Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Assessment yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Are you saying that what I said was wrong, or right and badly delivered?
    The OP described his error as a "bit of a dropped bollock" so is smarting anyway but had the fortitude to share it on here. A number of other posters confirmed his self-assessment so, it appeared, that lesson was learnt.

Then in come you two with both guns blazings making doubly certain that no other newbie is ever likely to offer up a confession again. Well done.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Devon
    Grade
    11 plus 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My Hat! The assessment arrived early doors today. I feel it reads better than I would have hoped. I promise it is completely unexpurgated apart from me altering the team names to colours and adding the comment about the front rows in brackets. Any thoughts? I still have LOADS to work on.........

Match Report – Saturday 17th January

Well presented both during and after the match. However, didn’t speak to front rows about engagement sequence and adopting a position of an effective forward shove. (I did chat to front rows but not specifically about the engagement sequence).

Approaches the players in a friendly manner but is firm where necessary.

Did very well to keep the game going, in muddy conditions.

He was commended by the Yellow Team Captain who said he would be happy to have Tim again.

Advantage was excellent throughout

Spoke “to” players not “at” them. Decisions were well explained. See below re: being creditable.

Generally well positioned but lets the game move away from him. Must anticipate play and move off to the next breakdown quicker. However, Tim was in position to make the critical decisions in the game.
    Displayed a very good knowledge of the game today. No mistakes as far as I could ascertain.

The challenge of the game

This match was played on a muddy pitch made worse by hail showers just before the start and during the second half. Blue Team were no match for their opposition who had a very strong threequarter line and superior fitness. There was some quick second phase ball and Yellow Team made the most of it. Blue had some experienced old heads playing as well as some players who had rarely played. Yellow were much younger.

The challenge for the referee was;

· To keep players on their feet at the tackle and get the tackler and tackled players to roll away
    · To manage the scrum to maintain a safe contest for the ball
    · To keep the game going given the poor conditions but at the same time;
    · To escalate sanctions due to persistent infringement

Feedback and action plan

Once again I must commend Tim on his application of advantage. At least 3 tries came from his allowing advantage. He refereed the line-out well, maintaining the gaps and correctly identifying not straight throws. The threequarters knew when to advance. No across the line offences were missed as far as I could ascertain. Tim kept up with play well and correctly monitored offside in open play. The move to uncontested scrums was well managed. The only “handbags” was between the two scrum halves early in the first half. This was well diffused by Tim and there was no repetition, and no foul play of any note.

Action: the following points need to be considered;

· Tim arrives at the tackle much sooner nowadays, but he still needs to work even harder to get the tackler and tackled player to roll away after a tackle has taken place. There is still a paucity of number/colour/command calls.

· He must identify when a run of offences occurs which warrants the escalation of sanctions. During the first half 5 penalties in a row were given against Blue for tackle law offences. The Captain should have been warned after the third and the miscreant put in the bin on the fourth. However, 4 ruck offences in a row by Yellow did result in a yellow card for the No 3 (team offence). This was absolutely correct.

· The engagement sequence was too quick especially the call to “set”. This was precipitated by Blue trying to engage early to disrupt the stronger Yellow scrum. In addition, on two occasions the Blue pack released their binding early which resulted in a dangerous collapse. Such lack of binding must be identified sooner to avoid the possibility of potentially serious injury. In addition, the Blue hooker also popped up a couple of times to disrupt the opposition shove. This must be penalised.

· Avoid giving a double whistle unless you are calling time off.

· Tim needs to circulate rucks and mauls more to avoid being too predictable. This is together with moving off quicker to anticipate players breaking away on the blind side. Rubber necking would also help to stop the threequarters creeping up and cut down their opposition’s space.
    · Be careful what you say to players. It is important that you are perceived to be credible e.g. when you prevented a quick line-out by saying the ball had touched the touch judge. On the second occasion the ball had not got within 1 metre of the said TJ. Also avoid comments like “Around the neck, be careful”. This is foul play and should be penalised. You also stated a Blue player was in front of the kicker at a 22 but took no action when no advantage had accrued.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    The OP described his error as a "bit of a dropped bollock" so is smarting anyway but had the fortitude to share it on here. A number of other posters confirmed his self-assessment so, it appeared, that lesson was learnt.

Then in come you two with both guns blazings making doubly certain that no other newbie is ever likely to offer up a confession again. Well done.
    A "bit of a dropped bollock" is softsoaping it. I'm sorry if it does dissuade, but I found his action to be as bad as my reaction warranted.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    A "bit of a dropped bollock" is softsoaping it. I'm sorry if it does dissuade, but I found his action to be as bad as my reaction warranted.
    Do you referee coach with that approach to refs in your society? I'm guessing you having referee recruitment and retention issues in your society. If so perhaps you might want to visit your style of delivering a message?
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Taffy is 260 posts in. He's hardly brand brand new.

My coaching record in the Society is actually pretty good, thanks for asking. Because I'm actually coaching then, as opposed to offering a purely personal opinion. And just in case you're wondering, I do Executive Coaching as part of my job.

Anyway, bailing out now because we'll clearly never align on this.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Agree. Same.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information