Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Bring back propper Rucking!"

How many time do we hear this call? What do the "experts" mean by this call? People on their feet contesting the ball, as per the law book? No they mean a return to the days when it a OK to stamp & rake any one who got themselves "on the wrong side".

I'm interested in the answers to the following questiions:

1. When did the laws of the game allow the stamping and rucking (raking) of players on the wrong side?
    2. Can someone quote a law that sanctioned these practices?
    3. Can someone say when it was outlawed?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Bring back propper Rucking!"

AFAIK it's never been "allowed" it was always just an excepted part of the game
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Its always been against the law I believe.

OB will confirm.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

16.3 Rucking

(f)
    A player rucking for the ball must not intentionally ruck players on the ground. A player rucking for the ball must try to step over players on the ground and must not intentionally step on them. A player rucking must do so near the ball.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

This is what prevents it now.

My 96-97 lawbook has a note almost similar wording in LAW 21 (then ruck)

My 94-95 lawbook does note have note

Not sure when this was placed into law written above, but in 2000 players were still asking me before the game if it was permissible to step on players on the ground below ruck

I can't even find foul play law as the lawbooks didn't even have a table of contents

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well Law 10 was Law 26 in 96, it has it as illegal to trample an opponent on the ground.

I suspect coaches and players took to rucking players similar as to rucking the ball as legal way of dealing with infractions commited by players on the ground. As it wasn't enforce by the letter, players took more liberties with their slipper and it got out of hand.

When I go surfing an injury to my ribcage surfaces from such a slipper, it is only time it bothers me. In Ohio, it ain't a big deal

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If I could just voice quietly my support for "old fashioned" rucks.

Take the perception that it was all about stamping out of the equation. What good rucking produced, waaaay back *sucks pipe, looks wistfully out of window* was really good quality go ahead ball that had the defenders retreating. It was, above all else, a dynamic phase of play, as opposed to this pileup of bodies we see now.

New Zealand, and Scotland under Jim Telfer, got to be very good at it, and just occasionally (for Scotland anyway) it payed big dividends.

I think the idea that it produced widespread rampant violence is overdone a bit and has become urban legend. Was there some strategic stamping? Yes. Enough that we would be worried about it recurring nowadays? No. Players today don't know how to ruck.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

When New Zealand first developed dynamic rucking, they scattered the odd opponents and of course the ball popped out for them. A few people got trodden on - collateral damage, they said. Once opponents learned how to defend, that stopped. It now became necessary to ruck the ball out with your feet, not caring if anybody was in the way. Some defenders reckoned that collecting some scars showed they were "doing their job".

The argument that they were trying to roll players out of the way with their feet does not wash. It would require a considerable amount of force and would be very slow. The actual aim was to hurt the players enough to deter them from doing it again. There were unofficial "rules" about not rucking the head or joints, but in the heat of the moment they got forgotten or were simply too difficult to apply.

When the law changed in 1996, some players immediately tried to use "accidental contact" as an excuse, but were strongly dissuaded. "This law means what it says."

Even if I thought it was a good idea (and I don't), I see no way we could go back to that style, so many factors have changed, such as players' skill sets, strength, and fitness.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    When New Zealand first developed dynamic rucking, they scattered the odd opponents and of course the ball popped out for them. A few people got trodden on - collateral damage, they said. Once opponents learned how to defend, that stopped. It now became necessary to ruck the ball out with your feet, not caring if anybody was in the way. Some defenders reckoned that collecting some scars showed they were "doing their job".

The argument that they were trying to roll players out of the way with their feet does not wash. It would require a considerable amount of force and would be very slow. The actual aim was to hurt the players enough to deter them from doing it again. There were unofficial "rules" about not rucking the head or joints, but in the heat of the moment they got forgotten or were simply too difficult to apply.

When the law changed in 1996, some players immediately tried to use "accidental contact" as an excuse, but were strongly dissuaded. "This law means what it says."

Even if I thought it was a good idea (and I don't), I see no way we could go back to that style, so many factors have changed, such as players' skill sets, strength, and fitness.
    And increased player weightings being delivered through a multitude of (dare i say 'popensity to injure through skin glance unsuitable' studs) non rugby stud boots !!!!!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So I'm reading that it hs never been allowed to target the player with the "rucking action". Is that right. Refs just allowed it like crooked feeds, pillars, fixers etc are allowed now.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The last quote I saw about "bring back proper rucking" was from Jonathan Davies (Jiffy - not the current model) who tends to talk a load of old bollocks in two languages about both codes. I think it was his suggestion for improving the game in a bbc website piece that I can't seem to find. It was discussed on here.
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Thread Information