Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quickly taken lineout

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    With a scrum the ball cannot be put in until a signal from the referee. That is clearly stated in law.

A better analogy would be a tap PK or FK, not a scrum. At a FK/PK once the mark has been made (or indicated) the kick can be taken.
    no, no, not at all -- in fact that's the whole point

a QTI (Quick-Throw-In) - is like a tap FK or PK ... the ball is not dead, the oppo and referee absoutely need to be paying attention.

a Lineout is a set piece. It IS like a scrum. It may happen at varying speeds but it can't happen while the referee is busy attending to something else.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

a Lineout is a set piece. It IS like a scrum. It may happen at varying speeds but it can't happen while the referee is busy attending to something else.

And this is the crux of the whole debate. Until Law 19 gets a re-write there is no clear indicator (other than 2 & 2 at the LOT) of when the LO is formed.

I agree that there are requirements of players by position and these must be adhered to or risk sanction.

However, what you are implying is an unnecessary restriction on the throwing team to wait until all is set before starting.

If the opponents backs are encroaching, their throwing op not there or their LO players not properly positioned why should the throwing team wait for the referee to orchestrate the affair?

What would your reaction be if this happened in your game? Re-throw? FK? Warning? What specific law would you cite?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the opponents backs are encroaching, their throwing op not there or their LO players not properly positioned why should the throwing team wait for the referee to orchestrate the affair?

What would your reaction be if this happened in your game? Re-throw? FK? Warning? What specific law would you cite?
    If it's something like the video clip, throwing team pulling a fast one, I'd peep and we'd have a lineout.

If the oppo are actually creating an unreasonable delay, then I already said above what I think you should do

if the oppo are confused/hopeless (eg kids) then have same patience

if the oppo are just slow (eg exhausted) then have a word, then if they do it again FK.

if they are doing it deliberately as a tactic to slow up the lineout then it's a FK (which of course can be taken quickly)
    Law Refernce is 19.8(g), which provides exactly for this scenario.

I'd take exactly the same approach if they delay forming a scrum. Or if the thorwing team delay the lineout for that matter.

Also I'd allow for it in my timekeeping.
    Last edited by crossref; 05-10-15 at 14:10.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yet another term in common usage but not defined in law. Like "immaterial", which is how I consider your post.
    As is a QTLO
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information