Thread: Spray paint

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Spray paint

Pegleg, I don't think it would help the feed - but would indeed be useful for lineout and scrum locations. Crossref, how long do the FR's take to organise themselves in your games? My experience was that I'd hold an arm out for about 10 seconds before the first FR hove into view. Plenty of time to spray the mark.

I think Pegleg is onto something here. I predict we'll see it at Alliance Park after the World Cup.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think it will help because it will lead to more remedial actions from refs, dumb SHs will get the message and thus we will see less crooked feeds.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I am coming round to the idea of spray for scrums.
    I think the front rwo would like it: my observation is that front rows *want* to see a clear mark (sometime if a mark I have made isn't clear, the FR will ask 'where's the mark?' and the spray would be clearer.

For the put in, it would invite a clear defintiion of what is 'straight' : I want the see the ball hit the spray...

for me the downside is perhaps having to bend down. A ref wants to be heads-up not heads-down But that's a small thing.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Good point about the heads down / heads up thing. Less of an issue for the top end of the game where ARs will cover those milliseconds but even at all levels it will be not be a lot of time. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I think it would be too time consuming. For me, soccer suffers from a large degree of petty "cheating" that is seen as part of the game. It is so clear that, before the spray, defensive walls were routinely suffling forward. The referee could easily see that happening. So why not just penalise the offending behaviour by awarding a new free kick where the wall is (and a penalty if that is inside the box) or dishing out a yellow card, rather than faff about with a spray can.

I would take a very similar line with other petty crimes in football including, but not limited to swearing, shirt pulling, diving, time wasting and stealing yards at lineouts.

Soccer has a problem in that the majority of players breaks these minor rules most of the time. Strict enforcement would end that.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And rugby does not? Just to give few examples; Feeding, Pillars, Flankers breaking early, Backs encroaching the 5 or 10 and Scrums taken down because the "hit" was lost. Before anyone says that the hit has been removed. It's still alive and ignored by many of us.

I might be a newbie on here but I already sense a real hostility to the round ball game. I think some need to take a reality check and smell the proverbial Java. Rugby is beset with "petty crime". Physicians heal thyselves!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

i think we have come to a conclusion that spray at a PK/FK is unnecessary, but spray for a scrum is quite an interesting idea.

for a lineout I don't see much value in spray. I mark the defensive line where to stand, and tell the throwers to create the gap. that seems to work just fine

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I can see benefits in it's use for scrum, line out, and PK/FK marks.

At the Elite levels I suspect it is likely to be introduced.

In the Community game too I can see it maybe being used at the higher levels, but see one major barrier at most levels covered by Societies (where the majority of matches take place) - who is going to pay for the cans (currently £GBP 9 per 105 ml can) ?

So over a season how many matches does each can cover on average ? We cover 2,500 matches per season so it could be a significant extra cost. So say a can lasts for 9 matches that means a cost of £1 per match, which we would have to add to the match fee, which clubs complain about as it is anyway and any increase we introduce to cover ref travel, training and admin costs.
    Last edited by Simon Thomas; 04-09-14 at 11:09.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

it will probably be like touch judge flags -- the referee ends up buying his own

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Pegleg, I don't think it would help the feed - but would indeed be useful for lineout and scrum locations. Crossref, how long do the FR's take to organise themselves in your games? My experience was that I'd hold an arm out for about 10 seconds before the first FR hove into view. Plenty of time to spray the mark.

I think Pegleg is onto something here. I predict we'll see it at Alliance Park after the World Cup.
    I hope he isnt, & I really hope we don't.

3g acceptance knew that a ' mark' wouldnt be a dent in the soil ....... I see no evidence of a problem existing in the matches I've seen? ..anyone?????

Over fussyness on the exact position of lines/marks is, IMO, the thin edge of another wedge,& spraying opens another can of worms (replacement can? the spray jamming? costs? ref forgets? Allergy? Eyes? Etc Etc...)

But a moveable (controlled by TMO) offside line projected down onto the pitch that has the ability to electric shock a player who is offside, now that is technology helping!!!!!

Seriously, please 'can' the can idea. Its not broke, it dont need fixing.
    Last edited by Browner; 04-09-14 at 11:09.

Thread Information