Soc/Assoc
    Berks
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ball dropped while trying to score

Quick one this...

Player drops ball as he crosses the line and it rolls forward, but not TIG, or over the DBL.

No-one does anything - they all look at it.

If defenders make it dead, it's a 22 DO.

If defenders pick it up and try and play on, then advantage to them...?

If attacker realises and tries to jump on it after he's dropped it, then knock-on and scrum 5 to defenders?

Nobody does anything though - so then it's a knock on, and scrum 5 with defenders put-in...?

Happened the other day. Everyone stopped and looked at the ball, then me. They all thought "oh, that's it, he's dropped it, it's a restart ..." And I gave a 22DO. But I guess I could've shouted 'still in play..?' And waited for someone to do something with it?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ball dropped while trying to score

Your 22DO restart was a mistake but if both teams bought it and play resumed without any problems, happy days. Though a learning point for next time.

Knock on in (or into) in goal is specifically covered in law:

12.1 The outcome of a knock-on or throw forward

(c) Knock-on or throw forward into the in-goal. If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.

(d) Knock-on or throw forward inside the in-goal. If a player of either team knocks-on or throws-forward inside the in-goal, a 5-metre scrum is awarded in line with the place of infringement not closer than 5 metres from the touchline. .
    "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
    (RON ATKINSON)

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming it's a knock-on, I'd have shouted "knock-on advantage (defenders), play on". I don't want to ruin their chance of a 100m break and glorious counter-try, after all.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

but surely
    - if an attacker knocks it on, and a defender gathers it and runs up field - play on
    - if a defender knocks on, and an attacker grounds it to score a try - try

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    but surely
    - if an attacker knocks it on, and a defender gathers it and runs up field - play on
    Yes - assuming you've given Advantage?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    but surely
    .... and a fine example of the inequity of current law. Don't get me started .......

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    .... and a fine example of the inequity of current law. Don't get me started .......
    you think defenders should be able to ground it for a 22m drop out ? So do I.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'd call a 22D/O (or a try in the reverse case) an advantage over a scrum. So they can... what's the problem?

(c) Knock-on or throw forward into the in-goal. If an attacking player knocks-on or throws-forward in the field of play and the ball goes into the opponents’ in-goal and it is made dead there, a scrum is awarded where the knock-on or throw forward happened.
    What ought one do when the knock-on occurs on the line (or within ~3m), next to a post? It's not a 5m scrum, but at the spot. So... shift everything along until the scrum is just safely outside the posts?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I'd call a 22D/O (or a try in the reverse case) an advantage over a scrum. So they can... what's the problem?

?
    I think they can't have a 22 D/O as the advantage because (e)

8.3 When the advantage law is not applied
    (a) Referee contact. Advantage must not be applied when the ball, or a player carrying it, touches the referee.
    (b) Ball out of tunnel. Advantage must not be applied when the ball comes out of either end of the tunnel at a scrum without having been played.
    (c) Wheeled scrum. Advantage must not be applied when the scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees (so that the middle line has passed beyond a position parallel to the touchline).
    (d) Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
    (e) After the ball has been made dead. Advantage cannot be played after the ball has been made dead.

but I don't really like this argument -- if red knock on inside the blue 22m, and blue kick for touch, we do call advantage over, and have the lineout.
    Last edited by crossref; 23-02-16 at 14:02.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Oxfordshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post

What ought one do when the knock-on occurs on the line (or within ~3m), next to a post? It's not a 5m scrum, but at the spot. So... shift everything along until the scrum is just safely outside the posts?
    You can't have a scrum In Goal. The place for the scrum is on the 5m in line with where the offence occurred

Thread Information