Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk & NE and MADREFs
    Grade
    Level 10+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pre-season Challenge

Everyone,

I did my normal mistake of eating crap and not doing anything during the exam period again. Tried to get back into the scheme of things pre my holiday but I haven't - struggled for motivation because quite frankly I've been burnt out after studying from about 9am in the morning to 8pm at night for about 6 weeks with no real break.

I appreciate there isn't any excuse - but I feel like I should post my pre-season challenge here to help with motivation and to keep myself in check.

As of yesterday:

Doing a 15 meter bleep test - I got to 5.3
    Weight - 131.1kg

My target will be by the end of September (before I move to Uni and Hopefully MADREFS society) - to be at around 10 on the bleep test and be approaching or past the 120kg marker.

Training programme will be as follows:

Sunday - Bleep Test & Weigh in
    Monday - Run
    Tuesday - Club Training
    Wednesday - Run then Weigh in
    Thursday - Club Training
    Friday - Run
    Saturday - Day off/Match

These runs will be from my house through 2 local villages and then back again - about 7 or 8 km.

I will be increasing the length of each run per week as follows:
    Week 1 - 3 minutes of running 2 minutes break
    Week 2 - 3 minutes and 2
    Week 3 - 4 and 1
    Week 4 - 5 and 2
    Week 5 - 6 and 4
    Week 7 - 7 and 3
    Week 8 - 8 and 2
    Week 9 - 9 and 1
    Week 10 - 10 and 5
    Week 11 - 11 and 4
    Week 12 - 12 and 3
    Week 13 - 13 and 2
    Week 14 - 14 and 1
    Week 15 - 15 and 5

I will be making near daily posts of my progress - and you can also view my progress here
    Last edited by WombleRef; 28-07-14 at 20:07.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk & NE and MADREFs
    Grade
    Level 10+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pre-season Challenge

Day 1:

Training - Went on a nice jog with 3 minutes of jogging and 2 minutes of recovery - did 3.9 miles in 49 minutes
    Was originally planning to do 2 minutes of exercise with 3 minutes of rest but it felt too easy so I upped it straight away. Skipping a week suits me fine!

Couldn't do the full route due to time constraints so instead did the winter training route I used to do when the River was impassable - running up towards the Shell Garage on Norwich Road, before cutting through Whitehouse estate to my old Secondary School then down Bramford Lane towards home.

Feel pretty good about it now, and it was nice to be able to stretch my legs. Tommorow I will be training with the Colts at my Rugby Club - this could be an issue. They are starting to train with the first team and have apparently got a personal trainer in. I may die to be honest....
    Last edited by WombleRef; 28-07-14 at 20:07.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk & NE and MADREFs
    Grade
    Level 10+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Day 2:
    Training with the Colts at Stowmarket RFC...
    oh dear... that was hard work. The club has got a fitness instructor in who happened to simply be in one of the younger senior players. He beasted us. Started off with a game of touch, followed by these weird shuttle runs where at the start you had to do five reps of different things, then a press up at the end of each shuttle then return to the start to do five more reps. We did 5 of these, and while I was comfortably the slowest and person who found it the hardest, I didn't give up unlike two of the U18 props who couldn't finish it. Then we did some strength work involving carrying and flipping tackle bags. Which suited me fine and I could do this easily!

Then the Colts coaches took over and made us do numerous handling drills which meant I had to work on my explosive pace and remember how to pass and catch a ball. It went alright, but my legs were giving up with me towards the end.

This then finished with a game of touch in which I thought I did alright.

The session wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Although I struggled, the key thing is I didn't give up and that is always good. I clearly have some core conditioning from somewhere as I was the fastest person with the lifting of the tackle bags and flipping them.

But I'm feeling it now, and will certainly feel it tommorow morning.

NB - I have had to change the plan again as they've decided not to do 2 sessions a week for the time being. Instead on Wednesdays I will repeat the shorter run I did on Monday, and on Thursday and Friday do the longer run through Sproughton etc, which will hopefully give me a little bit more recovery time and help heal my very achey legs.

Weigh in tommorow - this could be fun!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You provide no evidence that you are cutting back on your energy intake - food! You will only control your weight if your energy expenditure exceeds your energy intake. Your current daily energy requirement is probably 4500 kcals to keep your body functioning normally (Basal Metabolic Rate according to Schofield Equation x Physical Activity Level). It will drop as you lose weight, but increase as you exercise more. The ideal calorific deficit should be no more than 20% in order limit weight loss to fat. How much are you consuming? It should be about 3600 kcals - check food labels.

