Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RWC Aus vs Sco

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    Question:
    Maitland's deliberate knock forward.
    Good call or bad call?
    IMO, a very poor call.

A deliberate knock forward should be ruled on what the player actually does, not the situation or field position he is in.

There was no slap down; he put his hand in the way of the pass can came within an hair of it sticking. If he had done the exact same action while on attack, i.e. Australia running the ball out of defence 10m from their own goal-line, and with a Scotland defender outside him, would that still have been ruled a deliberate knock-on?

If Maitland managed to catch that, he is very quick... a length of field try was on the cards.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Brian Moore
    Ex England International Hooker

Soc/Assoc
    West London
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Whether anyone called the decision right at the time is not the point. Joubert made a decision he thought correct on what he saw. If he didn't see intentional playing of the ball by a gold player he should not guess.

What World Rugby have done is say having reviewed all the angles which you didn't have and we which confirm you were not entitled to ask for by the TMO, we say the decision was wrong. That is post fact substitution of his finding of fact, which many of you have told me is final, with another fact. Sole arbiter and all that? That fact was gained from extraneous knowledge that Joubert did not and could not have. You could go back through every decision he made and find the ones which from different angles and in repeated slow motion show that he erred.

Crowing about 'I called it right at the time' is juvenile. You weren't at pitch level and had the benefit of slow motion replays. He deserves support and I'm surprised that on here of all places there are so many arm-chair experts who do not give it.

He has been hung out to dry and it stinks.
    It's an appalling face-saving act and one that will come back to haunt them.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    IMO, a very poor call.

A deliberate knock forward should be ruled on what the player actually does, not the situation or field position he is in.

There was no slap down; he put his hand in the way of the pass can came within an hair of it sticking. If he had done the exact same action while on attack, i.e. Australia running the ball out of defence 10m from their own goal-line, and with a Scotland defender outside him, would that still have been ruled a deliberate knock-on?

If Maitland managed to catch that, he is very quick... a length of field try was on the cards.
    forget about slap downs, etc. IMO he never had any realistic prospect of catching the ball. Sticking a hand out and hoping for the best is not good enough.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bcm666 View Post

Crowing about 'I called it right at the time' is juvenile. You weren't at pitch level and had the benefit of slow motion replays. He deserves support and I'm surprised that on here of all places there are so many arm-chair experts who do not give it.

Bravo....

But can I say that many of the arm-chair experts on here are not, or were not, referees so I probably don't expect them to give CJs support and will excuse their ignorance (especially if they were supporting Scotland or 'not supporting' Aust) but it concerns me more is the ones that have refereed that are still hell bent in saying CJ 'should have done things different' on that call. This is more disappointing as they should know better how hard it can be to get the call 'right' and that's at the lowly levels of old fartonians!

As for WR....well we all know they only have their own personal agendas.....so no surprises there.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Various
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm666 View Post
    Well said Brian, and I'm sure all of us appreciate the profile you've given to this aspect of the discussion on Twitter and in the media.

It would be nice if other high profile personalities from Dawson and Hastings (Not to mention Kearns and Martin for that matter) took a similar pragmatic approach to the game and to the decisions made by referees rather than venting their spleens on what they perceive to be a conspiracy of JFK'esque proportions.

It took a couple of days an a bucket load of replays for us to come to a consensus on the PK on this site, among some extremely learned referees. So, other than those suffering from extreme confirmation bias, how anyone could be so sure in the immediate seconds of the incident is beyond me.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    forget about slap downs, etc. IMO he never had any realistic prospect of catching the ball. Sticking a hand out and hoping for the best is not good enough.

What, you mean like the Blue player who intercepted the Gregan pass (he was no closer to the ball than Maitland) and scored under the posts in the 73rd minute?

Do we really want to YC a player because his arms are an inch shorter than the next guy?

IMO, Maitland attempted to catch the ball one handed; there is nothing wrong with doing that. The YC was a crock of shite. CJ saw, in real time and ignored until he was convinced by the TMO and the slow-mo replay
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    My last 2 comments on this thread and then I'll give it away (not a promise....just a threat)

1) I thought it was a deliberate knock on vis a vis, not a genuine attempt to catch it but rather an attempt to spoil it. I thought the YC was harsh....but CJ is very consistent when he makes these calls...the perp always gets a YC for their troubles.

I personally judge the 'deliberate' knock on scenario like this by the shape of their hands at point of impact with ball. My 3 step thoughts are:
    1) Palms/fingers mostly facing up and I'm thinking players is making an attempt to catch - play on if goes back, knock on if goes forward (they're entitled to have a crack at playing the ball!)
    2) palms/fingers vertical or tending to face down then no real attempt to catch ball - PK if goes forward
    3) as per 2 but arm/hand in swatting sharp forward motion - if ball goes forward then PK with a possible/likely YC chaser!

My last point on the CJ call is this: IF WR make a change to the TMO review because of this and for such things to be looked at then by God be ready for every restart kick and lineout fingertip touch to be reviewed! . That will be a travesty and will be another way to slow up the game (the time wasted with scrum resets will become the least of our problems!).
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    IMO, a very poor call.

So how's your TMO technology working out for you Ian?
    The Maitland decision proves that even with TMO intervention, there is still no guarantee that the correct decision will be reached.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Various
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    So how's your TMO technology working out for you Ian?
    The Maitland decision proves that even with TMO intervention, there is still no guarantee that the correct decision will be reached.
    Nor can we be certain that match post-mortem or judiciary proceedings will be fair, consistent, logical or transparent... depressing isn't it? lol

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by the fat View Post
    so how's your tmo technology working out for you ian?
    The maitland decision proves that even with tmo intervention, there is still no guarantee that the decision that you think is correct will be reached.
    ftfy
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information