ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Rwc nz v aus

Ok...first shot. image.jpeg

Actually I think it's pretty rank....but I still had to chuckle.

Unfortunately I think NZ will be too good for Aust. They're in good form and just clinical all over the park.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rwc nz v aus

We have reached the right final, but in totally the wrong way. As a result of France's capitulation, NZ has had only one real challenge - the Semi-Final against SA. Australia on the other hand has had to defeat England, Fiji, Wales and Argentina, and rely on the referee to overcome a huge Scottish challenge. That's 5 tough games against top-10 teams in five weeks, coupled with a day less to prepare for the final. World Rugby should hang its head in shame.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I do think that it is the "right" final. NZ are favorites in my mind. BUT I do thing that Australia are the best equipt side to defeat them. So it all makes for a cracker.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    We have reached the right final, but in totally the wrong way. As a result of France's capitulation, NZ has had only one real challenge - the Semi-Final against SA. Australia on the other hand has had to defeat England, Fiji, Wales and Argentina, and rely on the referee to overcome a huge Scottish challenge. That's 5 tough games against top-10 teams in five weeks, coupled with a day less to prepare for the final. World Rugby should hang its head in shame.
    well, one of Aus 5 top challenges was Argentina - and NZ had to play them as well as SA

but yes your overall point is completely correct, the seeding was a shambles, and then the luck of the draw meant that the poor seeding had the maximun possible impact.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Was it WR's fault that France surrendered?

Was it WR's fault that Roger Lewis and his money grabbing extra AI cost Wales a place in the top seeds?

Mind you had Wales been in the top seeds then Argentina would have been in Wales' seeding spot. So the group would have had Australia, England and Argentina in that group. Then Wales would have been in NZ's group in place of Argentina (you forgot that game I noticed - both Australia {29-15} and New Zealand {26-16} played against Argentina).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We'll be better for having taken the tough road. No serious injury cloud apart from Folou. NZ have been hot & cold throughout the pool games.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    GRRA
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think the Wallabies are a real chance, but it still comes down to the little thigs on the day. Its certainly the 2 best sides in the final. NZ have looked oddly flat this RWC, maybe its the lack of competition? They were particularly passive against a weak Boks side and Hansen will need to lift them if they are going to take the game from the Wallabies.

Looking forward to a cracker of a game and may the best team win! Good luck to my friends across the ditch, and good luck to the Wallabies.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Why?

I fully agree that the draw is done too far out, but under the situation of a non-global season, the distortions caused by annual touring draws and Lions tours and the clear fact that some teams use the intervening years to trial toward a RWC year rather than be as good as they can be at that point in time, what is the solution?
    12 months ago would Australia have been ranked number 2? I don't think so, even the WR rankings had them at 4.
    Logistical reasons mean that draws need to be done at some point prior to the tournament. When is that exact time? What do you suggest?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting that NZ are hot favourites... if you look at the teams they're almost the exact same teams that had Aus beat NZ by 8 points only a few months ago in the Tri (sorry Quad) Nations! Have the bookmakers got it wrong?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davidlandy View Post
    Interesting that NZ are hot favourites... if you look at the teams they're almost the exact same teams that had Aus beat NZ by 8 points only a few months ago in the Tri (sorry Quad) Nations! Have the bookmakers got it wrong?
    And close to the same team that ended up on the field in the second half when NZ beat Aust by 28 points a week later. (Cooper instead of Foley was the only real significant difference). It was the second half where all the dmamage was done; four converted tries unanswered until the last minute.

These two teams are so close that it really is going to come down to 1-2% in performance and execution. The team that gets that 1-2% right will win.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 27-10-15 at 20:10.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information