Soc/Assoc
    WARURA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The art of whistling

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Ok. I've buckled. Thanks for your support, Taff, Damo and Fat. Thread started in the referee only forum.
    Menace, would you mink sending me the link as well? Thanks mate..

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The art of whistling

Due to the support of my 'academy award winning effort'...here it is for the public arena...

Ok - well I've buckled to peer pressure from another thread about how to get some tone variation in your Acme Thunder.

Here's where I got to. This is attempt 1. http://youtu.be/y9L_twNNnzg

For many reasons I want to reshoot it...but just haven't had the time.

Let me say that this is just the way I do it and I'm not advocating that it's best practice. I'm certainly not the best as there are many more referees better than me that can get a much better sound. I guess I'm just showing you how I do it...nothing more.

I found when shooting this that some of my tone was not 'naturally' what I do during a game. For instance, my FK whistle is slightly longer, and my PK has a more guteral sound at the end.

I also tend to exhale air forced out via contracting my gut and diaphragm....not just blowing from the cheeks/throat. That is I like to create a pressure blast of air and that helps me to get it loud. I hope that makes a bit of sense.

Everyone will have their own style and generate their own unique tones. When I was doing this shoot a referee mate of mine that started refereeing at the same time was riding past and although he didn't see me he knew it was me just by the distinctive sound my whistle makes.

For those new to refereeing, I hope it helps. For those old hands...enjoy the chuckle!
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information