East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offside ingoal

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    Amazing what some people see....

• Red #12 loses the ball BACKWARDS. He is the defender..

That'll teach me to post a reply from the iPad first thing in the morning before at least one mug of Earl Grey tea

You are, of course right about the ball going backwards.

If this was realtime and I was on my own I would give PT as I firmly believe that the Red #5 has come into in-goal and played the ball without having been played onside by the actions of a team-mate, and that would mean he gets

Law 11.1 clearly states that:

A player can be offside in the in-goal (and as such he is "temporarily out of the game")

and IMO the Red #5 is not put onside by any of the actions in 11.2, or 11.3 and he offends under 11.7 - if we discover, after numerous TMO replays that the Red#13 has knocked the ball forwards and it hasn't been touched by White #9 - because he has come running into in-goal from the field of play (whereas the Red #13 is already in the in-goal area)

As an aside I am not comfortable with this "clear and obvious" knock on malarky. The player has made an attempt to play the ball and so there is intent to play the ball. The fact that the ball has bounced off his fingertips in the attempt because he misjudged the bounce, or whatever, why should that have a bearing on the decision?

--------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What would be unclear in real time is whether white knocked on first, and whether the final red knock on really went forwards (or did it go sideways and bounce forwards, so not a knock on)
    In real time I suggest you really woild not be sure what happened

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Took me ages to work out what had happened. I would have probably gone scrum 5 attacking ball in real time.
    If I'm not 100% certain what happened (it was very confusing with players travelling in the wrong direction) then I see no value in carding someone.
    No. Why give the card? .... The knock on by Red #13 isn't C&O from all angles, so not cynical in my view. If the ref needs a video to work it all out, we need to cut the players some slack here as well.
    Exactly.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No. Why give the card? It didn't (in my opinion) prevent a try, so not under PT law. Wasn't foul play. The knock on by Red #13 isn't C&O from all angles, so not cynical in my view. If the ref needs a video to work it all out, we need to cut the players some slack here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    No. Took me ages to work out what had happened. I would have probably gone scrum 5 attacking ball in real time.
    If I'm not 100% certain what happened (it was very confusing with players travelling in the wrong direction) then I see no value in carding someone.

100% these comments

If a video replay in slowmo from different angles is needed to determine what the ball did during all that pin-balling around, how on earth are the players supposed to work out what happened in a faction of a second, with one look, at full speed, from the singular, individual angles they had?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This caused some WTF? face pulling in my lounge room as I watched the game live on TV.
    Wife, daughter (whose name is Georgia but sometimes gets George for short from me) and daughter's friend are having drinks across the room. TMO George Ayoub comes out with the "but it's in-goal" line and I'm shaking my head saying, "No,no, no. Don't say that George!"
    Silence from other side of room and three women giving me the WTF face all wanting to know what was so bad about what my daughter had just said? "Not you darling", says I. "I'm talking to the TMO who should know better. I can't believe he just said that".

For what it's worth, I'm with Phil E. They replayed it multiple times to see if either white 9 or red 13 had grounded the ball. Doubt over grounding, 5m attacking scrum. Not sure if that was Phil's reasoning or if he believed red grounded the ball (after taking it in) but the result is the same.

If no-one had grounded prior to red 5, then it should have been a PK against red 5 for offside. No YC as red 13 was the next man there anyway.

If Angus Gardiner could have turned the microphones down, I reckon the conversation would have gone like this, "WTF are you talking about George?", at which point George would have realised what he had just said (I hope) and given himself a good upper-cut.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    [/LIST]
    As an aside I am not comfortable with this "clear and obvious" knock on malarky. The player has made an attempt to play the ball and so there is intent to play the ball. The fact that the ball has bounced off his fingertips in the attempt because he misjudged the bounce, or whatever, why should that have a bearing on the decision?
    C&O knock on by red, when? To me it looks as though red knocks the ball towards his own DBL, therefore Red #5 is not offside
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    C&O knock on by red, when? To me it looks as though red knocks the ball towards his own DBL, therefore Red #5 is not offside
    he knocks it twice, doesn't he : first time with his left hand, right from under white's hand to stop white scoring, that's def towards the DBL, so that's OK. then second time with his right hand - which seems to go away from the DBL (so forwards) putting his arriving team mates offside.

but not C&O in real time, no.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    You're missing my point, which is probably my fault. I was not, per se, referring to this particular instance but more making reference to the phrase "Clear and Obvious" in the referee review of (this) action replays when adjudging whether there has been a knock-on.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=The Fat;313231]This caused some WTF? face pulling in my lounge room as I watched the game live on TV.
    Wife, daughter (whose name is Georgia but sometimes gets George for short from me) and daughter's friend are having drinks across the room. TMO George Ayoub comes out with the "but it's in

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Does it matter which whether red 13 knocked it forward or back? Or as red 5 is in front of red 13, i.e. "in front of a team mate who last played the ball", is he offside until he's level with red 13 (which on the video appears to occur as he dives for the ball.)?

Thread Information