Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default tackler's rights

This happened in the US v Wallabies game yesterday. It resulted in a penalty which US kicked for 3 points.

Gold tackler (I think #3) goes to ground in the tackle and ends up on wrong side of tackle. He releases ball carrier and gets to his feet. Provided a ruck has not yet formed he is entitled to pick up the ball.

However, he doesn't do that. He starts playing at the ball with his foot in a non-dangerous fashion and when the ruck forms around him (remember he is now on wrong side of the ruck) continues to do.

Is he OK to do that?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: tackler's rights

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    This happened in the US v Wallabies game yesterday. It resulted in a penalty which US kicked for 3 points.

Gold tackler (I think #3) goes to ground in the tackle and ends up on wrong side of tackle. He releases ball carrier and gets to his feet. Provided a ruck has not yet formed he is entitled to pick up the ball.

However, he doesn't do that. He starts playing at the ball with his foot in a non-dangerous fashion and when the ruck forms around him (remember he is now on wrong side of the ruck) continues to do.

Is he OK to do that?
    I would have thought so, the Law says that once he gets to his feet he can "play the ball from any direction". "Play" is defined as touched by a player, nothing to say it has to be by hand. So long as no ruck has formed, and so long as he isnt standing there obstructing arriving opponents prior to playing the ball

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    I would have thought so, the Law says that once he gets to his feet he can "play the ball from any direction". "Play" is defined as touched by a player, nothing to say it has to be by hand. So long as no ruck has formed, and so long as he isnt standing there obstructing arriving opponents prior to playing the ball
    What are his obligations once a ruck commences? Can he just stay there bound up in the mass of bodies?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Is he OK to do that?
    When the ruck "formed around him" was he bound into the ruck, that is, was someone bound to him?

If so, I see no problem with what he did

If not, if he is just standing on the opponents side, then he's offside.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    When the ruck "formed around him" was he bound into the ruck, that is, was someone bound to him?

If so, I see no problem with what he did

If not, if he is just standing on the opponents side, then he's offside.
    Hmmm, all very dynamic so worth another look. Once it pops up on youtube, I'll post it.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, all very dynamic so worth another look. Once it pops up on youtube, I'll post it.

There's a replay of the game tonight on SkySport4.

Any idea when this happened? did they kick the 3 points?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    There's a replay of the game tonight on SkySport4.

Any idea when this happened? did they kick the 3 points?
    mid way through 1st half. Yes, they kicked it. It was their first score and their only 3 pointer for the game.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

OK, so I have had a look at it, and I think you are right, Gold 1 was definitely the tackler; grasped White 10, brought him to ground, went to ground himself at the same time then got to his fleet and played the ball as he was entitled to.

The referee got it wrong. He said "1 Gold in from the side" which clearly shows that he though 1 Gold was an "other player" under Law 15.6. Even when the player questioned JP, about it, JP said "you only get those rights when you go to ground"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information