View Poll Results: Should ref allow play to continue?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Play recommences as soon as Blue takes the restart. Law is silent on fresh ball

10 16.95%
  • No. Bring players back as Blue has taken an unfair advantage using a new ball

49 83.05%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quick restart

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick restart

"In both cases the defending side start behind their own goal line. If they can get to halfway quickly, why can't their opponents?"

Not necessarily. On a long range PK they may have a couple deep but not all. I think damo's position has merit.

On the other hand if there is no prohibition against a quick restart and no requirement for all receivers to be behind their 10m then ..........
    Last edited by ChrisR; 17-08-14 at 15:08.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    "In both cases the defending side start at least 10m closer to their goal line than the attackers. If they can get to halfway quickly, why can't their opponents?"
    Is that better? The kicking team are still better placed to get back into position.

The basic point is that the kicking team either have the right to delay the restart or they don't. IMHO they don't. Egregious time-wasting is a different issue.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting. I'm in the "no quick restart with a different ball" camp. The inference is there in the law quoted re "gaining an advantage". What of the time wasting. Well again we have the "time wasting / delaying" laws to cover. So I'm not going to deny a side a short celebration (just because they do it is football is no reason to assume it is a bad thing) as long as they do not cause a silly delay. If I have time to do my score card get back to the middle etc then I'd expect both sides to be ready pretty soon.

Manage it. Don't make a rod for your own back.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Interesting. I'm in the "no quick restart with a different ball" camp. The inference is there in the law quoted re "gaining an advantage". What of the time wasting. Well again we have the "time wasting / delaying" laws to cover. So I'm not going to deny a side a short celebration (just because they do it is football is no reason to assume it is a bad thing) as long as they do not cause a silly delay. If I have time to do my score card get back to the middle etc then I'd expect both sides to be ready pretty soon.

Manage it. Don't make a rod for your own back.
    If a team needs to take a quick restart because time is running out, why should they wait for the referee?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    If a team needs to take a quick restart because time is running out, why should they wait for the referee?
    Presumably for the same reason that a referee will not wait for a team that doesn't want to take a quick restart because time is running out?

If the other team is time-wasting, then there are management tools to prevent that having an effect on the game. If it is not time-wasting, then the team taking the restart should not be permitted to take an unfair advantage; they should have scored earlier and more often.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

context is very important. in a professional game EVERY restart is taken with a different ball, so I don't think different ball is an issue. Normally the ball is placed at the centre even before the conversion is taken.
    Here the fresh ball is a red herring it's just a quesiotn of whether or not - or how long - a team has to wait for the oppo (and the ref) to be 'ready'

at the grassroots level a fresh ball for a restart is unheard of, and I certainly wouldn't allow a team to use a fresh ball in order to take the oppo by surprise (as per the Law).

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    If the other team is time-wasting,
    I think "time wasting" is a red herring. I am not talking about teams deliberately dawdling back, but about a team retiring fairly briskly when the opponents sprint up to the line to take the kick.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think "time wasting" is a red herring. I am not talking about teams deliberately dawdling back, but about a team retiring fairly briskly when the opponents sprint up to the line to take the kick.
    If the other team are retiring fairly briskly, I don't see why they shouldn't be given time to get back into position before the kick is taken; as I said, if the restarting team feels under time pressure, they should reflect that they should have scored earleir and more often.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

With the original ball fine not with a new one. The question is abut using a different ball and the law covers it nicely.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    If the other team are retiring fairly briskly, I don't see why they shouldn't be given time to get back into position before the kick is taken; as I said, if the restarting team feels under time pressure, they should reflect that they should have scored earleir and more often.
    I don't see that as a valid argument at all. The question is purely whether or not the team not taking the restart should be entitled to control the timing. I see no reason why they should.

Thread Information