Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 87

Thread: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

      
  1. #31

    Referees in Holland


    Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Join Date
    20 Jan 11
    Posts
    1,300
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    75

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    Quote Originally Posted by leaguerefaus View Post
    My post was directed at Rushforth whom has had the interpretation explained to him several times yet still insists that he doesn't follow it, nor believe it to be correct. I have no problem whatsoever with refs or interested observers seeking clarification, because as you said, that's essentially the purpose of this forum.

    I do have a problem with an ignoramus who blatantly refuses to follow a crucial law to the game, and attempts to belittle those whom try to explain to him where he is incorrect.
    Oh dear, what a pity, I shall have to ignore you. But first, let me belittle you a bit. Here is the relavant piece of law:

    The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not
    to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards
    his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague
    who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum
    the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward
    pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation
    to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player
    makes a high, lobbed pass.


    Verbatim, from http://rflmedia.therfl.co.uk/docs/RF...ame%202013.pdf

    Now, as you can see, the letters rfl occur three times in this link. This is what is known as an acronym. R stands for Rugby, F for Football, and L for League. You can read more about this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFL.

    If you have read the fine wikipedia article, you will note that it started with the sentence 'Not to be confused with Rugby Football Union.' You see, back in 1895, some clubs decided that they wanted to pay their players, and change some of the rules, so that the contest would be more spectacular. For the last 118 years, the sport of rugby league has thrived to become a popular game all over the world, with fairly contested scrums, not a single player passing the ball forwards deliberately.

    Despite the wild success of the League code of Rugby spreading to all corners of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and moreover of the British Empire, on which the sun never sets, a small group of amateurs rejected the innovations of League.

    However, into the Garden of Eden that is Rugby Union too came temptation similar to that experienced by Dumbledore. Money. It is rumoured that in Wales, miners were as pure of heart as they were of voice, and when they would find a 10 pound note in their boots on Saturday would bring it to church on Sunday for the alms box. It is rumoured that in the land of the long white cloud, dodo farmers had so much spare time on their hands - and so little profit from their farming endeavours - that they could devote time to rugby as if it were a full time job.

    And so it came to pass that when dodo farmers played teams full of miners, policemen, solicitors, RAF pilots and doctors, the team wearing black would win, at least more often than not. And across the Tasman sea, a plot was hatched. "Strewth mate", said Bruce, "what can be done to win the Bledisloe Cup for once?" "I've got a cunning plan," said Campo, "how about we get jobs as shark-tippers, spend all our time playing by rugby league rules, as we are better at that than they are". "You really are a dinkum cobber, mate, but there's still the referee to convince, and only the South Africans and Scottish would give us a chance". "No problem mate, my mate Uwe Boll made a video so convincing that Sheila likes it dingleberry style", said the visiting dodo farmer who had explained how to keep boot money instead of taking it to church as alms for the poor.

    And so it came to be that in 1995, Rugby Union went professional (http://www.rfu.com/abouttherfu/history.aspx), because by that point even the Welsh weren't taking the money the boot fairy had left behind to church.

    However, back to that word amateur. It comes from Latin, amo, amas, amat and all that. I am an amateur myself, a lover of the game. In fact I am a lover of games, plural. Over the last few years, I have come to appreciate both League and Sevens. Don't confuse professional payment with the sportsmanship that goes on.

    Fair contest. Does it matter - is it material - if the ball travels a foot towards the opposition dead-ball line? Not if there is no tackler anyway. Does it matter - is it material - if the ball travels five metres towards the opposition dead-ball line? Rather unfair on the defender, methinks.

    Bye bye!

  2. #32

    Referees in Wales


    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    10 Feb 04
    Posts
    4,089
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    43

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    Quote Originally Posted by Rushforth View Post
    Oh dear, what a pity, I shall have to ignore you. But first, let me belittle you a bit. Here is the relavant piece of law:

    The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not
    to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards
    his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague
    who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum
    the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward
    pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation
    to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player
    makes a high, lobbed pass.


    Verbatim, from http://rflmedia.therfl.co.uk/docs/RF...ame%202013.pdf

    Now, as you can see, the letters rfl occur three times in this link. This is what is known as an acronym. R stands for Rugby, F for Football, and L for League. You can read more about this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFL.

    If you have read the fine wikipedia article, you will note that it started with the sentence 'Not to be confused with Rugby Football Union.' You see, back in 1895, some clubs decided that they wanted to pay their players, and change some of the rules, so that the contest would be more spectacular. For the last 118 years, the sport of rugby league has thrived to become a popular game all over the world, with fairly contested scrums, not a single player passing the ball forwards deliberately.

    Despite the wild success of the League code of Rugby spreading to all corners of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and moreover of the British Empire, on which the sun never sets, a small group of amateurs rejected the innovations of League.

    However, into the Garden of Eden that is Rugby Union too came temptation similar to that experienced by Dumbledore. Money. It is rumoured that in Wales, miners were as pure of heart as they were of voice, and when they would find a 10 pound note in their boots on Saturday would bring it to church on Sunday for the alms box. It is rumoured that in the land of the long white cloud, dodo farmers had so much spare time on their hands - and so little profit from their farming endeavours - that they could devote time to rugby as if it were a full time job.

    And so it came to pass that when dodo farmers played teams full of miners, policemen, solicitors, RAF pilots and doctors, the team wearing black would win, at least more often than not. And across the Tasman sea, a plot was hatched. "Strewth mate", said Bruce, "what can be done to win the Bledisloe Cup for once?" "I've got a cunning plan," said Campo, "how about we get jobs as shark-tippers, spend all our time playing by rugby league rules, as we are better at that than they are". "You really are a dinkum cobber, mate, but there's still the referee to convince, and only the South Africans and Scottish would give us a chance". "No problem mate, my mate Uwe Boll made a video so convincing that Sheila likes it dingleberry style", said the visiting dodo farmer who had explained how to keep boot money instead of taking it to church as alms for the poor.

    And so it came to be that in 1995, Rugby Union went professional (http://www.rfu.com/abouttherfu/history.aspx), because by that point even the Welsh weren't taking the money the boot fairy had left behind to church.

    However, back to that word amateur. It comes from Latin, amo, amas, amat and all that. I am an amateur myself, a lover of the game. In fact I am a lover of games, plural. Over the last few years, I have come to appreciate both League and Sevens. Don't confuse professional payment with the sportsmanship that goes on.

    Fair contest. Does it matter - is it material - if the ball travels a foot towards the opposition dead-ball line? Not if there is no tackler anyway. Does it matter - is it material - if the ball travels five metres towards the opposition dead-ball line? Rather unfair on the defender, methinks.

    Bye bye!

    Simply unacceptable.
    The tenet that a referee is the sole arbiter of fact and law, allows me to be wrong, not stupid.

  3. #33

    Referees in England
    beckett50's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Join Date
    31 Jan 04
    Posts
    2,276
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    126

    Default

    99!!!!!!!!!'
    --------------------

    https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798


    "Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

    Vanillaisforicecream

  4. #34

    Referees in Australia


    Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    27 Jul 13
    Posts
    997
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    207

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    "Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error" (Cicero).


  5. #35

    Referees in England
    Lee Lifeson-Peart's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Join Date
    12 Mar 08
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks (Received)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    627

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    99!!!!!!!!!'
    I'd forgotten about that!
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

  6. #36

    Referees in Holland


    Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Join Date
    20 Jan 11
    Posts
    1,300
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    75

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    "I thereupon endeavored to show him that he fancied himself to be wise, but really was not. Hence I became odious, both to him and to many others who were present." - Socrates (well-known to be a moron)

  7. #37

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,093
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1390

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    Quote Originally Posted by All The Time Ref View Post
    Simply unacceptable.
    Yes, and moronic to boot.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  8. #38

    Referees in Holland


    Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Join Date
    20 Jan 11
    Posts
    1,300
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    75

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Yes, and moronic to boot.
    Ian, I enjoy debate with those who consider themselves wiser than I consider myself.

    Oddly, I do not enjoy being insulted by anybody. Which is why I ignore people who insult me. Teletubby bye-bye to you!
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 02-12-13 at 22:12. Reason: Remove insults

  9. #39

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,093
    Thanks (Received)
    99
    Likes (Received)
    1390

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    Quote Originally Posted by Rushforth View Post
    Ian, I enjoy debate with those who consider themselves wiser than I consider myself.

    Oddly, I do not enjoy being insulted by anybody. Which is why I ignore people who insult me. Teletubby bye-bye to you!
    And you don't think your last "wall of text" was insulting? You insult the Welsh, the Aussies and Kiwis, and then you go on to insult the intelligence of every other poster here. You persist in keeping to your interpretation of the forward pass Law, despite it being categorically shown that you are wrong, by the very people who are responsible for those Laws in the first place, the iRB. these are THEIR LAWS Rushforth. Do you understand what that means? It means if they say that a pass is ONLY judged by the action of the passer and NOT by the flight of the ball, then it is their call to make, not yours!!

    If you persist in taking your own line on this, then I can only conclude that you must be a troll!
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 02-12-13 at 20:12.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  10. #40
    Active Referee John3822's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    8+1
    Join Date
    02 Apr 13
    Posts
    78
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default Re: Wales v Australia: Warren Gatland says referee wrong to give try

    I haven't entered into a debate with Rushforth or anybody else for that matter, I have been content to read various posts and interject occasionally,and judging by the invective being thrown about (forward or otherwise) I'm not sure I want to. However here goes, I played 1st team rugby to level 7 until I was 47' I have now been refereeing for 6 years and have reached Level 8 ( yes work it out). In all that time no referee that I know has given a forward pass based on the position of the ball when the player catches the ball. Basic physics will tell you that 9 times out of 10 a pass behind a player moving forward will travel forward relative to the place on the ground. Nevertheless the player catching will be behind the passer. That's my two pennorth I have the shield ready

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •