Soc/Assoc
    Devon
    Grade
    11 plus 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Talking myself hoarse

From today. Under 16 age group.

I had a sore throat, but kept sucking throat sweets which made a difference.

I realised after the first 40 minutes how much a ref talks to and advises the players, particularly at the breakdown.

I don't recall it always being like this in the 1970's.

When did it start to change and why?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    South Yorkshire
    Grade
    National Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Talking myself hoarse

Not sure, but at the top level it's moving back the other way. Real focus on avoiding white noise and passing responsibility for compliance back to players. It had got to the stage where players were waiting for a ref to call roll away before moving, meaning the quality of ball was compromised throughout. There was a study done a while back about how often a referee spoke during downtime and the number of breakdowns where the ball was quickly available. I forget the details of how they defined "quick" but there was a clear inverse relationship.
    I now say VERY little when the ball is live, but when I do it almost always gets an instant response as the players know I mean it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Not sure, but at the top level it's moving back the other way. Real focus on avoiding white noise and passing responsibility for compliance back to players. It had got to the stage where players were waiting for a ref to call roll away before moving, meaning the quality of ball was compromised throughout.

There was a study done a while back about how often a referee spoke during downtime and the number of breakdowns where the ball was quickly available. I forget the details of how they defined "quick" but there was a clear inverse relationship.

I now say VERY little when the ball is live, but when I do it almost always gets an instant response as the players know I mean it.
    My last assessor praised me on this very point, better players help of course, and most u16s bring a slightly different challenge as some things are still naive play requiring ref assistance.

Its interesting to observe refereeing trends changing though

Thread Information