Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clearance kick

All, thanks for that. Another look at the law book shows that No.19 covers this though you are correct passing back into the 22/ingoal does produce a lineout where it went out.

My scenario was a pass from the 22 into the ingoal area and a kick direct to touch; I now see this is a lineout for the opposition.

Rugby League was a bit different! Easier on the mind but a killer on your fitness!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aidantaylor View Post
    Rugby League was a bit different! Easier on the mind but a killer on your fitness!
    That's interesting. I've never reffed RL but was always led to believe it was physically easier than RU.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All, thanks for that. Another look at the law book shows that No.19 covers this though you are correct passing back into the 22/ingoal does produce a lineout where it went out.

My scenario was a pass from the 22 into the ingoal area and a kick direct to touch; I now see this is a lineout for the opposition.

Welcome. You have a lot of resources here to pick from. No question is too dumb, and has probably been asked before. Take a good look around some of the archives. Avoid the Leggings thread. And give back as well - your viewpoint, on either the RL or the RU threads - s as welcome and valued as anyone else's. Except PhilE; he works for Leicester and so by definition is our 'outreach' member.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I wouldn't go back through the archives much. Laws change, and what may have been good advice once, may now be duff.

The site thrives on questions - ask away.

Apart from Leggins. Never EVER ask a question about Leggins.
    Last edited by Taff; 12-08-15 at 08:08.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Apart from Leggins. Never EVER ask a question about Leggins.
    Forward pass?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All, thanks for that. Another look at the law book shows that No.19 covers this though you are correct passing back into the 22/ingoal does produce a lineout where it went out. ???????

Hi Aidan,
    This last post of yours would suggest that you haven't quite got your head around kicks to touch from inside the 22.
    Consider the following 4 scenarios. If you have any questions after thinking them through, ask away.

1. Blue 9 passes the ball back into his own 22 to his #10 who then kicks the ball directly (i.e. on the full) into touch near the half way.
    This results in a lineout to the opposition in line with where Blue #10 kicked the ball.

2. Blue 9 passes the ball back into his own 22 to his #10 who then kicks the ball which bounces inside the field of play before going into touch near the half way.
    This results in a lineout to the opposition where the ball crossed the touch line.

3. Blue 9 passes the ball back into his own 22 to his #10 who is tackled and following the ensuing ruck, blue #9 then kicks the ball directly (i.e. on the full) into touch near the half way. This results in a lineout to the opposition where the ball crossed the touch line.

4. Red carry the ball into the blue 22 and a tackle and ruck take place where blue win possession. Blue #9 passes the ball to his #15, who is standing in-goal, and #15 then kicks the ball directly into touch. The ball crosses the touch line about 30m from blue's goal line.
    The result is a lineout to red where the ball crossed the touch line.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Except PhilE; he works for Leicester and so by definition is our 'outreach' member.
    Hey!
    Never poke a sleeping Tiger

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information