Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hooper Cited Aus vs Arg

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    Hooper's, on the other hand, was a full-blooded palm-heel strike to the base of the skull. Any "momma" who delivered a "cuff" like that would be up before the beak.
    You must have access to better footage than I've seen then, as its pretty hard to claim it hits the base of the skull given what I've seen. Central back or upper shoulders, but no more than that.

By the way - I dislike Hooper so don't try to claim that this is a biased Australian thing.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Burton View Post
    You must have access to better footage than I've seen then, as its pretty hard to claim it hits the base of the skull given what I've seen. Central back or upper shoulders, but no more than that.
    Nigel Hampton QC presumably does - he found the strike was aimed at and landed on the "head and neck"; which tallies with my impression from the footage posted on this thread.

JdP's open-handed slap landed, with the wrist, on the back of Weeks's skull. He probably hurt himself more than he did Weeks.

By the way - I dislike Hooper so don't try to claim that this is a biased Australian thing.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How is a strike to the head off topic when we are talking about striking to the head - if people want to argue that Hooper deserves a ban, then defend the fact that JdP got no red (during or post match) and zero weeks suspension!

And Hooper's action is effectively the same action as JdP against Weeks.
    Hi Jarrod, wasn't aiming the off topic comment at you, I was actually aiming it my own comment ! cos we'd all recently debated penalty reversal for relation. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Anyway, the video on GAGR is much better that the tiny clip that Ian Cook keeps posting, as his skillful cutting skills ( deliberately??...hmmnnn?) Don't show the full follow through of the shove. See here
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/vid...y-of-punching/

One of the comments that followed that clip adequately sum up my viewing of the incident, which i agree with you is akin to the severity of JdD.

He said
    . I've watched this more times than I care to admit, at first I thought the initial contact looked like a punch but Hooper's body movement and the positioning of his right arm as Sanchez falls indicates it was no more than a hard shove to the back ** at the top/lower neck area.**

Plenty of people will disagree, but to me the tell-tale sign is the way Hooper's body moves as Sanchez starts to fall - there's a point where it moves forward as it would when pushing a heavy weight which suddenly gives way. A punch or strike would not have this affect (I did boxing years ago and have done martial arts for many years so I'm very familiar with the mechanics of punching and striking!).

**browner adds "
    JdP got a YC for his ( rightly imo) & Dickie has this spot on when he suggests that Hooper should have got a YC, I go further and suggest the CC should have dealt with this via a Level1 sanction. The politics that followed with appeal and counter appeal is an interesting watch from distance.

Damo, I got your smart point, we both suspect that he wasn't seriously considered for the lowly bench for the manly fixture with a bonafide intention of playing, immerely suggesting that if he does he's a perfect target for anyone who would like to see him further in bother, for a decent weighted 'brown envelope' I'm sure someone could be convinced to set out to provoke him, after all being professional isnt always about winning, its sometimes about earnings , as journeymen boxers demonstrate all the time.
    Last edited by Browner; 02-08-15 at 12:08.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really understand what SANZAR was hoping to achieve with their appeal. There was always going to be mitigation for Hooper's clean record, and since LE is two weeks, the only way they could have got a more severe ban was to argue that the entry point should have been MR. While I think it was striking* I can't see how MR could be justified.

Have a look at the animated gif I posted in post #108. I cannot understand how anyone can possibly look at that and conclude that the strike landed on Sanchez' back; had it done so, Sanchez' head would have whipped backwards, not forwards. In the circumstances of this strike, there is one, and only one way that Sanchez' head could be propelled forwards; the blow landing on the back of his head.

ETA: Its also worth also noting that the ARU's appeal, in which they were trying to argue that hitting an opponent with an open hand is not striking, was also dismissed (and rightly so).
    I think we can expect WR to close that loophole in the 2016 Laws.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 02-08-15 at 13:08.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    JdP's open-handed slap landed, with the wrist, on the back of Weeks's skull.
    But isn't striking, striking? Or are some animals more equal than others? And what if Weeks had gone down like a shower of the proverbial like the Argie rather than giving JdP a rather larger serving of what he'd just received?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Have a look at the animated gif I posted in post #108. I cannot understand how anyone can possibly look at that and conclude that the strike landed on Sanchez' back; had it done so, Sanchez' head would have whipped backwards, not forwards. In the circumstances of this strike, there is one, and only one way that Sanchez' head could be propelled forwards; the blow landing on the back of his head.
    Depending on the angle of strike, the actual contact point, momentum in the player's bodies and some other variables, a player's head may not necessarily whip backwards, especially given that Sanchez's momentum gets shifted as Hooper's body turns and drags the Argentinian's arm and body forwards. Bodies are not simple systems from an engineering point of view and the number of joints and their interaction to forces are incredibly complex. Likely that the striking made initial contact with the upper shoulder or neck, but without definitive proof (that movie is too poor a quality to really tell) I'm not willing to punish someone.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post

Anyway, the video on GAGR is much better that the tiny clip that Ian Cook keeps posting, as his skillful cutting skills ( deliberately??...hmmnnn?) Don't show the full follow through of the shove. See here
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/vid...y-of-punching/
    look, if you disagree, then do so.

please stop attacking people - well, one person's - integrity. You've been warned before.
    same goes for everyone. This does NOT devolve into jibes at the person.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Soc/Assoc
    GRRA
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Hi Galumay,
    Please send my 1$Aus to the RFU's injured amateur referees fund.
    I am tempted to run the defence that he DID get 2 weeks, then mitigated down to 1, but in the spirit of fair play I shall pay up and dontate to your nominated charity!

EDIT - couldnt find an RFU injured amateur referees fund, so I bought you a beer instead!

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by galumay View Post
    I am tempted to run the defence that he DID get 2 weeks, then mitigated down to 1, but in the spirit of fair play I shall pay up and dontate to your nominated charity!

EDIT - couldnt find an RFU injured amateur referees fund, so I bought you a beer instead!
    Great i hope it tasted nice.

It's run by the 'team' that coordinate the value the volunteer referee within the referees department at HQ.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    look, if you disagree, then do so.

please stop attacking people - well, one person's - integrity. You've been warned before.
    same goes for everyone. This does NOT devolve into jibes at the person.
    I actually admire and am jealous of some of the forensic presentation skills often displayed by the aforementioned poster, and have said so on previous occassions, however I'm perfectly within my rights on a public forum to say when I feel any poster is taking a selective approach to any subject, let's not forget this posters legendary ability to say what he likes to anyone ! So save your sycophanticism its unnecessary and unwanted.

If however you saying that the full follow through of Hoopers shovestrike was accidentally omitted when the 'cutting' was offerred as "absolute proof" then I suggest you are blindly reinforcing the adhoring support of your buddy that you've uttered at me previously. Thanks, zzzzzz

The poster self declares as an expert at such media presentation things, so i dismiss the notion that the sample 'selected' clip was accidentally foreshortened and i merely offer up the suggestion that it was so manufactured to try and promote his own view, which coincidentally is against a forthcoming NZAB opponent.

As for targeting, if you do some genuine data analysis you'll soon see both a disproportionate response rate and spikey language used aimed at this postee.

If you don't agree, or indeed can't be arsed, then sobeit and tough in equal proportion, you can own that prerogative without the lecture thank you.
    Last edited by Browner; 02-08-15 at 18:08.

Thread Information