Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sharks vs Crusaders - 3 yellows and a red

3 yellows reduced the Crusaders to 12 men on the park, then Jean Deysel (Sharks) decided a knee to the head was a good idea.

The third yellow card (cynical play near own tryline) is causing some debate

https://youtu.be/qF4eCM79KsA

1st (no arms) at 3:48
    2nd (no arms) at 4:40
    3rd (kicking ball away) at 5:32
    RC (knee to head) at 6:40

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sharks vs Crusaders - 3 yellows and a red

It's a marginal one. Since Nadolo had the ball so far away from the mark there was never going to be a quick tap, so you could argue that the kick was immaterial. Still, if you kick the ball away like that so close to the line you are playing with fire.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

While SB spoke to all players in a professional manner I found it "grating" that he semi apologized to the offenders particularly the RC offender for taking the action he did
    I tried to download the new Band-Aid song to support the fundraising to fight Ebola but my anti-virus program wouldn't let me

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    It's a marginal one. Since Nadolo had the ball so far away from the mark there was never going to be a quick tap, so you could argue that the kick was immaterial. Still, if you kick the ball away like that so close to the line you are playing with fire.
    You see this quite often. Player gets a good break and ref brings it back. Ball kicked in frustration. YC a bit harsh.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixpat View Post
    While SB spoke to all players in a professional manner I found it "grating" that he semi apologized to the offenders particularly the RC offender for taking the action he did
    I agree. I see this happening a bit. Matt O'Brien used something like "you've taken this decision out of my hands" as he's RC'd James Horwill on Friday night. Sends an odd message.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

First two cards spot on as with the red. The Third yellow was poor for me. Pedantic reffing at its worst.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    The Third yellow was poor for me. Pedantic reffing at its worst.
    The dilemma for the ref is that he wants to penalise the action but has no other option than a card. He can't march Red 10 metres as the original penalty is already on the 5 metre line.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re : Re: Sharks vs Crusaders - 3 yellows and a red

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I agree. I see this happening a bit. Matt O'Brien used something like "you've taken this decision out of my hands" as he's RC'd James Horwill on Friday night. Sends an odd message.
    A lot of Americans like to talk in terms like "Player X has disqualified himself". The idea is that you change the emphasis away from "I am responsible for sending this player off" and onto "This player's actions mean he can't play any more and I am just confirming that", which is much less confrontational.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    The dilemma for the ref is that he wants to penalise the action but has no other option than a card. He can't march Red 10 metres as the original penalty is already on the 5 metre line.
    The other point is that he yells "angle" as R12 (who, by the way, put in a nasty high tackle to bring the white player down) gets his hands on the ball, and indicates advantage; so both sides know a white PK is coming. R12 then knocks it on 5m, scrambles to recover it, and passes it to R11 before R11 kicks the ball away. YC'ing both red players involved might be a bit much; but perhaps R12 should have got it, for determined offending (high tackle, in at the side, knock on, picking up after the knock-on, all within 5 seconds).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    The other point is that he yells "angle" as R12 (who, by the way, put in a nasty high tackle to bring the white player down) gets his hands on the ball, and indicates advantage; so both sides know a white PK is coming. R12 then knocks it on 5m, scrambles to recover it, and passes it to R11 before R11 kicks the ball away. YC'ing both red players involved might be a bit much; but perhaps R12 should have got it, for determined offending (high tackle, in at the side, knock on, picking up after the knock-on, all within 5 seconds).
    Agree that some of the actions you mention will stop the Sharks from taking the PK quickly. I will have to go back and look at the video again to see if R12 deserves a YC for dangerous or cynical infringements before R11 hoofs the ball away. However, the highlighted bit in red does not constitute an infringement in itself. There is no law that prohibits a player who has lost the ball forward, or an onside team mate, from picking it up or falling on it.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information