Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glass Ceiling in Progression beyond Local Society?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester & District / RFU
    Grade
    PGMOT AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Glass Ceiling in Progression beyond Local Society?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    I have now reached my ultimate level and TBH it's higher than I thought I'd get,
    Ditto

You just have to find different challenges - for me this season it is improving my sprinting speed. There is the constant search to referee each game as perfectly as possible of course.

As an interesting aside the Saturday before last my buddy with whom I have moved up the grades and reached L6 in the same season was on the reserve list and had been allocated a game at L10 when he got a call 90 mins before KO time to get himself over to a club and referee a L5 league match (lucky so and so...) He is in his mid 50's.

It was a tight game with a close score. He said it was not so much of a stretch over a tough L6 (unsurprisingly) and that he felt all the "too old" L6 refs in the Society would have done an equally good job. He report showed a good performance I thought (we have always shared our reports to learn from and support each other) and the assessor said it was an average L5 referee performance.

What it tells me is that given the opportunity I and many others could comfortably operate at L5 if given the opportunity. It might even be easier than the current problem with is one L6 per month with mainly L7 and the odd L8 and school game because each week is L5 and you would get used to it...

The opportunity wont come unless in similar exceptional circumstances. Ah well....

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Accylad identifies the very practical problem that no matter how good you are, there are very few games at higher levels compared to the number of potentially capable referees. To demonstrate that capability we would need to be able to regularly have those higher level games; this can't happen practically, hence a selection process. Age is an obvious criterion, whether it should be or not, because it's easy to do the 'business case' to justify promoting younger referees. It would be better if it wasn't competitive, so that we could all reach the level of our individual capability, but like so many other things life's not like that.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

do people fall back down the grades later if fitness/performance starts to decline... or once you achieve a grade is it yours for life.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Your advisor provides a view, and then yes you get graded (or regraded) according to your current level, not on past glories. I know refs who will retire rather than be pushed down the grades. But if you are intent on giving something back to the game, and remain fit enough, surely you would bring your wealth of experience to lower levels - the players certainly appreciate having a more experienced ref. And the players of course go through the same process. I have no idea what I will do if (more likely when) that moment comes for me.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    do people fall back down the grades later if fitness/performance starts to decline... or once you achieve a grade is it yours for life.
    Varies by Society.

In Hampshire we do downgrade as referees slow down physically, or can't referee every week / twice a week to maintain high standards to retain their grade. I went through that process myself over the last few years. This avoids a bottleneck at higher levels, as has been pointed out the number of matches at each level reduces quite dramatically.

Appointments and reappointments team are crucial in getting the right refs on the right matches, and even though an ex L6 is now a L9 he may well get the top of the table local L9 derby needing his experienced management.

For those "experienced" mature referees yo do keep fit we offer every opportunity to get special matches as rewards and a thank you.
    As well as being a development motivation and achievement goal, the grade is there to assist in match appointments and is our benchmark "in delivering a competent, trained referee of the appropriate grade level to the fixture" - which is part of our mission statement and contract with the CB.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think that attitude, plus whatever raw skill I had, got me to where I got.

Like, exiled to the colonies?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    In my Society we have a special grading - Senior Squad. An SS6 is a referee who was Level 6 but is now refereeing at a lower level.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    In my Society we have a special grading - Senior Squad. An SS6 is a referee who was Level 6 but is now refereeing at a lower level.
    This is a good idea, its recognising ( and therefore satisfying the ego ...term used loosely!) The former operating skill level of the referee.

So what about expanding on this & having a dual ranking system as follows

Say OB is a L10+6
    Denoting he is operating at L10 now, but has been at L4 at his peak . This would still recognise the old boys who are following their fitness slope but make it obvious to all that they are likely excellent game managers befitting their experience.

For the climbers , say BFG might be a L6-1 reflecting his previous ranking was a L7. If he were L6-2 then last ranking was a L8 which would indicate more rapid progress being made.

Would that work as a uniformed recognition, to remove the perceived 'stigma' of being down graded ( if it exists) ? Any downside?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    why start now?
    Remember - I know where you're going to be this summer!
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk and North Essex/ Eastern Counties Federation
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    I think that attitude, plus whatever raw skill I had, got me to where I got.

Like, exiled to the colonies?

Thread Information