10 - level 6 it would probably require a ping as a dangerous tackle.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Alberta / Texas
    Grade
    D
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    Though down on the park, at level 10 - level 6 it would probably require a ping as a dangerous tackle.
    I get the impression that if this was done, this is more due to the requirement of the referee at this level needing to make a "statement", otherwise he/she will have 15 irate players on him for the rest of the game. This isnt down to being a legal tackle at the professional level and illegal play at the amateur level, but more down to the referee's lack of any ability to manage accordingly if he actually gets the right call and simply restarts with a scrum b/c 2 players arent moving and the way it's going to look to the man and his dog watching the game.

I would NOT penalize this. The collision was really awkward; the timing and the speed makes it look bad, but it's not illegal. The player made an attempt to go up and wrap with the arms, but due to the nature of the collision wasnt able to follow through and collided with his opponent. It also looks like he was going for a ball-n-all tackle due to the height of the collision; he never drops his body into the fella, so I really have no f**king clue what he was trying to do!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A Dangerous Tackle is whatever the ref deems to be dangerous, taking account of the circumstances.

A tackle like that on the local park would be dangerous because it is so far outside the normal parameters. If nothing else he would deserve penalising for total lack of technique and crap skill leading to a situation where injury was pretty much guaranteed - and indeed even at elite level injury happened.
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I get the impression that if this was done, this is more due to the requirement of the referee at this level needing to make a "statement", otherwise he/she will have 15 irate players on him for the rest of the game. This isnt down to being a legal tackle at the professional level and illegal play at the amateur level, but more down to the referee's lack of any ability to manage accordingly if he actually gets the right call and simply restarts with a scrum b/c 2 players arent moving and the way it's going to look to the man and his dog watching the game.

I would NOT penalize this. The collision was really awkward; the timing and the speed makes it look bad, but it's not illegal. The player made an attempt to go up and wrap with the arms, but due to the nature of the collision wasnt able to follow through and collided with his opponent. It also looks like he was going for a ball-n-all tackle due to the height of the collision; he never drops his body into the fella, so I really have no f**king clue what he was trying to do!
    FWIW, it looks to me as if he was trying to drop his body into the tackle - he starts to crouch in the last few yards of his run - but Mvovo, in taking the catch, also crouches so that when Masaga arrives they're at the same level.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    A Dangerous Tackle is whatever the ref deems to be dangerous, taking account of the circumstances.

A tackle like that on the local park would be dangerous because it is so far outside the normal parameters. If nothing else he would deserve penalising for total lack of technique and crap skill leading to a situation where injury was pretty much guaranteed - and indeed even at elite level injury happened.
    As one of the coaches I was talking to at the weekend said "being sh!t is not illegal".

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Gently explain to the coach that it is if it results in a dangerous situation.
    George Loveless 1834
    Thomas Paine 1776

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    As one of the coaches I was talking to at the weekend said "being sh!t is not illegal".
    exactly, that's how I managed to keep playing for 32 years :-)

Thread Information