Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When is a QTI considered as "marked"

I mention it because I had one a couple of games ago.
    - a scrum half, inside his own 22m mis-kicked his box kick and just sliced the ball about 2m forward into touch
    - so all the players in and around the ruck were basically on the line of touch, and between 5m and 15m from the line.
    - but they were not in two lines, obviosuly, they are as you expect them to look from a tackle/ruck

- The oppo, given the field position, were of course very eager to take advantage of the mistake/confusion by taking a QTI ...

So - is the QTI on, because no one has formed a line out
    Or was the QTI never on, becasue we have several players from each side all on the LoT.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I mention it because I had one a couple of games ago.
    - a scrum half, inside his own 22m mis-kicked his box kick and just sliced the ball about 2m forward into touch
    - so all the players in and around the ruck were basically on the line of touch, and between 5m and 15m from the line.
    - but they were not in two lines, obviosuly, they are as you expect them to look from a tackle/ruck

- The oppo, given the field position, were of course very eager to take advantage of the mistake/confusion by taking a QTI ...

So - is the QTI on, because no one has formed a line out
    Or was the QTI never on, becasue we have several players from each side all on the LoT.
    We do not have any clear statement as to what constitutes a formed lineout for the purposes of stopping a QTI..All we have is a series of criteria that need to be met before everybody is legal in a normal lineout.

This doesn't cause a problem for a normal lineout - even if a player has chased 50m upfield , following a kick, everybody waits for him to get back.

The situation is also complicated if the lineout is not where the ball went out. Originally the ball had to be thrown straight even for a QTI, so you got players lining up to challenge for the ball where the ball went out, and not where a lineout would be formed. Did that count? I don't think the question was ever really answered.

In the absence of any clear guidelines, my instinct in your case is to stop the QTI because the situation is too confused.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If there are loads of players milling around at the LOT I tend to say "we have enough players here to form a lineout".

I know its a bit vague but it has never been questioned.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    The Laws state (and I paraphrase); two players from each team, but all players approaching the line out are considered to be participating.
    I don't agree with this. If 2 players from each team are 5 metres from LoT and approaching it, I will allow QTI until such time that they reach LoT
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information