Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    SERRS
    Grade
    L3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Incorrect Mark

I had a player ask me about a call made by a ref in an earlier game. Red kicks off to Green to start the game. Just before Green catches the ball he calls out Mark. As the player was about to get destroyed by the Red charge the ref blows the whistle to prevent dangerous play. Green makes clean catch. The ref explains to Green that they cannot call Mark from a kick off; however, he restarts with a scrum ball given to Green for the put-in.

Just curious about how others would have handled that. My thought is that if there was time I would call Play On loudly, but if not I would stop play to prevent a serious injury. Since Green caused the problem I would have probably given Red the option of re-kick, or scrum at the point of the error - put in to Red.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Incorrect Mark

I have no problem whatsoever with the whistle for safety's sake.

However, Red is clearly the "attacking side" (in Green half) and should have had the put in to the scrum.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't whistle; call "no mark" or "play on" or similar and there would be a brief explanation at the next appropriate moment.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

(d) Scrum after any other stoppage. After any other stoppage or irregularity not covered by Law, the team that was moving forward before the stoppage throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.

so red put in

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Agree red put in. Stopping play is the best if it prevents potential injury from the error. Only play on if practical and safe.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fzxjkg View Post
    I had a player ask me about a call made by a ref in an earlier game. Red kicks off to Green to start the game. Just before Green catches the ball he calls out Mark. As the player was about to get destroyed by the Red charge the ref blows the whistle to prevent dangerous play. Green makes clean catch. The ref explains to Green that they cannot call Mark from a kick off; however, he restarts with a scrum ball given to Green for the put-in.

Just curious about how others would have handled that. My thought is that if there was time I would call Play On loudly, but if not I would stop play to prevent a serious injury. Since Green caused the problem I would have probably given Red the option of re-kick, or scrum at the point of the error - put in to Red.
    So he stopped any sort of tackle happening before it occured, how did he know it was going to be a dangerous tackle?

IMO he got it wrong, should have just shouted "play on" and if there was an illegal action at the tackle stop it then.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    So he stopped any sort of tackle happening before it occured, how did he know it was going to be a dangerous tackle?
    This is one of those "know it when you see it" situations.

If the catcher appears to become relaxed after the catch and not prepared to be tackled, it may be prudent safety-wise to blow it up.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    AARQ
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'd say it depends greatly on the level being played and the apparent game knowledge of the players involved. If this was a game above the bottom level of senior rugby or top level schools or age grade, then play on. If this is inexperienced players who have no clue about what's going on, whistle and give the scrum to the kicking team.

On a side note, this once happened in a game I was playing in where one of our players' names was Mark and instead of saying "Mark's ball" he just yelled "Mark" off of the KO when he was inside his 22, not even realizing the situation. Ref just played on and the 2 of them had a bit of a chuckle at the next stoppage.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chrismtl View Post
    On a side note, this once happened in a game I was playing in where one of our players' names was Mark and instead of saying "Mark's ball" he just yelled "Mark" off of the KO when he was inside his 22, not even realizing the situation. Ref just played on and the 2 of them had a bit of a chuckle at the next stoppage.
    Had a similar one where everyone heard a loud "Mark, Mark". Turns out it was a dog with a hare lip. True story.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You cunny funt.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile