Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NZ v South Africa semi final

if they don't want advantage to go on they can just stop playing..

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    if they don't want advantage to go on they can just stop playing..
    or they can ensure that their team don't commit foul play?
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Back to the game - I think Garces had a decent match. I thought after the roasting CJ got in the previous week that a bit more caution would be used and the TMO would check tries. The Kaino try (as well as Drew Mitchell pass to AAC for final australian try) could definitely have got a closer look with better angles. The final pass was definitely forward, a better angle would be able to say whether it was forward off hand or not (hard to tell as the TV feed switches angles during the time of pass).

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    Anyway enough waffle....... back to the match.

Wanted people view of the PK "reversal" for he Mountfield neck roll?

Are we going to get into a situation where sides just won't want advantage, just in case some numpty gets it reversed? Although in this case it was a TMO reversal which I guess most of us will never have to face!
    It ended up being a big call with such a tight game - as there was already penalty advantage bang in front. The fact that JG was right there, yet saw nothing in it says something, but he was happy to go straight with the TMO recommendation.

Here is a youtube vid of the entire game, link should go to exact time(if it is still up) - 62:00
    https://youtu.be/4CVunzdvF6U?t=7519
    Attached Images

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    Yeah, like this is going to happen.
    http://www.espnscrum.com/2015-rugby-...ry/279875.html
    McCaw could be cited and miss final

I await Ian's reaction to this
    don't think there was any malice in it, McCaw has a good record in terms of foul play/citings and gets antagonised a lot. Not many picked up that he took Francois Louw out of the 2014 RC with a much worse clean out - purely coincidental that it is the same players

https://youtu.be/lhruLoscTus?t=368

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/09/3887/discussion-on-francois-louw-injury-from-richie-mccaw-cleanout

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Various
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shebeen View Post

https://youtu.be/lhruLoscTus?t=368

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/09/3887/discussion-on-francois-louw-injury-from-richie-mccaw-cleanout
    1. "Forward Pass"

The ball clearly traveled forward between passer and catcher. However, as we have discussed with regularity on this site, a forward pass is defined by the initial direction of the pass from the passer, not the path it travels over the ground. It's impossible to tell from the camera angles I saw if it came out of McCaw's hands forwards or not. I think he could have gone to the TMO for clarification, but maybe he and the AR had a better view. He didn't seem in any doubt, and the players didn't seem upset, so I'd say they know more than I do watching on TV and leave it at that.

2. McCaw "foul play"

As I said in an earlier post, you could have called it high contact, you could say that McCaw's line was odd, but its just incidental contact and we can leave it at that. Again, Louw didn't seem too perturbed, so why should we be? Even under the most stringent application of the law, the most you could ask for is a penalty for high contact. A citing would have been the cherry on the top of the shit sundae the judiciary have dished up this world cup.

The cleanout from 2014 is more interesting in that it mirrors the one for which Hooper was suspended against England. I think Mr McCaw might have had something to worry about after that one given the lack of a clear and obvious attempt to wrap his arms. Again, not because I feel it was suspension worthy, but mostly because of the similarity to Hooper's.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shebeen View Post
    Back to the game - I think Garces had a decent match. I thought after the roasting CJ got in the previous week that a bit more caution would be used and the TMO would check tries. The Kaino try (as well as Drew Mitchell pass to AAC for final australian try) could definitely have got a closer look with better angles. The final pass was definitely forward, a better angle would be able to say whether it was forward off hand or not (hard to tell as the TV feed switches angles during the time of pass).

It ended up being a big call with such a tight game - as there was already penalty advantage bang in front. The fact that JG was right there, yet saw nothing in it says something, but he was happy to go straight with the TMO recommendation.

Here is a youtube vid of the entire game, link should go to exact time(if it is still up) - 62:00
    https://youtu.be/4CVunzdvF6U?t=7519
    Ordinarily, I agree that the call could and probably should have gone upstaris if Garces was unsure. The thing here is that he was sure that the ball was not thrown forwards, and actually said so at the time. If you listen to the commentary, you can clearly hear Garces yell "backwards" just after McCaw throws the pass. If he sure enough to say this, why would he want it checked?

Also, the TMO will have looked at the pass anyway in the period before Carter kicked the conversion, and he was entitled to use the "check, check" protocol because he can intervene on any infringment within two rucks/tackles/mauls of a try being scored. So, even if Garces had gone to the TMO, the result would be the same; the pass was OK, the try is good.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 26-10-15 at 18:10.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information