Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting more people into become referees

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    As for "England's premier rugby team" u moved to landun ? :-)
    FACT.

The best-supported and most successful club in English rugby, Leicester Tigers occupy an enviable position in the game both at home and abroad.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Closest is 1 hour, assuming I95 cooperates (rare).

Furthest is about 4 hours. Average is about 2 - 3. Which for a 10AM kick off means either a very understanding girlfriend, or spending Friday evening by myself.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I may be wrong as I did it a long time ago but don't you have to pay to do the ELRA course? Another thing to put refs off.
    Travelling in my rural county of Cumbria many of my games are 100 mile round trip on crap roads or trains. My society meeting is 140 mile round trip which is why I don't attend many
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We have stacks and stacks of young referees (and of 40 year + guys). We actually have the problem of too many referees and not enough "good" games. The trick of course is to keep them going into their 20's. As has been mentioned guys that age are still playing and/or hitting the distractions of work/girls/family.

We do have the advantage of juniors and seniors playing different days so a guy can play seniors and still ref juniors. Also, due to the way we schedule our matches as "clubs" rather than teams, it is possible (though rare) for someone to referee the 10am 4th grade game, and play in the 1.30pm 2nd grade game

We don't get a huge amount of $$ compared to other sports - $25 per game (14 years ago I was getting over $100 a game refereeing the sport of the devil), but its not bad pocket money for the kids. Throw in the gear and all you can eat pizza at the monthly meetings and they could do a lot worse. We also now have enough coaches that most refs will get coached at least twice, usually more, a season which helps in retaining the young ones. My 15 old was very chuffed at being coached by a first grade Premier referee who has run touch in Super Rugby this season.

As mentioned above, in Australia money earned from "hobbies" isn't taxable. We get paid straight from our society (who levy the controlling body $30 per game - keeping $5 to cover gear/food & drinks at meetings etc).

Thread Information