Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default RFU Championship to lead RefCam trial

RFU Release this morning :

The RFU Championship will trial the first ever use of “RefCam” in a live rugby union broadcast when Newcastle Falcons take on London Scottish this Sunday, December 23. KO 315pm.

Continuing to bring supporters closer to the action, the RFU Championship fixture will show live footage from a camera placed on the shirt of match referee Matt Carley, including close-ups of the scrum in particular. As well as increasing the viewing experience for supporters and helping them understand the role of the referee, RefCam will crucially provide a vehicle for referees further down the leagues to gain valuable insight into professional refereeing. (ST bold and raised eyebrows)
    Commenting on the new project Head of Professional Referee Development Ed Morrison said:

“This is an exciting development and one that we’re excited to trial. Not only will it offer a new perspective for viewers but it will also provide us with an additional tool which can be utilised within the on-going development of our referees."

Gus Williamson, Executive Producer, Sky Sports Rugby Union, also commented:

“At Sky Sports we are always looking to introduce broadcast innovations that add depth to our coverage and this will certainly help viewers understand the decisions that referees make. We are excited about working with the RFU and we are confident that rugby viewers will be fascinated by this new way of watching the game.”

Newcastle Falcons vs London Scottish, Sunday December 23, KO 315pm. Live on Sky Sports 3 HD.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RFU Championship to lead RefCam trial

hmmm... surely that will produce a usable picture only if the ref is standing still - very still.

Referees in Canada
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Ontario/Toronto
    Grade
    Every Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Good stuff. Made into Article!

Hot off Press.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
    ------------------------------

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If the camera is on his shirt, you are not necessarily going to see what he is looking at.
    So while it may give the occasional good shot for Sky, I cant see it being great for training.
    How often are we looking straight ahead at where our chest is facing? Not very often IMO.
    When he leans forward will we just see the ground?

I am sure this has been tried before and it was too shaky and never looking in the right direction?
    Maybe they have improved it? Still, that is what trials are for.

Anyway I shall be watching with interest. I assume RefCam will be on the red button?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

what would be good for training would be a camera always focused on the ref, most usually in wide shot, but also some close ups when the ref is static, showing you his positioning, and what he is looking at. Linked with feed from his audio, and from ARs

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article: RFU Championship to lead RefCam trial

It wil be interesting to see how useful this is. If attached to the shirt, I imagine that there will be absolutely no usable image while the ref is running, due to the bounce and wobble. If a ref bends down to check the straight feed into the scrum tunnel, there will be an image of grass - but fortunately that will never happen! And if the ref stands square on the defensive line watching developments at the base of a "won" ruck, we'll get images of the attackers' posts and 10/12 receivers.

I imagine some work must ahve been done to get to the stage where there will be a trial, but I'd have thought a head cam closely mirroring the referee's line of sight would have been more valuable. Let's see what emerges.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I imagine some work must ahve been done to get to the stage where there will be a trial, but I'd have thought a head cam closely mirroring the referee's line of sight would have been more valuable. Let's see what emerges.
    Here is a headcam in use for a junior rugby match. For me there is far too much movement for it to be much use. A shirtcam would presumably produce less movement, but be pointing in the wrong direction far too often.

It might be useful for coaching purposes, but not helpful for the genera lpublic.

I await results.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah cus us guys in the weeds ref the same as elite guys (miked up/TMO/TO3 etc etc......) so don't agree with the coaching thing other than for .................... um elite guys!
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Here is a headcam in use for a junior rugby match. For me there is far too much movement for it to be much use. A shirtcam would presumably produce less movement, but be pointing in the wrong direction far too often.

It might be useful for coaching purposes, but not helpful for the genera lpublic.

I await results.
    Hello,
    Steadicam technology is still a little cumbersome. But it has come along way in the last 36 years, who knows in another 36 years refs may have a head mounted steadicam available. The linked rig would still be useful for somebody (other than the AR) running the touchline to follow the action.

Check out London Irish's training Head cam video. Pricey?

A scientific discovery which I find a bit worrying for any aspiring referee :

This BBC NeuroHacks article is very relevant. Since the referee will frequently shift his attention during a match :
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuro Hacks
    It doesn't have to be an eye movement that generates the stopped clock – all that appears to be important is that you shift your attention.
    So often we miss something right in front of us, simply because the image wasn't transmitted to our brain!

ps. So while the camera shows what's in front of the referee, it's not necessarily what he actually sees appearantly.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 19-12-12 at 17:12. Reason: ps
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A camera on Llyr Ap Geraint Robert's shirt is going to get a shot of a typical second row's crown jewels!
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Thread Information