Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

      
  1. #1
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Central
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Join Date
    07 Feb 12
    Posts
    52
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    Standard of officiating has been excellent but a couple of situations has got me checking my law book with out success.
    1. A Wales player sees the ball bounce off another Welsh player towards touch. To stop it going into touch, she dives on the ground, places her hand on the ball 1 metre from the touchline. Before she releases the ball, her feet touch the ground beyond the touchline. AR flagged for touch but poses the question as she was not carrying the ball could it be play on ?
    2. A Wales player clears from outside 22m and ball caught in wind. Aussie girl standing in touch tries to catch the ball but knocks on. Referee gave a scrum with no argument. If it is a scrum is it 5 or 15 metres from the touchline ? Or is the ball direct into touch and line out back ?

  2. #2

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,705
    Thanks (Received)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    933

    Default Re: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    1) seems fair enough to be in touch to me (happy to be wrong!)

    2) had the ball crossed the plane of touch when she knocked on?

    didds

  3. #3
    Banned

    Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Join Date
    20 Jan 12
    Posts
    6,000
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    251

    Default Re: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Standard of officiating has been excellent but a couple of situations has got me checking my law book with out success.

    1. A Wales player sees the ball bounce off another Welsh player towards touch. To stop it going into touch, she dives on the ground, places her hand on the ball 1 metre from the touchline. Before she releases the ball, her feet touch the ground beyond the touchline. AR flagged for touch but poses the question as she was not carrying the ball could it be play on ?

    2. A Wales player clears from outside 22m and ball caught in wind. Aussie girl standing in touch tries to catch the ball but knocks on. Referee gave a scrum with no argument. If it is a scrum is it 5 or 15 metres from the touchline ? Or is the ball direct into touch and line out back ?
    I'll have stab ....

    1 if the player is in control/holding the ball then its in touch.

    2. If the catcher and ball is way over the touch then line out back, if the ball doesnt cross the TL then the ball isnt out, nor caught, so I'd give a Scrum at position of knock-on, infield to the 5m.

    But I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain, but that's what I'd give if happened in a match I had.

  4. #4

    Referees in Australia
    The Fat's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Join Date
    15 Jul 10
    Posts
    4,204
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    444

    Default Re: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    I'll have stab ....

    1 if the player is in control/holding the ball then its in touch.

    2. If the catcher and ball is way over the touch then line out back, if the ball doesnt cross the TL then the ball isnt out, nor caught, so I'd give a Scrum at position of knock-on, infield to the 5m.

    But I wouldn't say I'm 100% certain, but that's what I'd give if happened in a match I had.
    I would agree with ruling that way
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

  5. #5
    Player or Coach ChrisR's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    14 Jul 10
    Posts
    3,227
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    320

    Default Re: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    First question in both scenarios: Did the ball cross (touch) the plane of touch?

    Yes? Then ball in touch put there by player who touched it previous to crossing plane.

    No and ball stays in field of play? Then "Play on" in 1 and "Knock on" in 2.

    No and ball then goes into touch then "In touch off player attempting to keep ball in play" for 1 and scrum/lineout choice for 2.

    I think.

  6. #6
    Banned

    Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Join Date
    20 Jan 12
    Posts
    6,000
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    251

    Default Re: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    First question in both scenarios: Did the ball cross (touch) the plane of touch?

    Yes? Then ball in touch put there by player who touched it previous to crossing plane.

    No and ball stays in field of play? Then "Play on" in 1 and "Knock on" in 2.

    No and ball then goes into touch then "In touch off player attempting to keep ball in play" for 1 and scrum/lineout choice for 2.

    I think.
    Marauder, isn't having control/hold of the ball the same as carrying the ball, if you then go into touch?

  7. #7
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Central
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Join Date
    07 Feb 12
    Posts
    52
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Women's Rugby World Cup 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    First question in both scenarios: Did the ball cross (touch) the plane of touch?

    Yes? Then ball in touch put there by player who touched it previous to crossing plane.

    No and ball stays in field of play? Then "Play on" in 1 and "Knock on" in 2.

    No and ball then goes into touch then "In touch off player attempting to keep ball in play" for 1 and scrum/lineout choice for 2.

    I think.
    in neither case did the ball cross the line of touch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •