Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Sale v Leicester Yellow Card?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sale v Leicester Yellow Card?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    My first sight of that was a low res copy on my phone and my gut reaction was harsh, he wasn't really competing, almost accepting that the catcher would get it and we was trying to be in the right place for the next challenge.

However, that clip, you can see he's looking direct at the catcher and he appears to slow his run down. So certainly if you subscribe to the 'nothing happens by accident' in professional sports premise, he's certainly put himself in the position to be landed on, so I can buy that outcome.

50/50 For me I think

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think this one is not going away. WORLD RUGBY needs to revisit it.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So what are the thoughts on the recently posted scenario about a stationary player waiting to catch the ball who is clattered into by a jumping player? Current interpretation would suggest the stationary player gets penalised, but the more I think about it the more I think this is wrong. How can a stationary player waiting to catch a ball be responsible if a player leaps into him? I don't but the argument he has to get out of the way, he is entitled to wait and decide not to jump.

Regardless of current guidance, what do you think the treatment should be in this scenario?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    So what are the thoughts on the recently posted scenario about a stationary player waiting to catch the ball who is clattered into by a jumping player? Current interpretation would suggest the stationary player gets penalised, but the more I think about it the more I think this is wrong. How can a stationary player waiting to catch a ball be responsible if a player leaps into him? I don't but the argument he has to get out of the way, he is entitled to wait and decide not to jump.

Regardless of current guidance, what do you think the treatment should be in this scenario?
    Perhaps we should adopt the NFL Fair Catch. A player waiting to catch the ball signals by waving his hand. He is then allowed to catch the ball, but cannot advance it. If he muffs the catch, it is "play on".

Whether a successful catch should give you a Free Kick or a scrum is up for argument.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Perhaps we should adopt the NFL Fair Catch. A player waiting to catch the ball signals by waving his hand. He is then allowed to catch the ball, but cannot advance it. If he muffs the catch, it is "play on".

Whether a successful catch should give you a Free Kick or a scrum is up for argument.
    Personally I think its potentially too "complicated" - but then again it clearly works dor the NFL so that's probably overly concerned on my behalf.

As for scrum/FK, maybe whilst the player himself cannot run or kick maybe he game for a post ctach taclklkle.ruck/maul. pass away.

good debating point OB - I am aware you have suggested this before of course.

didds

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post

It gives you a FK if it is inside the 22 )

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And another one...

Bath v Leicester

64:44 on game clock Bath 15 jumps well above head height and flys over the Leicester 14 who had worked past a standing Bath player.

Comment from:

Ben Kay "Wilson jumps over his head"

Ugo Moyne "Don't think there's much in it to be honest. It's one of those rugby incidents. Look how high Wilson has got in the air"

Barnes "We have to look after each other as wingers and full backs, you've played the man dangerously in the air"

Nothing from Barnes about the reckless attitude of Wilson

If he stays on the ground he is less likely to land on his neck or head.

Given that other far less dangerous tactics and methods have been outlawed when will this also be prohibited?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

There was no contest and he was just in the wrong place as the player came down. I thought it was more spectacular than anything else. I believe he came down heavily but I could have seen myself erring on the side of just a penalty if common sense were allowed. But as we all know.....

As for reckless jumping, the laws do not accommodate consideration of such things and we have to deal with what is in front of us.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is it really reckless jumping? In the absence of other players would he be able to land (relatively) safely? If the answer is yes then my view is it is not reckless as it is only the actions of other people that make it reckless, therefore those people making it reckless/dangerous have the responsibility to take avoiding action. If they don't they are held accountable.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Is it really reckless jumping? In the absence of other players would he be able to land (relatively) safely? If the answer is yes then my view is it is not reckless as it is only the actions of other people that make it reckless, therefore those people making it reckless/dangerous have the responsibility to take avoiding action. If they don't they are held accountable.

IMO, if you jump into a group of players then you're acting recklessly and endangering those players.

Tell me, if a ball carrier attempted to hurdle a tackler, caught his foot on the tackler's shoulder and flipped over so that he landed on his head, would you RC the tackler?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information