Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Spray paint

What do people think about the sprays used in the football world cup to mark the 10m for free kicks. Would it be useful for making the scrum mark as an aide to seeing if the ball is straight or not?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Spray paint

I wondered about that.
    In rugby we make a lot of marks. I think it would be a bit fiddly to have spray paint every time.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    What do people think about the sprays used in the football world cup to mark the 10m for free kicks. Would it be useful for making the scrum mark as an aide to seeing if the ball is straight or not?
    Pansy Pink would be more interesting than white in shoccer

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I wondered about that.
    In rugby we make a lot of marks. I think it would be a bit fiddly to have spray paint every time.

Only three I'd consider. The mark for the scrum, the marks for the two lines at a line out and PK / FKs. I think the spray evaporates after about 30 seconds or so. I watched the Premiership 7s the other week and thought it would be a good idea on the artificial pitches where marks can't be made. That got me thinking it would make the scrum feed clear to all.

Certainly no to marking the 5 and 10 back for players at scrum and LO or the defensive offsides at PK / FKs

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think it could be used wherever the referee makes a mark with his foot. I am sure it would get the nod from groundsmen everywhere.

So yes, scrums, lineouts and some PK/FK.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had not thought about the poor groundsman. You have a point he may welcome the use of the spray.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For a PK -I am not sure there's any need to spray the 'mark' , and there's no time to spray the defensive 10m line.

For a scrum it would be useful to have a nice line on the pitch. but would it be slow?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We make the mark so why not a quick squirt. On 3G pitches a heel makes no mark. Time wise I can't see that it would take any longer than making the mark with out heel. At least this one can be seen.

- - - Updated - - -

For the defensive lines I totally agree.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think there is a problem in seeing pf the feed is straight. The problem is enforcing the requirement.

And no, I don't like the idea of a can of paint for real or fake grass, Soccer introduced it because the offending team always cheated up and it was needed.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Clearly there is a problem with the feed. Movement of the packs is one issue that affects judgement. Also the myriad of other things that you need to look at are "distractions" a clear reference point for a ref. Of course it may also show that a lot of calls that coaches etc moan about are not actually wrong. Perish the thought!

I do like the inference that rugby players do not cheat. Rugby players are clearly coached to cheat. Clearly, the perception is that SHs "always cheat" when it comes to scrum feeds. So The reason for football introducing it applies to scrums too.

Of course it is not a "can of paint" . It is a, very, temporary marking that is similar in effect to a heel dragged across the ground although a lot more visible.

Positives:

Clear mark for the two packs - the "mark" is "highlighted".
    Clear reference point for the referee and other "interested" parties that establishes the legitimacy or otherwise of the feed.
    Clear deterrent to the SHs.
    Massive help on 3G pitches where a traditional "heel mark" is totally impractical.

Negatives:
    Suggestion that Rugby players may be cheats. We don't do that sort of "soccer" thing.
    Ref should be able to ref it properly without the line.
    Ir slows the game down (I'm not sure it does). How long does it take to remove a small (breath freshener size) spray from your pocket bend and spray. I doubt that it would be a significant difference to the traditional method.

Looking at the above "pros and cons", on balance I like the idea. I'm not convinced that the "cons" stand up to scrutiny. I'd like refs to have the choice. On the 3G pitches I would say they should be come standard.

Thread Information