Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fiji v Uruguay

Did anyone watch the game - aside from the 30,000 in the ground. Most of whom apparently came from Montevideo - even the ones dressed as Fijians.

If so what was the first yellow/penalty try for.
    In the ground in real time - and I was at that end - it looked fine, and the big screens were so poor we could not really pick up more detail from the replay.

Of course if that was not a yellow, then the later yellow would not have been upgraded to a Red.

Also it was clearly a try in the corner and I was surprised JP then went under the posts.

I thought the Fijians got away with a lot more physicality than Uruguay - but that could have been the natural support for the underdog. But given he had set a standard, I thought he did not apply it.

There was a tackle in the air that was just a penalty, diving onto a ruck without binding and going straight to ground, that was not even penalised and some handbags after Fiji got a penalty which I would have reversed the penalty for.

Fiji were obviously the better side on the day - but

I thought JP did not really control the match - which let the niggle build up.

I also thought he relied too much on the TMO. Now maybe being a top ref is knowing that you have got another pair of eyes, so you do not need to get into the perfect position for the grounding etc, so you can look elsewhere.

Camquin

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fiji v Uruguay

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/video/107461

Looks like the "tackle" was no arms etc - he just threw himsewlf at the legs. As suchy the Fijian who would otherwise have scored ("beam me up scotty" approach), abut now lands short of the line and ends up in touch.

So PT.

seems reasonable. And it was a YC as the video confirms.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

actually reviewing that again, maybe he wasn;t in touch and did score (dropped the ball?).

whatever, maybe it was a possibility of scoring in a better position ie been able to run around once inside the in-goal?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

PT was for no arm tackle, ball carrier dropped the ball. nailed on PT all day.

Then the stupid #9 got "involved" after the whistle, 1 min after the ref had issued a bollocking for "after the whistle handbags" so got a 2nd and a free upgrade to a
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    ... what was the first yellow/penalty try for.
    In the ground in real time - and I was at that end - it looked fine, and the big screens were so poor we could not really pick up more detail from the replay.

Of course if that was not a yellow, then the later yellow would not have been upgraded to a Red.

Also it was clearly a try in the corner and I was surprised JP then went under the posts.
    Pretty much the same reason as Liam Williams in Wal vs Boks in 2104, though Williams was higher and more dangerous.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone think that the Fijian prop was hard done by for the YC ? Seemed to me he was minding his own business and was pushed/thumped by the Urg 9. all he did then was grab his jersey.

Personally hate when the instigator gets the same punishment as the reactor/retaliation.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    I am a Fan
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I concur, Shelflife. That could've been a good moment to ask for the video, so everyone could get calmed also
    Sorry about my English, as it isn't my mother tonge.

Thread Information