Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gloucester v Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    As long as "manage" doesn't become 'abdicate'

Ie.
    Followed by : 6 you also watch your binding in the .......
    Then ... 8 can you watch your ....
    Then .... LHP, please move your bind off the arm ......
    Oh no.... Not you now THP. Please bind correctly ......

Each with individual chats ,
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz, tick tock

I Nope not.
    Tell both captains you expect all forwards to bind legally , they all know what they are doing & why, so, just grow a pair & deal with miscreants and cut all this ' player coaching' crap out.

I don't see that all this referee perma chat at scrum time is working, ....... go on then someone, try convincing me it is .
    Spot on!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk and North Essex/ Eastern Counties Federation
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Spot on!
    This is taken from the Gospel of Rugby according to St Owens.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of NO talking to players as if they're petulant little boys. I'm surprised someone hasn't told him to feck off.

I'm sure if most of us spoke like that to players then our assessor would be marking us down on the communication/empathy quadrant!
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RFU/Yorkshire/Army/Combined Services
    Grade
    National Panel AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    I don't see that all this referee perma chat at scrum time is working, ....... go on then someone, try convincing me it is .
    Exactly just like the PMB, waste of time and energy.
    Get married again??? No I am going to miss out the middle bit, Just find somebody I hate and buy them a house

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It may well be. however, the PMB is in general either compulsory by "statute" or inference. Until that is revoked it must be done. Referees repeatedly issuing warning upon warning or "perma chat" is not. It does not work so let's stop it!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    Exactly just like the PMB, waste of time and energy.
    Don't agree it is a waste of time and energy because you are setting out what you want when the teams have a reasonable chance to ask for clarification. This they do not have (chance for clarification) once the game kicks off, and you can resonably remind them about what you told them at the PMB and it allows you to move to a warning one mess earlier if you need to.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Don't agree it is a waste of time and energy because you are setting out what you want when the teams have a reasonable chance to ask for clarification. This they do not have (chance for clarification) once the game kicks off, and you can resonably remind them about what you told them at the PMB and it allows you to move to a warning one mess earlier if you need to.
    I think Andy might be suggesting that even if you include something in the PMB, then current 'management vogue' still expects ( as daftmedic indicated) to go down a chat/warning dialogue.

IMO players ( and coaches) know this and exploit the same to have a few unpenaliseable stabs, if then repeated by a teammate the daftness might even be repeated.

For argument sake, imagine that NO's lecture had taken place at PMB .... Then what?, more chat or.. action? Pros dont need a PMB!

These Pros know the deal, and are using up their 'free unpunished' lives & wasting viewer/game time zzzzzzzz

Early immediate sanction gets my vote. Then we will see the same 'thereafter' compliance that we invariably get after their final (4th) warning etc... so we know they CAN do it. It'd just happen earlier ....win win win win me thinks.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    I must admit that I'm not a big fan of NO talking to players as if they're petulant little boys.
    On the other hand, if they're going to behave like naughty little schoolboys[*], speaking to them like that is exactly what is called for; ticks the empathy/communication box for me, he's speaking to them on their level. One can take it this isn't the first failed scrum from what is said.

*By cheating when they think teacher/the refereee isn 't looking or they think they can get away with it and dignifying it with the title "dark arts".

I'm surprised someone hasn't told him to feck off.
    YC perfectly justified for that.

I'm sure if most of us spoke like that to players then our assessor would be marking us down on the communication/empathy quadrant!
    See above.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    On the other hand, if they're going to behave like naughty little schoolboys[*], speaking to them like that is exactly what is called for; ticks the empathy/communication box for me, he's speaking to them on their level. One can take it this isn't the first failed scrum from what is said.

*By cheating when they think teacher/the refereee isn 't looking or they think they can get away with it and dignifying it with the title "dark arts".
    Not really. He is talking down to them, whereas he should be encouraging them to behave like adults.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

He's making the point in a way that works for him. I would not do so for me. Act like kids get treated like it. I have no problem with his aproach (or Walsh, Barnes etc) if it works then do it. If it does not? change it.

Thread Information