Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Flag up, ball not in touch

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    But as crossref says we do not have coordinated fixtures for the different sides in a club so they can be heading to the four winds.
    In some CBs their lower XVs play in the main leagues, so I once checked to see if they were co-ordinating the teams. It looked as if they generated the fixtures for each league independently using their standard Berger Lite algorithm.

I suggested to the RFU Competitions people that modern software would easily solve the problem, but they weren't interested. Surely some major company must already have the programs and number-crunching facility to do a once a year run for all RFU competitions? Suitable publicity might even persuade them to do it for free.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

where we are the competitions are all organised by different people.
    For instance 1st XV might play in RFU League..
    2nd XV in the Zoo Shield
    3rd XV in the Middlessex Merit

and other variations..

all with different organisers.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

and I believe in England you can only AR if you've been formally appointed. So if Nigel Owens was out walking his dog & offered to run touch, he wouldn't be able to be an AR. Over here, as long as you're qualified, you can be an AR.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    and I believe in England you can only AR if you've been formally appointed. So if Nigel Owens was out walking his dog & offered to run touch, he wouldn't be able to be an AR. Over here, as long as you're qualified, you can be an AR.
    I think I'd take the risk and appoint him myself
    Or more properly, if you happen to spot Jerome Garces and and Nigel Owens on your touchline, you could call the society and ask them to quickly make two appointments.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Or more properly, if you happen to spot Jerome Garces and and Nigel Owens on your touchline, you could call the society and ask them to quickly make two appointments.
    Not a chance in hell would I allow them to AR for me.....they will only end up trying to referee the game! They wouldn't be able to help themselves.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E:309351
    What's interesting to me about this is the trust that is given. In England, as you can see from the comments, we don't entirely trust club appointed TJs. And yet in Australia you trust club appointed ARs.. That's intriguing. Assuming your system works, you have to wonder what's got wrong for us.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What's interesting to me about this is the trust that is given. In England, as you can see from the comments, we don't entirely trust club appointed TJs. And yet in Australia you trust club appointed ARs.. That's intriguing. Assuming your system works, you have to wonder what's got wrong for us.
    You soon get a feel for whether or not a clubbie is trustworthy

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

in UK, if 2 ARs are appointed but only 1 turns up, what do you do? Have 1 AR and 1 TJ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    A cautionary tale on exactly that point:

One year, a team near me (not quite the closest - the next town) were doing quite well and I was unappointed on the weekend they played a County Cup semi-final at home, so I went and watched the game. Asked the home coach if I could relieve him of the burden of running the line, and he agreed. As with the Away side flagsman, I was of course a TJ rather than an AR.

Some time in the second half, all hell broke loose from a ruck 5m infield on my side. It started with an Away flanker putting a haymaker on an offside home flanker who was getting away with murder, and then escalated. The ref's view was obscured by the ruckers - some of whom were actually on their feet!

Ref dealt with it well - whistle, step back, observe who is running in from a distance, try to remember who threw the worst punches - until he decided to ask me what started it and whether a card was warranted. I was reluctant as I would be unable to write any report and his report could not really admit to approaching a TJ. Ref wanted to be able to get one from each side off for 10, so I gave him the number. It didn't go down well with the Away team, whose on TJ had a few people he wanted to report. Ref lost the goodwill of the Away side, and struggled to hold it together thereafter.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Not a chance in hell would I allow them to AR for me.....they will only end up trying to referee the game! They wouldn't be able to help themselves.
    Try "I don't believe we've met. I'm the referee. Now go over there and wave your flag when it goes into touch"
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Thread Information