Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default NRC Law Amendments.

Anyone in Australia know what the options are that have been given to the public to vote on.

http://nrc2014phase3.meltwaterrise.com/

Unfortunately it can't be seen by those outside Aus due to regional constraints.
    If you look hard enough, there'll be a penalty in there somewhere.

The greatest ruck is one that never forms, but sometimes it can't be helped. #Woshkabomy

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NRC Law Amendments.

Select from as many options below -: *
    1. Instead of 4 try bonus point, winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing 3 or more tries ahead of their opponents
    2. Reduced time limits for conversions and penalty kick attempts
    3. After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty
    4. Time limit for both teams to form a scrum
    5. No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed.
    6. Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum
    7. If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins
    8. Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack
    9. If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered
    10. A ‘mark’ can be awarded any place on the field
    11. After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout
    12. Free Kick for kick-off infringements as per Sevens

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    1. Instead of 4 try bonus point, winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing 3 or more tries ahead of their opponents
    3. After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty
    5. No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed.
    6. Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum
    7. If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins
    8. Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack
    9. If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered
    11. After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout
    I like the basic idea here, but I would have reduced the points value of a successful PK to 2 points, awarded the scrum only after a successful kick, and given the throw in to the kicking team. Reduces the impact of a PK while preventing a "cheat's charter"

Worth a try, provided that 3 above was implemented when that happens. (I suspect that this is a delayed reaction to a certain RWC match from 2011 )

100% agree with this. The scrum itself is the contest for the ball. Once it is won, why should the SH now have to contest again for his team's already won ball. However, "mid-line" would have to be clearly defined in the case of a scrum screwing. Perhaps "behind the shoulder of his team's hindmost prop" might be a better defining line.

No, I don't agree with this at all.

Agreed, provided that they do not drive out players who are not in the ruck, i.e. driving through the ruck and taking out a defender who is not in physical contact with the ruck or other players in it, should still be illegal.

Yes, 100% agree with this. Encourage teams to contest every line-out.

Disagree as this goes too far. Own half or inside own 10m line would have been sufficient.

I agree, but the team should also be allowed to kick at goal and if successful, get a scrum feed at the place of the kick. This will discourage teams from giving a way a PK when leading by a small margin.

Yes, provided a scrum option was also available, or a QTi in the case of a kick-off/restart going straight or short into touch.

The rest (1, 2 and 4), well..... Meh!
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 04-06-14 at 05:06.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I like 3, 8, 11 and 12.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I like 5, 6, 9, 10 (although own half would be better) and 11

Don't like 3, as it just encourages more shots at goal, plus a great way to waste a minute or so late in the game

A couple of these were on the list I submitted. Shame they didn't take my "ban place kicks" one

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not a fan of 1 and 2.
    3. After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty. Interesting but I'd want a try to be 6 as an added incentive for not going for goal.

4. Time limit for both teams to form a scrum. No argument here. A genuine pain in the arse that eats clock, allows posturing and gamesmanship

5. No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed. Not sure. I'd be quite happy if we just stayed strict on 'square and steady' and straight feed. If the teams don't cheat there are way less scrum peno's.

6. Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum. No thanks. Contest for possession doesn't stop just because you won the strike. Poor control from 8 and the opposition could be away under the posts. Strict application of behind the ball is fine for me.

7. If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins. I like the idea and would be great TV but it is unsporting and could be very messy.

8. Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack. No thank you.

9. If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered. Yes, yes and yes

10. A ‘mark’ can be awarded any place on the field. No. While to much kicking is disagreeable, less players in the backfield to catch the kicks means a more congested defensive line. Players need to open their eyes and play heads up.

11. After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout. No issue with this one.

12. Free Kick for kick-off infringements as per Sevens. 100%.
    If you look hard enough, there'll be a penalty in there somewhere.

The greatest ruck is one that never forms, but sometimes it can't be helped. #Woshkabomy

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Select from as many options below -: * 1. Instead of 4 try bonus point, winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing 3 or more tries ahead of their opponents
    This would be the same system as the one they use in the Top14
    Works for me. Too much time is wasted.
    Yeah, because MORE scrums is exactly what rugby needs. NO THANKS!
    Works for me.
    Works for me.
    What's the point of this law change?
    Works for me.
    It would get too messy IMO and it would make things harder to ref.
    Works for me.
    No way. This would practically eliminate box kicks.
    Soon enough we'll have infinite games
    Works for me. What I would like to see is to not allow penalties outside the 22 to be kicked for a goal.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by Drift

No bonus point for the losing side, not wrong per se but different

Fine

Not sure about this. It is very different. I would want to see this trialled.

Yes, but make sure you give the free kick to the correct side and it cannot be taken as a scrum.
    You have to allow time off for injuries.
    We already have 10.2(b) time wasting, apply it.

I.e. All scrum offences are free kicks.
    Including dangerous play - pulling down etc - and offside.
    Why should these not incur a full penalty when equivalent play at any other phase would.

The important thing is that referees must get this right. And seems to be admitting they currently don't.

This means penalising the bind on the arm not the player pulled down by their opponent. Correct binds and a straight feed tend to lead to proper scrums without penalty.

Also referees must only give penalties for offences actually in the law. No penalties for "not taking the hit" or whatever this seasons imagined offence is.

Sounds like U17 rules. Are you also going to reduce the shove to 1.5m as well?

Not sure about this. It seems to mean a player who has not offended at all could be binned which feels wrong.
    Maybe give the captain the choice from the players who have offended.

Why.
    keep everyone on their feet and on side and go from there.
    Sealing off by both sides, needs to be policed

What exactly is meant by contest?
    The non throwing side are allowed to choose how they want to defend, this takes an option away from them.
    Why?

Why?
    You have just been given the ball, do something with it.

Why?
    Time has to be up sometime.

But there will only be restarts after tries if 3 is adopted.
    So it is probably moot.

If scrums are managed correctly why not have a scrum.
    Or is this another admission elite refs cannot manage scrums?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&W
    Grade
    RFU 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1. don't care
    2. Strongly agree - provided it's enforced on TV rugby - perhaps a stadium countdown clock - with the crowd adding their voice, actually I like this one more and more
    3. Strongly disagree, if successful kick, then its a double penalty
    4. Agree, but as per 2.
    5. Agree
    6. I think that's the U-13's rule over here. Disagree.
    7. Disagree. More timewasting while they thnik about it, current sod's law is fine.
    8. Strongly disagree, where will they stop? May as well call it American football and run interference.
    9. Disagree, he'll end up throwing it straight to the scrum half.
    10. Oh good, another reason to stop play. Strongly Disagree.
    11. Disagree.
    12. Probably wouldn't mind, if I could remember the difference!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

For those interested in the law variations being trialled in Oz NRC

http://www.rugby.com.au/nrc/LawVariation.aspx

What I found the most bizarre variation to get public support was the play on for 'not straight' lineout throw when non throw team doesn't contest?
    Probably the most frequent call I hear from the sideline muppet gallery is "AAWWW NOT STRAIGHT!", even on the straightest of throws. You can bet 90% a of NRC spectators will not know about these vars and there will be howls about this!
    Last edited by menace; 13-08-14 at 05:08.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information