Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Rundown / Things To Look Out For?

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick Rundown / Things To Look Out For?

Disagree. If they are recidivist and ignore what I advise them, they're getuting dinged. The more times you tell them, the less in control you are.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Positioning is a poor term in a way because it implies being static. "Happy feet" is a good motto. The prime position at a linoeut is indeed at the front on the throwing side, but as important is to move once the ball is thrown.

Remember that infringements across the lineout are more iportant than "not straight" (you can judge that by the way the players jump), so start a couple of metres back from the lines so that you can in effect see through the gaps to the other team. Once the ball is thrown and the gaps close you must find the best view you can.

Going to the back occasionally is a good idea. it gives you a different view and reminds the players that you are all-seeing. However don't stand looking down the centre. Off to one side is a better general view (and move as necessary).
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again chaps!

I think when I used to ref. (which was as many games as I can count on 1 hand) I would generally stand on the attacking team's side of the lineout at the end of the lineout facing the defending team because I didn't feel as comfortable being enclosed at the start of the lineout. I'll have to work it out when I'm there as I can't envision it as good now, but if I recall I don't think I could see the whole pitch as well when I'm standing at the start of the lineout because then the lineout is blocking my view. Although in either case, how far back from the lineout itself should I be standing 3 meters?...5 meters?

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    R a R
    aaa aa aa
    a Z
    bbb bbbb
    r b b r
    Thought you had a stroke for a moment. :P
    But seriously, thanks for the advice.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    RRSNY
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Fine Chaps,

Just wanted to update you guys on how it went.
    The A-side game referee stayed around and gave me some advice throughout as well (as I helped AR his game).
    Everything went pretty swimmingly considering I haven't refereed in a while.

My biggest downfalls were fitness (definitely something I need to work on) as I started getting out of shape, my whistle tone - apparently I'm pretty monotonous when whistling for different occasions i.e. try vs PK vs minor infringement such as knock on, and too vocal (I was calling tackle at every tackle) but that was easily adjusted. But overall it was a pretty well flowing game, no major issues, and well played by both sides. I had good control of the game the whole time.

No scoring in the first half, and in the second half the score ended 24 - 7. Both teams had a lot of new players, especially the away team (majority of the players 2-3 weeks playing rugby) and throughout the game both teams had amazing scrums. Very clean, and I only had to pipe up to bring them up and have them rebind once the whole game, but no issues at the scrum whatsoever, and ball played cleanly.

The cherry on top was at the end of the game, the away team's coach, albeit losing by a somewhat significant amount was very positive and told me in his 7 years of coaching that was some of the best refereeing he's seen. Always a pleasure to have positive feedback especially from someone unbiased. The home team (my former college team) coach shot me a little jib jokingly but they were pleased with my performance as well. It has been a very enlightening experience and I look forward to getting into a little better shape and stepping back out onto the pitch in the referee's uniform.

Thanks again for your advice gentlemen!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well done!

Thread Information