Also don't weigh yourself daily - "a watched kettle never boils"! You will only lose about 1kg of fat per week. 11kg in 8-9 weeks is a bit of an ask and you don't want to lose muscle mass or just dehydrate for long term success.

Moderate effort CV training at 55-70% of your max heart rate (I'm guessing 110 - 140 bpm) will be most effective for weight control at this stage. At a level of 5-6 on a 1-10 scale, where 1 = very, very easy and 10 = maximum chest-bursting effort.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk & NE and MADREFs
    Grade
    Level 10+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    You provide no evidence that you are cutting back on your energy intake - food! You will only control your weight if your energy expenditure exceeds your energy intake. Your current daily energy requirement is probably 4500 kcals to keep your body functioning normally (Basal Metabolic Rate according to Schofield Equation x Physical Activity Level). It will drop as you lose weight, but increase as you exercise more. The ideal calorific deficit should be no more than 20% in order limit weight loss to fat. How much are you consuming? It should be about 3600 kcals - check food labels.

Also don't weigh yourself daily - "a watched kettle never boils"! You will only lose about 1kg of fat per week. 11kg in 8-9 weeks is a bit of an ask and you don't want to lose muscle mass or just dehydrate for long term success.

Moderate effort CV training at 55-70% of your max heart rate (I'm guessing 110 - 140 bpm) will be most effective for weight control at this stage. At a level of 5-6 on a 1-10 scale, where 1 = very, very easy and 10 = maximum chest-bursting effort.
    I haven't been weighing myself daily - it's just for formating the excel spreadsheet in a way that doesn't look completely blank.

I understand the food thing and I have been cutting it down - but it is perhaps the hardest part because I simply don't control it. I have light breakfast's and lunches e.g. for the last few days - either cereal or a slice of toast for breakfast, and then some form of wrap with various salady things included (lettuce, red pepper and cucumber for example) with some chicken or salami - but the evening meal is in general prepared by my parents.

I have a food app which I use every know and then - I will start to use that again and include that in the data set from tommorow onwards
    Last edited by WombleRef; 30-07-14 at 00:07.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RFU/Yorkshire/Army/Combined Services
    Grade
    National Panel AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WombleRef View Post
    I haven't been weighing myself daily - it's just for formating the excel spreadsheet in a way that doesn't look completely blank.

I understand the food thing and I have been cutting it down - but it is perhaps the hardest part because I simply don't control it. I have light breakfast's and lunches e.g. for the last few days - either cereal or a slice of toast for breakfast, and then some form of wrap with various salady things included (lettuce, red pepper and cucumber for example) with some chicken or salami - but the evening meal is in general prepared by my parents.

I have a food app which I use every know and then - I will start to use that again and include that in the data set from tommorow onwards
    Send me your email address and I will email you a diet and a training plan for some body weight circuits. Starts with 2 weeks hard clean food, but then eases off.
    Eat clean, put some lean muscle on, burn calories.
    Get married again??? No I am going to miss out the middle bit, Just find somebody I hate and buy them a house

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    South Yorkshire
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I understand the food thing and I have been cutting it down - but it is perhaps the hardest part because I simply don't control it....the evening meal is in general prepared by my parents.

Mum - I'm trying to lose a bit of weight ready for the rugby season. Any chance you can cut my portion size back a bit / not cook me any potatoes with this meal / let me do the cooking today - no one minds a salad do they??

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Wombleref well done for taking control - I'm not an expert other than move more eat less seems to work!

I wish will you well

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WombleRef View Post
    I understand the food thing and I have been cutting it down - but it is perhaps the hardest part because I simply don't control it. ... the evening meal is in general prepared by my parents.
    Celebrity hypnotherapist Paul McKenna markets a book entitled I Can make You Thin. He takes as his central premise the point that normal diets are as much the problem as overweightedness itself. The only way to manage your food intake is to take in less - the question of what you take in is really secondary to the amount you take in, and the frequency you do it, so under his system you can eat what you like - just less often and in smaller sizes. Those primary elements tend to be governed by psychological triggers that can be managed. Just as a smoker will crave a cigarette with a coffee or an alcoholic beverage, so an over-eater can learn to recognise the prompts that make him/her put food in their mouth when not really hungry.

Tell your Mum that while you love her food, the amount she puts on your plate is 30% more than you need so you'll be leaving a third of it on your plate every meal - and you still love her. Get into that habit, and as long as you don't scoff it as a midnight feast you'll achieve your goal.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Tell your Mum that while you love her food, the amount she puts on your plate is 30% more than you need so you'll be leaving a third of it on your plate every meal - and you still love her. Get into that habit, and as long as you don't scoff it as a midnight feast you'll achieve your goal.
    Or just use a smaller plate?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information