Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Preventing the QT???

we can't see if there are any french players aside from Huget there either... and the QT to oneself is ALWAYS "on"

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    we can't see if there are any french players aside from Huget there either... and the QT to oneself is ALWAYS "on"

didds
    yes, but to me preventing a QT is a PK, preventing a QT in the red zone when there is a try scoring opportunity is when I might think YC. If there was five french defenders on the 5m line, Brown wasn't going to take a QT, even to himself.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

IMO, the French 'centres' stop chasing back. so it likely that if Huget gives up the ball to Brown then there is a 2v1 infield ( so lineout can't form Quickly ) and a QTI TRY SCORING likelihood is IMO begging to be taken.

Someone with editorial skills better than me will post the 1second leading up to Hugets catch/gather, from which a judgement can be me made as to the likelihood that *******io & co will upspeed beyond their lazy turn & retreat to be in a position to deny the urgent chasing English.

So, the more I consider Hugets deliberate preventions, the more it looks like YC also.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

looking at that clip, there are 3 whites chasing into the corner and 2 blue, one of which is huget himelf. One of the whites is clearly slowing to leave the QT option on. In fairness of course the QT to himself was not going to be on... but its in effect Brown & Huget in touch and 2 v 1 approaching the LoT.

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    I see nothing really wrong with the entire incident up to the point where Brown is bending over to pick up the ball, and he is then pushed by Huget.

Up until that point Huget has taken the ball into touch, and is slowing down the retrieval by Brown, and Brown is saying let me have the ball. Huget correctly drops the ball, so he can't be PK'ed or YC'ed for that. But the push by Huget actively pushes Brown away from the ball, and prevents him picking it up, and by this point the QT is unlikely to be on. It is also a flash point.

Card - depends on if the QT was really on. And previous. And...... But highly probably not to card it. And if the players had been "good as pie" up to that point I might even just have a word.
    The first push is by the White player so hardly fair to penalise Blue for the subsequent push
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Under the right circumstances, could preventing a QT lead to a penalty try?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    The first push is by the White player so hardly fair to penalise Blue for the subsequent push
    That first push is because Huget is preventing him from getting the ball (Huget is holding it behind his back). When Brown tries to go past, Huget first sticks out a leg, and then gives Brown a substantial push.

There can be be no doubt that the sequence of illegal events was started by Huget keeping the ball from Brown.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Under the right circumstances, could preventing a QT lead to a penalty try?
    Why not.

Imagine, 7 white shirted attackers chasing a punt, lone blue defender is forced to run into touch ...won't release the ball to 15white who will 'probably' lob it to one of his teammates to score unhindered by any other blue defender close enough to prevent it.

I'd give it, 'probable try' enough for me.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    That first push is because Huget is preventing him from getting the ball (Huget is holding it behind his back). When Brown tries to go past, Huget first sticks out a leg, and then gives Brown a substantial push.

There can be be no doubt that the sequence of illegal events was started by Huget keeping the ball from Brown.
    You seemed so adamant in your view I thought I'd have another look.

I now wonder exactly what "prevents opposition player from getting the ball" means.

If I ask you for the ball and you don't give it to me, is that "prevents"?

Or do I actually need to try to grasp the ball?

If the latter (which is my view) then the Blue player had already dropped the ball by then (albeit not in the most convenient location for the White player but so what?). He didn't throw it away.

Either way, hardly C&O.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post

I think you'll find that Huget's leg going out is because Brown pushes him slightly off balance (they are both now standing on a hard surface wearing studded boots which as we all know is akin to wearing roller skates). It is a natural body reaction when someone pushes another person on the shoulder.
    As soon as Brown touches him, Huget drops the ball straight down. Are some of you arguing that he must hand the ball to Brown?
    If Brown had held Huget and forced him into touch and had a hand on the ball, Huget would have to release the ball to him immediately. That didn't happen. Huget voluntarily ran the ball into touch. When Brown got to him and made contact, the video is on 12 seconds. The video clock is still showing 13 seconds after Huget has dropped the ball straight to ground.
    Last edited by The Fat; 10-01-15 at 10:01.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information