Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wales v NZ

OK so I've had a second look. It might be red, but it certanly far from as nailed on as some are making it out.

I've seen a lot worse get nothing, or a only a PK or only yellow or not even been cited.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    North Mids
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, Ian. I am as neutral towards this match as it is possible to be and this is a red card and a very lengthy ban. This was nothing short of thuggery - how would you deal with this if it was a colts' match? Red card every time.

NM

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

well if a punch to the head from behind is not a red every single time then i see no way forward for the game.

diids

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    I've seen a lot worse get nothing, or a only a PK or only yellow or not even been cited.
    again, an interesting aside but one that you would vocally argue with if had the same logic been used to argue that a tip tackle was uncardworthy.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

OK so I've had a second look. It might be red, but it certanly far from as nailed on as some are making it out.

Good for you my friend. I think your position was starting to become untenable.

It will be interesting to see the punishment he gets. I don't see that this could be regarded as any worse than Greylings one that only got the 1 game, but then I was pretty angry about that so it shouldn't be viewed as a good precedent.

Probably the only fair thing would be to give Hore what I thought Greyling should have gotten, which is 6 weeks.

According to the guidelines for "Striking another Player with a hand, arm or fist" it is LE – 2 weeks; MR – 5 weeks; TE - 8+ weeks. Dunno where this one would rank, probably near the TE I guess (although again, if we go by the Greyling one it is LE) so I imagine after mitigation is taken out, 6 weeks will end up being the result.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    well if a punch to the head from behind is not a red every single time then i see no way forward for the game.

diids
    I 100% agree

Of course, it has to actually be a punch or a strike to the head in the first place

The only view that clearly shows both Black 2's right hand/arm and the right side of Red 4's head is from the leading sideline camera.

It shows a different story completely.

Now, if I was defending him at the judiciary hearing, I would be taking this in as part of his evidence.

I would be claiming that my client was attempting to pull the obstructing player out of his way and that he made no contact with his head, and the fact it remained square on his shoulders and was not pushed to the left (as it would have been had a swinging arm made contact with it) is clear evidence of that.

I would further claim that the opposing player's injury occurred when my client's right thigh struck his head when they both went to ground, not by any supposed contact my client's hand or arm made with his head.

Now that may not be what happened at all, and there could very well have been contact with the head, but it is far from being as conclusive as some of you are making out.

EDIT: Interestingly, the next replay (the one that is shown immediately after the one I captured the stills from) is from a sideline camera slightly further behind the two players. It definitely shows Hore's thigh striking Red 4's head as the go to ground.

I would not be surprised it he wasn't cited, but equally, I would not be surprised if he was. I would also not object to either outcome.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 25-11-12 at 11:11.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Your pictures show what is effectively a high tackle, round the neck, from behind on a player who does not have the ball, pulling the player to the ground.

And you really see that as a defence?
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    Your pictures show what is effectively a high tackle, round the neck, from behind on a player who does not have the ball, pulling the player to the ground.

And you really see that as a defence?

Yes, I see it as a defence against a striking charge!

A high-tackle would not normally get a red card whereas striking could get a red card (and therefore a suspension)

Once again, I am not saying this is what happened, I'm saying that is how I would be defending it.

(Putting it this way allows me to have an opinion without being continually misrepresented. The additional bold emphasis to assist those who habitually skim posts without reading them fully)
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 25-11-12 at 19:11.
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, I see it as a defence against a striking charge!

A high-tackle would not normally get a red card whereas striking could get a red card (and therefore a suspension)

Once again, I am not saying this is what happened, I'm saying that is how I would be defending it.

(Putting it this way allows me to have an opinion without being continually misrepresented. The additional bold emphasis to assist those who habitually skim posts without reading them fully)
    I didn't want to chime in...but as the prosecutor I would be saying the "clenched fist" in frame 2 is the first point of rebuttal against your claim that it wasn't a 'strike'. QED! The prosecution rests. Guilty as charged.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Trying to remove my nationality to get an objective pov, I have come to the following conclusions, having seen it live, in slo mo and Ian's pics.

It is a citing offence and passes the red card criteria for me, even if it started as an effort to get to the ruck and Hore was frustrated.

High tackle - yes
    Tackling player without ball - yes
    Dangerous play - yes
    Strike - yes - the fist is clenched, and no effort was made to grasp.
    There is thigh to head contact as they fall.

I see some merit with Ian's defence and suspect that will be the main line at the hearing.

Thread Information